• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root CM4DX - Cyanogenmod

Status
Not open for further replies.
right? I just hope it gets completed. Like everything working. I wants it bad.
Oh, it will be. I've been talking to a few devs about it via PM and Twitter, and, basically, they're saying that since it can boot, it's only a matter of time before it works fully. Getting it boot is the biggest step-- everything else can be tweaked to work so LONG as you can get it to boot.

Upvote 0
this news is awesome... i really hope that we will be able to have access to all the tweaks that normal CM users have.

The only downside is that we are seeing this toward the end of the droid x's life... a lot of developers have already moved on to different devices but even still this is great stuff.

I honestly don't know why everyone talks about a phones "end of life". I meen really. With all the new mods, themes, roms, and now this coming out all the time, your phone can always feel new again. At least it does to me. And besides, everyone that falls into that money pit of " this phone isn't manufactured anymore so I have to move on to the next phone" isn't very bright and must have money to burn.

Upvote 0
I wasn't implying that the droid x has become obsolete and I plan on keeping mine for probably another year, but rather that it isn't seeing the kind of ROM development that it was earlier on simply because it isn't the top of the line device that it was.

I love the fact that there are still people ROMing and developing the droid but just imagine the options that we would of had if this had happened a year or 6 months ago.

Upvote 0
hmmm....honestly i probably like the blur enough not to even care if we get a working CM build....unless it could be done with an unlocked bootloader which we know won't happen. I'm not even considering giving Liberty or Apex a try

never the less it is Awesome to see the DX still getting some love especially since the DX's birthday is a few weeks away.

Upvote 0
Changed thread title

Good deal. Maybe that will draw some attention. I thought this would be big news here. I know I'm pumped. I know I've been acting kinda clueless on this 2init method (i am) but assuming that CM makes a rom built on ICS, can we get that actual version through this method or is the OS something that we need to update through the bootloader?

Edit: I found my answer. Apparently the kernel doesn't affect CM7 from getting all gingerbread features available to work. And that the D1 does this already on a froyo kernel. So it appears that the DX is very close to being supported with updates as long as the CM team chooses.

Upvote 0
I wasn't implying that the droid x has become obsolete and I plan on keeping mine for probably another year, but rather that it isn't seeing the kind of ROM development that it was earlier on simply because it isn't the top of the line device that it was.

I love the fact that there are still people ROMing and developing the droid but just imagine the options that we would of had if this had happened a year or 6 months ago.

No worries. I know what you meant. It just reminded me of the talk all the time about how a device is reaching its end of life. It makes no sense to me how a good majority of people can fall for that manufacturing ploy of cell makers.

Manufacturers discontinue a device so they can move on to something else to keep making money, that's fine, but the way they do it somehow makes people think their phone is somehow useless now.

Granted in time they will, and do, stop developing for that model. But that doesn't mean your phone is gonna stop working. And I know it's not so much about having the latest and greatest as it is about having a phone with the latest OS and features that people want to have.

You have to admit, cell makers discontinuing devices worked out better than they could have hoped. Forcing you to upgrade was the idea but man, they got people dropping phones long before development stops for them. I myself would love to have the DX2 but I'm not gonna rush out and spend that kinda money when I just finished buying my DX and learning how to tweak it out the way I like it.

There will be a day when even our devs will stop developing for our DX's. But until the day comes when my little DX is nothing more than a fancy calculator I'm not upgrading. Specially now with CM coming to the DX. I'm looking forward to the possibilities this brings us. And I'm dying to try this out.

Upvote 0
While I don't pretend to understand how this all works, this is definitely exciting news. It sounds like the next big step in DX development. While the bootloader is still locked (and therefore we won't be able to change the kernal), it sounds like this will really open the door to custom ROMs. Basically we won't have to wait on Moto to leak a google update to get it ourselves. This is especially big as we do get near the EOL of the DX as far as Verizon's official support (and therefore updates) are concerned..

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones