• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Coronavirus global pandemic

Yeh, I know with some of those American pastors and their church businesses can be extremely lucrative for them, and some are billionaires.

God bless the late Robert Schuller.
Off-topic, but my "favourite" was Oral Roberts: I remember him saying that God had told him that if he didn't reach his target in his current fundraising drive he would be "taken home". I was amazed that his followers seemed to accept this: I would have thought that if you wanted to illustrate the concept of blasphemy then accusing God of demanding money with menaces would do nicely.

Depite the fact that we've been in an lockdown for three months and shut down a $22T global economy over a virus with a 0.1% death rate, the Darling Bride and I are taking the opportunity to grow our own grocieries again in a raised garden. Lots of good stuff growing, although she really like beets. Lots of lots of beets! YUK - but she learned a trick from an old farmer when she was a girl: we were trashing a beat-up, old dresser. We saved back two drawers (they're in great condition); I drilled holes in the bottoms and lined them with weedblock for drainage and retention of contents; we're putting them on saw horses, filling them with soil and she can grow all the beets she wants in them. And that leaves room in our garden for food I consider edible...

:D

Just a note about this thread. We are all suffering from the global pandemic in one way or another and we recognize there are both strong emotions and opinions at play. Let's keep this thread committed to expressing ideas and disseminating information to ease our frustrations. If you wish to express a political opinion about this pandemic, we have a different venue for that.

https://androidforums.com/threads/covid-19-and-politics-the-civil-edition.1325257/

Thank you.

With states reopening, what are you doing to stay safe? Keep in mind that although we may be allowed to resume some of our normal activities, the virus has neither vanished nor lost its ability to kill.

I saw a fairly comprehensive list of "re-opening" activities and their respective level of risk. Top of the list (most risky) was eating at a restaurant with an indoor dining room, attending large gathering functions like sporting events or weddings, and attending church services. It had mostly to do with number of possible contacts, proximity to those contacts and length of exposure.

I will miss my favorite eating establishments, at least for a while. I won't be going to the ball games if they ever play again, and church? Not likely.

They placed shopping as medium to low risk, but that's dependent on how each store adapts to customer distancing policies.

EDIT: Found the article ... Is it safe to go to the beach?

Already got my hair cut today with my mask on. mostly going to grocery shopping, and phone shopping soon.
Just trying to get my mind off things ya know..

Better get used to that.

I have....
Screenshot_20200606_112746.jpg

NILEPPEZ DEL is my favourite rock group.

Last edited:
just went to a sushi restaurant the other day and actually sat down to eat with a friend. i was way nervous and it felt uncomfortable and good to be out all at the same time. they spaced the tables out, but it looked way empty.

not sure if i want to do that again or not. i think i'll wait until those numbers here in Cali come down again as they are on the rise.

and please y'all wear a mask;):maskeddroid:;):maskeddroid:

Just saw a very sobering headline: California shatters its one-day record of new COVID-19 cases, with over 6,000 reported Monday.

*SMH*
the only thing is that testing has ramped up so new cases will go up. from what i have been reading is that is only part of what we should be aware of. the others are the number of cases vs hospitalizations....which i think has been pretty steady which is a good sign.

https://www.latimes.com/california/...-coronavirus-deaths-as-more-businesses-reopen

Even as Los Angeles County continues to report high numbers of new coronavirus cases each day, the county remains well-positioned in its fight to slow the virus’ spread, making it possible for more sectors of the economy to reopen, health officials maintained Friday.

The county reported 1,414 new cases of the virus and 38 related deaths. Eighteen of the deaths were among residents in skilled nursing facilities, who now account for a total of 1,437 deaths.

But two key indicators — the positivity rate and average number of daily hospitalizations — have continued to remain relatively steady, while average daily deaths have declined, officials said.

“The most important data continues to be looking at our death data and our hospitalization data and our rate of positivity, and ... all of the indicators really point to the fact that we are fairly stable and that we in fact continue to slow the spread of COVID-19,” Barbara Ferrer, the county health director, said Friday.

the others are the number of cases vs hospitalizations....which i think has been pretty steady which is a good sign.
Unfortunately several states are showing record numbers of hospitalisations as well as cases.

We'll see how it goes in the UK. They are loosening several things at once here, and while the R rate is lower than it was when they first "locked down" it's still fairly high (the infection rates have only been dropping slowly for the last several weeks) and the daily infection numbers are very close to what they were when the lockdown started. So if they've misjudged this (which includes judging how people will interpret things) the potential to take off again is there. It's a dangerous time.

I agree it's sending all the wrong signals.

Timings were unclear, announced too soon and being misinterpreted widely already.

A lot of people are behaving abominably.

Boris playing to the public and commerce after the Cummings affair.

Restrictions have to be eased at a risk eventually, but they seem to want to wash their hands of it too soon. (not intended)

More importantly there are virtually no sanctions and monitoring by HSE in place for disregarding the new guidelines in July. This was discussed widely on radio today.

The criteria for getting tested are still ridiculous imv.

This could become immensely worse, even with more understanding of CVD and improved resources, but I hope not.

Last edited by a moderator:
To add a bit of anecdotal information, friends of my employer who have a college-age daughter had been staying inside and social distancing in central PA. Pretty isolated by US standards. The daughter badgered the parents until they capitulated and took her to what they thought was a safe vacation spot. The beaches of South Carolina. All three have now tested positive for COVID and from what I understand, the father is now hospitalized. :(

A lot of people are behaving abominably.
Indeed. Dr Barbara Ferrer [the head of LA's public health department] reports that she, and other public officials, have received death threats. As she noted, "we didn't create this virus." They're just doing their jobs, updating us daily with facts and statistics about COVID-19. And advocating for continued personal responsibility. Go figure...

I do think it must be scarier in the US, with large portions of Joe Public wanting to believe what Donald wants to tell them.

This is (probably) racist but many temporary European manual workers here don't give two hoots about the country, anybody and anything and it's depressing in a big dense city.

There was a time when people invented deities to explain things. Today we have aliens, conspiracies and Mark Zuckerberg. :(

I do think it must be scarier in the US, with large portions of Joe Public wanting to believe what Donald wants to tell them
When you have an imbecile advocating injecting COVID-19 patients with bleach to, you know, kill the virus, and NEVER wearing a mask, even when visiting medical facilities where he was told ALL visitors must do so, and the collective IQ of his supporters is <100...yeah, you're in trouble. :rolleyes:

This is (probably) racist but many temporary European manual workers here don't give two hoots about the country, anybody and anything and it's depressing in a big dense city.
I think the word here is "nationalist" rather than "racist", though I regard the two as closely related and equally bad. I'm afraid I'm with Primo Levi on anything that divides people into "us" and "them".

However I've also seen many UK-born people who seem unable to understand that the rules are serious and apply to them as well as others (including some in senior roles in Government, as well as in the streets and supermarkets). I think the truth is that there are selfish idiots everywhere.

Back
Top Bottom