• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Coronavirus global pandemic

...and the plot thickens.

Now we know that the first person to die from coronavirus was Patricia Dowd, a 57-year-old San Jose woman. She was healthy, exercised regularly and ate a healthy diet, had no underlying conditions, and was on no medication.

Flu-like symptoms had her working from home for a few days. She seemingly recovered. She had communicated with a co-worker the morning of February 6th--and her daughter found her dead two hours later. Her death was originally ascribed to a heart attack, but now that our state is actively investigating deaths, given the COVID-19 situation, the coroner determined that's what killed her.

So--as of this moment--she is now the first COVID-19 death in the US. I'm very pleased that Gov Newsom is investigating deaths, going back to November, I believe, to document when this virus actually first arrived.

As with the aforementioned Santa Clara couple, Dowd had no recent travel history, and it's unknown how/where/when she contracted the virus.

I hope other states follow California's lead, and go back over deaths from before we ever heard of COVID-19. It could get very interesting.

I was watching the news after Mayor Garcetti's daily presser, where they summarize and add stats to what he said.

I'm thrilled by the results of a statewide survey, showing 75% of Californians support our 'safer at home' practice and want it to continue as long as necessary. As in 'necessary based on science and fact.'

The 11% who oppose it...maybe they should relocate to Georgia, Texas, or various other states with similar views. :rolleyes:

And what's up with the 13% undecided? :thinking:

An anecdote that caught my eye. We don't have organised protests against public health measures but we do have plenty of non-organised morons, and one bunch have created a legal first: after police were called to one house 30 times to deal with gatherings and house parties during the lockdown, after sending people away with a caution and issuing fines to repeat offenders made no difference, they have secured a "closure order" for the house. This is something that's normally done for pubs and clubs which seriously or persistently violate their licence conditions, but using one on a domestic dwelling is I think a first. What it means is that if anyone other than the residents is found in the property in the next 3 months the property's tenant could face a jail term of 6 months.

Some people really cannot take a hint...

Last edited:
the property's tenant could face a jail term of 6 months.

Some people really cannot take a hint...
No, indeed, some can't. I continue to be amazed at morons who, like your house participant example, continue disobeying the rules--and now they're being slapped with $1,000 fines. These are one-off people, not groups, like a surfer who'd been warned, disobeyed, and now has to cough up $1,000. :rolleyes:

This morning's fine example of stupidity: one couple's sense of entitlement led them to drive 300 miles to take a weekend "mini break" during lockdown. Since there are no hotels open they decided to park their car by the beachfront and sleep in that. Of couse with beaches being one of the prime sites where people violate the distancing rules, as anyone who has paid any attention at all would know, it would be hard to imagine a more sure-fire way of attracting the attention of the police and advertising that you weren't local.

But while this might be more than enough stupidity for most people, this couple were more ambitious in their idiocy. They decided to go for gold and do this with no driver's licence and no insurance for the car.

The reports say that they have been fined and the car seized. They don't say anything about how they got home...

Amazing! They weren't jailed? Now that I think about it how did they get home? I have a jail near me, always haved. I'd just take the T. Did they get jailed or not?
The articles don't say, but I would doubt they would jail them - they hadn't committed a jailable offence, and during a pandemic the only people you want to coop up in close quarters are those who really need to be off the streets. I don't know what the cops did, but what I'd have done would be to point them to the nearest train station and tell them to get themselves home.

Of course driving without a licence or insurance are both offences, so it's possible they'll face additional charges.

In the midst of all this gloom and doom, my local news is doing something right now that's hilarious. :D

On KTLA's weekend morning news, last weekend they came up with a funny, but great, idea: if they raised various levels of money, anchor Lynette Romero would cut off, perhaps completely, anchor Mark Mester's [storied] hair. The levels would determine the cut, e.g., a bowl cut, a buzz cut, etc. The goal for buzz cut was $100,000. Here's a before:

EEdnrdvVUAAgwUX.jpg

Yesterday, I saw that they were at $79,000-ish...so close, but just hours left... :thinking: I tossed in a little money and waited to see what happened today.

They surpassed $135,000! And off went Mark's hair--his glorious, thick, beautiful hair that women dream of running their fingers through. :eek:

Just FYI, the money raised was for the humanitarian aid organization, DirectRelief. All funds raised will go directly to COVID-19 relief.

Good job, KTLA!

