• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Coronavirus global pandemic

@MoodyBlues
I had been watching his daily briefings regularly on YT, and follow some critical channels and whassisnames nightly show. Seeing Birx cower, the LasVegas Mayor look ridiculous by Anderson? etc it has been entertaining. I love the US and the people btw.

At least you all can rest easy now as the infections won't increase if Donald stops the testing. That is brilliant. :)

The trouble is that if someone had written a TV show in which a President of the USA advocated injecting bleach or inserting a UV light in order to cure a virus, released federal guidelines and then used Twitter to tell people to ignore them, boasted about his ratings after a news conference, left States bidding against each other to buy medical and protective equipment and then set the federal agencies into competition with them, it would only work as some sort of screwball comedy because for any other genre the script would have been rejected as too unbelievable.

Unfortunately several states are showing record numbers of hospitalisations as well as cases.

We'll see how it goes in the UK. They are loosening several things at once here, and while the R rate is lower than it was when they first "locked down" it's still fairly high (the infection rates have only been dropping slowly for the last several weeks) and the daily infection numbers are very close to what they were when the lockdown started. So if they've misjudged this (which includes judging how people will interpret things) the potential to take off again is there. It's a dangerous time.
yeah but i was thinking more of LA and Ca then any where else. LA and Ca is doing a decent job though the number of cases are climbing. our hospitalization rate is holding steady if you read the article i linked.

i would not want to be living in Arizona right now, nor Florida for that matter.

LA may be doing OK, but CA as a whole actually recorded a record number of hospitalisations yesterday. Some parts of the state are not doing so well.

But yeah, Florida is a mess, the rise in cases in Texas has reached the point where Houston ICUs are almost at capacity, and Arizona is simply out of countrol: the number of cases is rising exponentially, which is a significant statement in an epidemic (and I really don't believe that the number of tests is rising that way). There are places I'd definitely not want to go at the moment.

I think the word here is "nationalist" ...

I was listening to a Dr. speak on the U.S. COVID response (failure) and he cited the Japanese nation, who are among the top cultures with strong nationalist feelings. When they are told to wear a mask to protect each other, they don't question or complain. That I would consider a positive nationalism. Building a useless wall to keep people out, not so much.

If I pretended that "President Trump" is a satirical TV show I quite enjoyed the episode yesterday where he visited Arizona and claimed that "the wall has kept covid out" on the day the state recorded a record 3,600 new cases.

Then I remember that this isn't a joke.

The trouble is that if someone had written a TV show in which a President of the USA advocated injecting bleach or inserting a UV light in order to cure a virus, released federal guidelines and then used Twitter to tell people to ignore them, boasted about his ratings after a news conference, left States bidding against each other to buy medical and protective equipment and then set the federal agencies into competition with them, it would only work as some sort of screwball comedy because for any other genre the script would have been rejected as too unbelievable.
You left out: bragged that more than a million people requested tickets to his first political rally, overflow seating was built to accommodate the huge crush...then played to a near-empty stadium. The overflow seating was discreetly dismantled. Out of the 1,000,000+ people who wanted tickets, only some 6,000 showed up. No masks in sight. :thinking:

OK, I don't want to spread despondency, but this graph from the Financial Times shows 7 day rolling averages of confirmed covid cases. The highlighted lines are US and UK because those are the defaults. The rate at which the US curve is rising is alarming, and it's already returned to the level it was at the peak.

Guess what: the virus doesn't care about your politics, your re-election plans, or the fact that you are fed up with restrictions. If you return to your old ways while there's still a lot of it in circulation, it will return to its old ways.

Untitled.png

This is exactly the topic that is being discussed everywhere. It seems to me that this virus is not as dangerous as everyone says it is. The media simply inflate this problem to a large scale
If you look at the excess mortality figures it's plain to anyone that it is dangerous. You'd not have had refrigerated trucks handling morgue overflows or mass graves in New York if this was not the case. Or to pick a current example, ICU departments full in parts of Texas this week.

On the question of masks, remember that the main purpose is to protect others, not protect yourself. You might be unaware that you have an asymptomatic infection, but the virus you pass on could kill others. It's really that simple. There is no good reason not to wear as mask (though there are bad ones).

