• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Coronavirus global pandemic

You're right...unfortunately. States like Texas, filled with the type of people you mentioned, are reopening while their COVID-19 cases and deaths are increasing. *SMH*

its the me me me folks who are protesting to open up. it's the me me me people who show up at a bar with no masks.
Literally so, since the primary purpose of masks is to protect others from being infected by you, yet these people seem unable to accept that their "freedom" comes at the cost of everyone else's.

"I have a right not to distance, I have a right not to wear a mask" is no different from "I have a right to drive drunk".

But at the risk of being political, Western societies, and the US more than most, have had decades of individualist consumerist ideology thrust down everyone's throats. Selfishness is part of the human makeup anyway, but when you live in an environment which encourages and validates individual gratification, and frequently denegrates collective measures, it's hardly a surprise if there are people who struggle to understand and accept its limits.

Last edited:
And now, for your consideration, I present today's candidate for the Darwin Award:

"Raging Hollywood Hills house party ends when man shoots himself in groin, police say.

Officers received a complaint of a loud party at 1410 Miller Drive at about 11 p.m., said Los Angeles Police Lt. Mark Chong.

When they responded, they found that more than 100 people were gathered at a short-term-rental property that appeared to have been reserved for the occasion, he said.

The officers heard a single gunshot and called for backup units, Chong said. An investigation revealed that a man had been shot in his groin area. The wound is believed to have been accidentally self-inflicted.

The man was taken to a hospital. His injuries were not life-threatening, Chong said."

Oh, well, there's always next time!

The officers heard a single gunshot and called for backup units, Chong said. An investigation revealed that a man had been shot in his groin area. The wound is believed to have been accidentally self-inflicted.

The man was taken to a hospital. His injuries were not life-threatening, Chong said."

Oh, well, there's always next time!
So he thought it would be cool to stuff a gun down his pants? Rule 1: movies are not real life...

Anyway he may still qualify for that Darwin: the award is for removing yourself from the gene pool, so an accidental self-sterilisation also counts ;)

Very antisocial.
I Get Japan now.

I think the word you are looking for is "sociopathic".

Japan? they are not anti-social. with that many people living on an island close together, they have to be very social people. they are just smarter than us.

I do believe Bobby's comment was about understanding how the Japanese can live so closely together and still have a great respect for their culture and society -- at times over their individual needs.

OK, a bit of background first. There has been a slight loosening of restrictions in the UK, but only in England (health matters are devolved, though Johnson seems to find it hard to actually admit that and usually talks as if it were not so). This means that in England you can drive off somewhere to exercise, but not in Scotland, Wales or Northern Ireland. The fact that these restrictions still apply in the other countries has been widely publicised, with regional Governments and police both issuing statements that people should not drive to these countries.

So what do you say to the man who drove from Devon in South-West England to Brecon, a popular walking spot in Wales, who when caught told the police that he was there to buy dog food? That's a drive of 140 miles each way...

I'd have been tempted to find some other charge that I could add to the spot fine, to teach him not to try it on.

So now that the country and even some parts of the world are opening up for business, i think it is important to discus the use of wearing face masks. Even if it is ok to start the economy up again, you shouod still wear a mask. a facemask has some new social meaning now then it did before.

When you go out in public by wearing a mask you are showing your respect for others. You are showing that you are concerned about the virus. You are showing your solidarity with your fellow friends and neighbors.

Also it will actually prevent the spread of the virus. if you did get infected, but you wear a mask, you are less likely to infect others. Masks are pretty good at dispersing the aerosols that you breath out. instead of an outward projection of exhaled air, the air will go either up the face mask and over your head or below the mask towards your chin and body. your breaths outward projection will be greatly deminished as it passes through the mask.

here check out this video:

my concern is for the few idiots who think they do not need to wear a mask.

like this lady:

or this guy:

Last edited:
Thank you for this timely, important message, @ocnbrze!

Earlier today I saw a headline [but didn't read the article] saying some 50,000+ deaths could've been prevented if social distancing [or, as we prefer here in California, physical distancing] had started two weeks earlier. That's a very sobering thought.

And now we have states reopening too soon, bowing to pressure from disgruntled citizens. While I understand their being fed up with the restrictions, I wish they understood that the virus has NOT gotten fed up. It's every bit as lethal now as it was a month ago. A little more patience would go a long way.

In lieu of that, we really need everyone to honor the 'wear a face covering' rules. I hope they do.

FWIW here's an extract of the latest rules that I'm subject to.

1. According to the notice of the New Coronavirus Pneumonia Outbreak Working Group in Jinan, students will return to school on May 24 and officially start on the 25th. After the semester begins, the school will resume all classes. Please prepare for the class.

2. You can choose to not wear a mask on campus, but you must wear a mask when you go out of school.
mask.jpg

5. It is still not allowed to take public transportation and taxis for all teachers in our school.

6. Teachers still can not go outside the school to participate in gathering activities such as meeting friends, having a party, etc.

Last edited:
This looks like a job for the police. I didn't saw this kind of idiotic taxes since Covid-19 started.
police?
to be honest....i would be more than happy to pay that tax. those who are open and are putting themselves and their families at risk deserve to get paid for that risk.

but i know that the general public is selfish and i would expect backlash for it. we only like to think about ourselves and not how it will impact others. it is always me me me!!!!!
please see my response above. but i will say it again, I WOULD GLADLY PAY THAT TAX!!!! I would still pay that tax even as the economy opens up (a bit early if you ask me). Those at the restaurants and shops are putting themselves at risk. They deserve every penny and then some.
Trust me: YOU DON'T! :eek:
LOL i l know i don't!!!!!!!!! LOL

what is scary is that priests and pastures are asking to open up churhces. despite the pandemic. there are reports all over the country where a people are infecting each other at church gatherings.....even some of the preists and staff are getting sick. i'm not a religeous person at all, but i would not trust the hand of God vs covid-19.

and yet 1,200 clergy signed a petition to Newsom to open Ca's churches. i think churches can open up during phase 3 of Ca's steps to open up the economy. why can't they just wait? why can't they do mass via the internet?

https://thehill.com/changing-americ...053-over-1200-pastors-sign-petition-demanding

Because the longer people stay away, the more likely they are of losing their flock. Then who will they shear?
yeah but shouldn't they be more worried about keeping them safe and healthy. i'm sure God will forgive them of their sins later when it is safe to come out. if anything they should limit the amount of people inside the church and only those with masks can be let in.

Court upholds Gov Newsom's ban on church services:

"The 9th Circuit Court of Appeals upheld Gov. Gavin Newsom’s ban on in-person church services, in a split ruling that landed Friday night and is likely to further anger pastors who claim that California is trampling on religious freedoms."

:D :D

I think they should pack up and move to some backward state where they'd find like-minded people. Texas comes to mind...

Back
Top Bottom