• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [CDMA] HTC Dev Unlock Help

ok so i'm back up and running with my new evo and am s-off hboot 1.40 :D i noticed on the downgrade toolkit/livecd there is a VM Radio fix. whats that about? something i should consider doing?

ok so i'm back up and running with my new evo and am s-off hboot 1.40 :D i noticed on the downgrade toolkit/livecd there is a VM Radio fix. whats that about? something i should consider doing?

Congrats :)

I'd say that radio fix was pre November ota. You likely already have the new radio. The original release had the older gb radio from the evo 3d. The November update added the newest radio. Those fixes are pretty much obsolete now. But you are s-off now, so you can flash any of the radios :)

Exactly what I was looking for :-) on the optimus v there were kernels that would allow forced usb fast charge. I know there are several kernels to choose from but any with fastcharge?

Just had a thought regarding the evo v. Could other checks be set using the same method as setting mainver?

not really. other partitions worthy of changing are write protected. hboot,and the cid blocks(p4 and p5) all fall under this category. if you were able to change hboot version number,in attempt to bypass the hboot check when running an ruu,the next partition will not find the proper siginiture,and throw the phone into a "do not boot" mode. cid blocks i do not *think* are signiture checked,but are write protected,preventing you from changing CID.

at least while s on ;)

while s off,you can modify pretty much anything you want. :)

what i did:

1. Run SRSroot
2. SmartRoot
3. follow directions up till it reboots the phone
4. the phone should start up but the only thing showing will be the status bar at the top
5. close SRSroot
6. Open Command prompt and start adb shell, it should give you a # at this point
7. follow scottys instructions to set mainver
8. follow unknownforces guide to downgrade hboot to 1.4
9. run 1.13 ruu

I don't want to come in here and jack this thread, but the OP linked me here from xda and I've been following along trying this method with no success yet. I follow these steps until I set the mainver to 1.00.0000 or whatever it's supposed to be following scotty's instructions, then use adb to reboot into bootloader at which point it reads my PG86IMG and attempts to patch it but I get Hboot version is older! Update fail! Press <POWER> to reboot.

If I'm following along correctly, at this point I should be heading into unknownforce's downgrade hboot and should be patching this PG86IMG and bricking the phone by pulling the AC cable out and back in at the right time.

Are these steps correct? What's causing my to be unable to patch my PG86? Setting the mainver is supposed to be the work around to be able to patch it correct?

I should also note, running stock Evo3D, hboot 1.58.0000, S-ON, LOCKED, and I used the OTA upgrade into ICS so I'm having the same trouble with HTCdev unlocking method. Any help would be greatly appreciated, been trying to root this thing for a while now and would love to actually make it happen!

hen use adb to reboot into bootloader at which point it reads my PG86IMG and attempts to patch it but I get Hboot version is older! Update fail! Press <POWER> to reboot.

if youre getting main version older! then is sounds like your lowering attempts were unsuccessful. if your main version were 1.00.000.0,then your attempts to flash PG86IMG would fail with a bootloader error,not main version. make sure you boot to fastboot,and verify the main version with fastboot getvar all or fastboot getvar mainver

as wraith learned,downgrading hboot without downgrading main version doesnt leave you with much opportunity ;) only after you have lowered main version can you attempt the h boot downgrade.

it may also be worth asking in jpbears IRC channel if the tool would work with temp root.

i.e.:
1. Run SRSroot
2. SmartRoot
3. follow directions up till it reboots the phone
4. the phone should start up but the only thing showing will be the status bar at the top
5. close SRSroot
6. run control bear

I actually solved this last night after some further persistance. What I did was temproot my phone using wraith's method, changed the mainver using your tips, then while the phone was still on and temprooted (before the adb reboot bootloader step) I ran a 2.89 RUU (I had trouble running the RUU before but I've done so many different things trying to root that I can't remember what I was doing that caused the RUU to error but I think it was because I was at 2.95 already). Anyway, ran the RUU in temproot and it worked fine. After that I was able to unlock my bootloader through HTCdev then use the Quick and Dirty guide over at xda to gain root, juopnutbear S-OFF, and install a 'clean' version of the stock ROM.

Maybe people having trouble unlocking through HTCdev could try this way. I wrote up a little cleaner instructions over on my post on xda I could copy over here too if people want.

EMBERSANENDERS, SCOTTY85, THEWRAITH420, I can't believe it!!! I had been trying to root this EVIL 3D FOREVER. I thought I had seen/tried everything, THANKS SO MUCH for the misc-version.img to reset the mainver!! And then to RUU 2.89 and then HtcDEV UNLOCK!!!! WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!

EMBERSANENDERS, SCOTTY85, THEWRAITH420, I can't believe it!!! I had been trying to root this EVIL 3D FOREVER. I thought I had seen/tried everything, THANKS SO MUCH for the misc-version.img to reset the mainver!! And then to RUU 2.89 and then HtcDEV UNLOCK!!!! WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!

Awsome sauce! Glad you are sorted :cool:

Back
Top Bottom