By the way it now seems clear that it can do long term lung damage to survivors of severe infection, and there's growing evidence of neurological impacts as well. And whether an infection becomes severe seems to depend on how much of it you are exposed to, so bad behaviour increases the risk of severe consequences as well as of infection. I'd not be too casual about it.

(BTW a lot of my friends are medics who are dealing with this day by day, and I have a family member who is a medical statistician analysing this. And by background I'm a scientist in a field where statistical techniques are extremely important. Just to let you know where I'm coming from).

This is exactly the topic that is being discussed everywhere. It seems to me that this virus is not as dangerous as everyone says it is.
how does it seem to you that it is "not as dangerous as everyone says it is"? where are you getting this idea? Fox News? where is the evidence that makes you think this?

the thing is is that this virus can infect people and they may not even know this. so yes you could have the virus and not get sick. but the thing is that if you are one of those people, then you are way more dangerous then you would know. you could be infecting other people. your friends, your family......they could all be in danger because of you. and if any of them has any conditions such as asthma(like me) or diabetes(type 2), they are screwed!!!!!!!

so if you care about your loved ones......WEAR A MASK.....and practice social distancing.

The media simply inflate this problem to a large scale
if this is the case, then visit any of the virus hotspots right now. go into anyone of their hospitals and talk to the doctors there. go into the icu ward( if they let you) and see that how many beds are available. in texas i read that in one hospital they were at 97% capacity!!!!!

and since when do people stop listening to doctors? talk to any one who is in the front lines trying to help those infected. you do not have to watch it or read it from the media. there are tons of youtube videos and facebook postings from real doctors who are trying to let people know what it is like out there.

THIS THING IS REAL AND YOU NEED TO RESPECT IT.

and like @Hadron said, the mask is not for you. it is to protect others from you. anyone could potentially be the carrier for the virus...even you. the mask, if anything, is symbolic as well. it says that you respect others about their concern for the virus. it says that you respect everyone's concern for health. by not wearing one in public says that you are selfish and that you do not give a f@ck about anyone else but yourself. so..........

PLEASE WHERE A MASK

Last edited:
This is exactly the topic that is being discussed everywhere. It seems to me that this virus is not as dangerous as everyone says it is. The media simply inflate this problem to a large scale
I'm glad two of my buddies already said everything I would have, and then some, and did it politely...which is more than I can say I would have.

Last edited by a moderator:
The instuctions from a certain laboratory I sometimes work at state that you put the mask on once, in a way that minimises the contact between your fingers and the mask, and then you don't touch it. I assume this is either because they don't want you transferring viral particles from your fingers to the outside of the mask (where they can be blown off) or because they don't want you transferring viral particles from the mask to your hands and then spreading them around, not sure which. But either way they'd frown on moving the mask down and up again.

That said, with the non-medical masks I have at home I end up fighting a constant battle not to steam up my specs (even with nose clips), so rules about minimising contact between hand and mask don't stand a chance...

The instuctions from a certain laboratory I sometimes work at state that you put the mask on once, in a way that minimises the contact between your fingers and the mask, and then you don't touch it. I assume this is either because they don't want you transferring viral particles from your fingers to the outside of the mask (where they can be blown off) or because they don't want you transferring viral particles from the mask to your hands and then spreading them around, not sure which. But either way they'd frown on moving the mask down and up again.

That said, with the non-medical masks I have at home I end up fighting a constant battle not to steam up my specs (even with nose clips), so rules about minimising contact between hand and mask don't stand a chance...
yeah i have not found a solution to not having my glasses fog up when i have a mask on. i have tried almost everything to no avail. the only that works is that i take my glasses off when i wear a mask. luckily for me i am near sighted. i really only need my glasses when i'm driving....and since i'm in my car, i do not have my mask on.

Hah, the other week I thought I'd sussed it: put a mask on, went out, no fogging or anything. Was congratulating myself on finally managing to solve the problem when I realised that the houses on the other side of the road were a bit blurry... yup, I'd forgotten to put my glasses on!

I don't know about anyone else, but my governor's and mayor's new orders mandating certain re-closures didn't surprise me one bit.

The dramatic increase in infections and hospitalizations certainly warranted these orders. Sure, it's sad that our beautiful coastline can't be enjoyed over the 4th of July weekend...but it's better than the alternative.

Back
Top Bottom