In the midst of all this gloom and doom, my local news is doing something right now that's hilarious. :D

On KTLA's weekend morning news, last weekend they came up with a funny, but great, idea: if they raised various levels of money, anchor Lynette Romero would cut off, perhaps completely, anchor Mark Mester's [storied] hair. The levels would determine the cut, e.g., a bowl cut, a buzz cut, etc. The goal for buzz cut was $100,000. Here's a before:

View attachment 149889

Yesterday, I saw that they were at $79,000-ish...so close, but just hours left... :thinking: I tossed in a little money and waited to see what happened today.

They surpassed $135,000! And off went Mark's hair--his glorious, thick, beautiful hair that women dream of running their fingers through. :eek:

Just FYI, the money raised was for the humanitarian aid organization, DirectRelief. All funds raised will go directly to COVID-19 relief.

Good job, KTLA!
Where is the after shot? That was truly epic hair. Inquiring minds want to know.

Where is the after shot? That was truly epic hair. Inquiring minds want to know.
It was MORE epic than you can tell from photos!

Poor Lynette....she kept shaving and shaving.....and still couldn't see scalp. It was clear they'd intended this to fill one segment, but, NO!, they had to cut to a commercial break. She finally got done just as they were signing off. :eek:

See for yourself!

Fifty to 100 million people died from the Spanish Flu, and many were of a similar mindset, but there is no telling how many needlessly died because some decided to ignore the rules and guidelines.
A reference I've heard a lot lately here in CA is how, a century ago, San Francisco did pretty much what we're doing now, staying at home, to stem the deadly flu. Then, thinking the worst was over, they eased up--prematurely, it turned out--letting people resume their normal lives. They were hit with a second, much deadlier wave...

That old adage about history, learning from it, not repeating its mistakes, yeah, I think that's apropos now. Too bad some people are just too stupid to get it.

A reference I've heard a lot lately here in CA is how, a century ago, San Francisco did pretty much what we're doing now, staying at home, to stem the deadly flu. Then, thinking the worst was over, they eased up--prematurely, it turned out--letting people resume their normal lives. They were hit with a second, much deadlier wave...

That old adage about history, learning from it, not repeating its mistakes, yeah, I think that's apropos now. Too bad some people are just too stupid to get it.
at this point i think it is survival of those that listen. let those who do not listen devolve, while those who listen will evolve and be stronger in the long run. i also read where a few of these organizers are now getting the virus....serves them right!!!!!

on another note, it is very sad that our most vulnerable at nursing homes are getting hit hard. i have 2 accounts that are nursing homes. both are hit pretty hard by the virus. one of them have 18 residents with the virus and 1 has passed away from it. it sucks cuz the folks there love their fish tanks and i can't go there to take care of it. i think both places the national guard have been deployed to help manage the crisis there.

Last edited:
That sucks, @ocnbrze, that you can't service them now.

You're right about the National Guard--I saw on the news yesterday(?) that they've been deployed to nursing homes here to help out.

What really annoys me about the anti-shelter folks is their arrogance, and ignorance, when they say, 'I'll take my chances!' No, dumbass, you're not just taking YOUR chances, you're taking MINE, too. :mad: They seem clueless that they can become infected, be asymptomatic, go merrily about their business and transmit it to everyone else.

THEY may be lucky, and be able to stave off the ravages of this virus, but what about people they come into contact with? Young, old, able-bodied and infirm have died from it. DIED. What gives them the right to endanger other people's lives?

Of course, if we had an intelligent 'leader,' who believed in science, we'd be much better off. :mad:

the small business relief bill that helped small businesses does not seem to be written well and that stricter guidelines should have been in place.

the reason why i say this is because i just read that the Lakers got 4.6 million as part of the program. how is this possible....ITS THE LAKERS!!!!!! like they need it.

https://www.latimes.com/sports/lake...k-small-business-coronavirus-ppp-relief-funds

i am very glad that they at least returned the money back to the government. but that is just ridiculous!!!!!

Last edited:

Humans as a whole are pretty bad at judging risks that we've not experienced personally. The fact that they are documented doesn't help that much, especially when people see an upside to doing what they want (like more freedom or more money). Hell, even when they have experienced them they find it hard to learn: how many times do you have to live through the crash of a bubble fuelled by imaginary asset prices before you learn the lessons, after all?

on another note, it is very sad that our most vulnerable at nursing homes are getting hit hard. i have 2 accounts that are nursing homes. both are hit pretty hard by the virus. one of them have 18 residents with the virus and 1 has passed away from it.
Frankly if it stays as only 1 out of 18, and if they can keep other residents from being infected, then they'll be doing well and should count themselves lucky.

Back
Top Bottom