• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Coronavirus global pandemic

Day 5 in the Big Brother house... (well, officially - I'd been operating pretty close to this lockdown for a week before it was announced anyway).

Is anything happening? Well Boris Johnson has tested positive, which is no surprise at all given the number of Parliamentarians and Westminster advisors who have contracted it. Air quality is improving (e.g. most big cities are showing PM2.5 levels 20-50% lower than earlier in the year) and you can look at the sky without spotting aircraft. And I've spent the morning doing technical work rather than the usual admin crap. Could be worse.

Our numbers are up ... confirmed cases, mortality and my blood pressure. And one more heinous statistic -- hackers and malware. I am currently tracking down an intrusion where someone was trying to hack into our UPS power supply in the data center. They could, if successful, turn the power off to our network. In truth it would be just mischief and a real pain in the butt, but right now this is the kind of thing I would rather not have to deal with. :(

i just want to give a shout out to all those essential needs businesses that are still open to the public.

for those working in the supermarkets......THANK YOU!
for those policemen and women still keeping our streets safe......THANK YOU!
for those health care workers trying to keep us alive......THANK YOU!

thank you guys. you are all risking you lives and family to help provide for us in this time of need. words do not give you guys justice for what you do.

......so THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!

Last week my employer called a meeting to ask about who would prefer to work from home (for those who can). I think there were a lot of folks who were a bit fearful of admitting that they would, but I spoke up and said absolutely. Of course if I needed to come in, I would. So I was permitted to work from home for the duration, but, as I guessed, I had to come in today to help others get setup to work from home. :rolleyes: I think I was born under an ironic star.

Watching Gov Newsom's daily presser right now. He's promoting HealthCorps.CA.gov where medical professionals can sign up to help. Its purpose is to get recently-retired doctors/nurses/other healthcare workers to go back to work, and also medical and nursing students who are near graduation--they'll be given provisional licenses to let them work until this pandemic ends, then they'll finish their requirements for graduation.

My aunt, at Kaiser, is seeing only the occasional patient, those with urgent problems or shots they must have regularly, etc. Her department is usually bustling with hundreds of patients daily, seeing doctors for everything from Pap tests to wound care. Now it's locked down, and only patients who can't wait are allowed in.

On the other hand, for my cousin, at one of UCLA's hospitals, it's business as usual! Non-vital clerical workers are working from home, but doctors, nurses, lab technicians, important administrative personnel are all there daily, with patients--very ill, very fragile patients--coming and going. Her specific department, which I won't name because it's too identifying, has to continue as usual; their patients cannot wait.

My aunt said that she gets a new mask each morning, and that's it for the day. They're spraying them with disinfectant between patients...but she's not thrilled. I reminded her that some medical staff have to use one mask all WEEK...and others have none at all...

I just read something I hadn't heard before, concerning children and coronavirus:

"...These symptoms remain consistent no matter a person’s age. But doctors have observed that children with coronavirus do report a unique symptom: stomach distress.

"They’ll develop gastrointestinal symptoms, especially diarrhea and vomiting, which may not be seen in adults," Whitley-Williams explained."

I just sent that to my daughter, who has two kids, and it was news to her, too.

Here's a sight I cannot recall EVER seeing before as an Angeleno: one of our beautiful beaches, deserted...

20200402_beach.jpg

I'm glad people are finally taking this seriously. All it took was for the US to have over double the active cases as a country with 5x the population that we outwardly mocked only two short months ago.

For Californians: Gov Newsom just announced a new website, OnwardCA.org for those who've lost their jobs.

He also updated the figure for how many healthcare professionals have registered with HealthCorps.CA.gov--it's now more than 70,000. :o It's important to note that these are people who've actually stepped through the process of registering, not just random visitors; they've supplied their credentials, their state license info, etc. I think 70,000+ in three days is awesome.

I cannot stop thinking of my two friends, who work at the grocery store.. :\
One of them know very well, and the other one too, who is a mutual friend of both of us... :\

What precautions are they taking, Milo? Are the stores limiting the number of customers at one time? What about face coverings?
I think they are opened duration of around Six in the morning until eight in the morning too.
Only open in that short ammount of time for Seniors, not so sure of us youngones.

Back
Top Bottom