• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Coronavirus global pandemic

so one of the tragic thing about this pandemic here in the US is how impacted meat processing plants are. and yet our president is forcing them to work under terrible conditions and a bunch of factories are now closed. of course this is now affecting me in that i is getting harder to find good quality of meats. for me the best source of meat i have found here in LA is from Costco. however, because of what is going on, meat are not as available. and Costco is now limiting the amount consumers can buy. it is just 3 per customer of any beef, poultry, and pork. seafood there is no limit. i was hoping to find more ribeye caps.....NOPE!!!!!!! of the beef they had i only found ground beef. they had a decent selection of pork, so i bought a huge package of boneless pork chops. i found some party wings which i love. and i could not pass up the ground beef.

i do not like hording, but if meat is going to become scarce in the near future, this is one area i can understand the concept to a degree. i am debating if i should go back today to get some more to freeze for later.

Not a problem for me, @ocnbrze! :D

Now is a great time to explore the plethora of amazing vegan/vegetarian foods we have today. When I went vegetarian in 1988--in Texas, no less--it was very difficult. Not today! Everyone from Carl's Jr to El Pollo Loco to Del Taco now offer vegan/vegetarian proteins. Or just browse what's available at any supermarket. No need to hoard cruelly-produced meat when there are so many compassionate alternatives available!

Not a problem for me, @ocnbrze! :D

Now is a great time to explore the plethora of amazing vegan/vegetarian foods we have today. When I went vegetarian in 1988--in Texas, no less--it was very difficult. Not today! Everyone from Carl's Jr to El Pollo Loco to Del Taco now offer vegan/vegetarian proteins. Or just browse what's available at any supermarket. No need to hoard cruelly-produced meat when there are so many compassionate alternatives available!
nope!!!!!! i am a carnivore at heart. do not get me wrong i love veggies. but i could not survive without some kind of meat in my diet.

the fight that is going on in these meat packing facilities is just terrible. and the fact that our government is urging them to not close down and to continue to work is atrocious and despicable.

i guess i will become a pescaterian at some point. hopefully fishermen will not succumb to this virus as well....crosses finger

Last edited:
the fight that is going on in these meat packing facilities is just terrible.
It pales in comparison to the heinous cruelty inflicted on sentient beings in the meat industry. :o

By the way, you're not a carnivore--you're an omnivore. Carnivores ONLY eat animal flesh--think lions. [They may chew on grass, too, but meat is their only nutrition.] Omnivores, in addition to the flesh of other sentient beings, also consume fruit, vegetables, nuts, chocolate, coffee, wine, beer, etc. :)

This is why we can't beat this thing ... we were just notified that a fellow employee tested positive for COVID-19. Because of HIPAA, we are not allowed to know who that person is, other than they were quarantined as soon as they tested positive. The thing is, the reason they were tested in the first place was because they were exposed to a family member who tested positive, but continued to come to work until they got the test results. This person was completely asymptomatic, and most likely shedding the virus all over the place for several days.

I have been working from home since the first week of April, but as fate would have it, I went into the office on Friday because of IT issues that needed my hands on them. I may have been exposed, or maybe not. I doubt "possibly being in the same building as someone whom I can't identify" is reason for testing right now. Otherwise I feel fine. But, that's it for me in terms of going to the office. We had a few who decided to come back after working from home for several weeks. I was feeling a little pressure to return, too.

Essential workers are essentially screwed, no matter how many times you call them "heroes". :(

I read today of a study performed in a major Cambridge (UK) hospital where they tested staff across April: they found 3% of the staff turning up for work tested positive. About half had had symptoms more than a week before the test and self-isolated, but still tested positive after they returned, the rest were asymptomatic or had very mild symptoms which they'd not recognised.

Hospital staff will get more exposure than most, but yeah, you should assume that in any workplace there will be people who have it and don't know.

Meanwhile I read that a cluster of more than 70 cases had been found amongst people who attended one of those stupid anti-distancing rallies. It won't be the last...

Last edited:
A bunch of morons in Pasadena attended a birthday party, despite stay-at-home orders. They're shown partying it up, right up against each other, no face coverings in sight--and now there's a huge outbreak among them. Who knows how many others they've infected? :mad:

@lunatic59, I'm glad you're working from home, and I hope you'll be able to continue doing so.

HIPAA has been a very good thing, for example, preventing witch-hunts from testing HIV+. But, unlike HIV, COVID-19 can be transmitted through [VERY] casual contact. I'm not advocating abolishing HIPAA, but it seems like a no-brainer that its rules should be modified for diseases like this.

I'm not advocating abolishing HIPAA, but it seems like a no-brainer that its rules should be modified for diseases like this.
When you write broad sweeping laws, you have unintended consequences.

I think the public health should take priority over personal privacy, and that the government should use that information responsibly.

You can stop laughing now.

First off they' already did something stupid probably to get there, now what if they succeed in getting it and can't get out or get help and they die in jail............. then their family sues the state over their stupidity.
You know...you're right. In this land of 'sue and get millions for spilling hot coffee on MYSELF,' yep, there will be lawsuits won...for many millions of dollars... *SMH*

i do not understand Wisconsin's Supreme Court ruling.......it's utterly shameful.

after their ruling....this happened:

i'm sorry, but that nurse should be fired!!!!!!!

It's what happens in a system where judges are political appointees.

Meanwhile I noticed this week that one of CERN's rules for working in the time of Covid-19 is that you cannot use office air conditioning. I found it hard to imagine that being adopted in some parts of the States even if the alternative is spreading viral particles (I know how wedded they are to it in Bay Area California, where the summer climate is perfectly fine without it, so imagine it's worse in other places).

A friend in the US emailed me this shot of a restaurant bill.

Screenshot_20200516_091646_com.google.android.youtube.jpg

Is that actually happening in the United States now? A Covid 19 tax?

I heard about that happening on the news. Not here in LA. There was such an uproar over it, the restaurants removed it--and raised their prices instead. I wonder if their customers will notice? And bitch about it?

They could add a 2% increase in their "gratuities" or "service charge" part of the bill, and hopefully customers won't notice. But of course they could just raise their menu prices slightly. Either of which is a lot more discrete than "Covid 19 Surcharge" on the bill.

Last edited:
I heard about that happening on the news. Not here in LA. There was such an uproar over it, the restaurants removed it--and raised their prices instead. I wonder if their customers will notice? And bitch about it?
to be honest....i would be more than happy to pay that tax. those who are open and are putting themeslves and their families at risk deserve to get paid for that risk.

but i know that the general public is selfish and i would expect backlash for it. we only like to think about ourselves and not how it will impact others. it is always me me me!!!!!

I'm with you, @ocnbrze. I so appreciate the people making it possible for the rest of us to eat, I'm tipping quite generously each time I have groceries delivered. They're out there putting their own health on the line so we can function, and I think it's the least we can do to show them a little appreciation. Ditto for restaurants and their deliveries. Screw the 'me! me! me!' folks. :mad:

its the me me me folks who are protesting to open up. it's the me me me people who show up at a bar with no masks. its the me me me people who will not listen to science and the medical experts. its the me me me people who hoard all the paper products.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom