• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Coronavirus global pandemic

Unprecedentedly the Government have announced that they will pay 80% of the salaries of people who are unable to work due to the coronavirus shutdowns (up to a maximum of £2.5k/month), backdated to the start of March. This is the sort of thing that Denmakrs have done, and which prominent opposition politicians have called for, but it's an absolute first for the UK.

That's really quite a big deal. Not something that is particularly in-character for them, and I think it probably speaks to how serious this is.

Last week on ABC's evening news, when David Muir announced that Disneyland was closing [for only the fourth time in its history], he said something else that was mind-boggling--and a bit confusing.

As he was talking, they first showed video of Disneyland and then the Hollywood Sign. After saying the Disneyland bit, he said, and they showed a matching graphic, with the Hollywood Sign still on-screen, that the 'entertainment industry' makes $700 billion annually. I've wondered ever since then what, exactly, is included in 'the entertainment industry.' :thinking:

They certainly implied--what with the Hollywood Sign on-screen as they reported it--that it was 'Hollywood' stuff--movies, television, music, the things that make LA the entertainment capitol of the world. But what about sports? The NBA, NFL, MLB and other professional sports are certainly entertaining! And big money-makers. And they're all shut down now.

Does dining out count as entertainment? What about amusement parks, national parks like Yosemite or Yellowstone, campgrounds, beaches...?

Anyone have thoughts on what they might have meant?

NJ Governor is likely announce more stringent measures tomorrow. Essential services only, etc.

Last week on ABC's evening news, when David Muir announced that Disneyland was closing [for only the fourth time in its history], he said something else that was mind-boggling--and a bit confusing.

As he was talking, they first showed video of Disneyland and then the Hollywood Sign. After saying the Disneyland bit, he said, and they showed a matching graphic, with the Hollywood Sign still on-screen, that the 'entertainment industry' makes $700 billion annually. I've wondered ever since then what, exactly, is included in 'the entertainment industry.' :thinking:

They certainly implied--what with the Hollywood Sign on-screen as they reported it--that it was 'Hollywood' stuff--movies, television, music, the things that make LA the entertainment capitol of the world. But what about sports? The NBA, NFL, MLB and other professional sports are certainly entertaining! And big money-makers. And they're all shut down now.

Does dining out count as entertainment? What about amusement parks, national parks like Yosemite or Yellowstone, campgrounds, beaches...?

Anyone have thoughts on what they might have meant?

What I consider entertainment varies throughout the year. When it comes to filing my taxes... everything is entertainment :)

On a serious note... That figure seems huge unless it's encompassing sports and its huge trickle down financial impact. I don't know how one can count the coins of TV without including sports and its great following. Sports figures earn huge incomes but that is a small part of the revenue involved. Broadcast rights and viewing expenses added to the advertising industry has to be an incredible number. If sports is included in that quoted number.. it may well be a conservative guess.

I heard (rumor only) that the UK was limiting HD streaming broadcasts to help with the unforeseen pressure the net is seeing. Seems like a wise move is true.
Netflix and YouTube are reducing quality to limit bandwidth usage. It's Europe-wide, I think the request came from the EU.

The biggest broadband provider is removing caps for all of their customers for the time being. I expect others will follow.

My university is closed until at least June. I will be surprised if it isn't longer from the modelling I've seen.

If we can learn that presenteeism in offices (with associated burning of fuel to get to/from) and constant jetting around everywhere are not needed there will be some good come out of this. Of course any change to the status quo will by definition meet resistance from vested interests.

Last edited:
Yesterday, the local news said a man from a 'small city near Pasadena' had died from coronavirus. Arcadia, where I live, is a 'small city near Pasadena'--as in, they share a border. I knew there was one confirmed case of CV in Arcadia...

Later, new details revealed that he was a 34-year-old from Glendora. An Armenian, like me. Only 34. The swift nature of how the virus killed him was astonishing. Literally just days from when he was visiting theme parks in Florida until he died here. Very sad.

From a restaurant near one of my friends, which in response to the forced closure is now offering its first take-away service:

FB_IMG_1584819993528.jpg

From a restaurant near one of my friends, which in response to the forced closure is now offering its first take-away service:

View attachment 148814
'Loo roll'--you Brits and your polite way of speaking. :) I love it--sounds so much nicer than 'toilet paper.'

Anyway, a lot of restaurants here are offering delivery for the first time ever. Some places are including a loo roll if the customer needs it.

I'm really pissed that so many people acted so irresponsibly, panic-buying and stockpiling for themselves--unnecessarily!--leaving others to do without. :angry: They created a situation that didn't have to happen. I believe it was yesterday when Gov Newsom...or was it Mayor Garcetti? :thinking: ...well, one of them mandated no hoarding/stockpiling of supplies. They've both continually reassured us, even SHOWED us, that supplies are plentiful and are being replenished regularly. We'll see how this works out.

Oh! It's very rare for my little city to make the news, but I was just alerted by KABC about a planned outage by SoCal Edison--in Arcadia! It would not have affected my neighborhood, but still--what kind of idiot thinks, gee, this is a GREAT TIME to shut off the power for a whole day?! :rolleyes: The city responded by revoking Edison's permits for the work. So much for that idea!

So this whole pile of crap with the coronavirus. I'm dealing, so far I'm healthy even though I'm one of the few places non medical that is open for business. I'm lucky, I'm not rich, but because of my wife's position and mine, we won't lose our jobs during this.

Anyway, last night, and it's my intention to do a few nights a week, I ordered take out from a family restaurant in the area. These are mom & pop places with thin margins. I got stuff at home I can cook, I don't need to order out, but if I can help keep a family business afloat I will. I'd ask that anyone that can help out the little guys getting hammered do so.

Same here, @Unforgiven . Our neighbor owns a Chinese restaurant , and while they always had a take-out delivery service, that's all they have now. Being an employee of an essential business, i'll be working for the duration. Don't wait for, or expect the government to help. We've got to do whatever we can for those who are struggling.

EDIT: I had the sesame chicken for supper.

yep ordered 3 days in a row food from places i normally dine in. i also have plenty i can cook up. unfortunately my favorite Japanese restaurant is closed and they are not doing take out:saddroid::saddroid::saddroid: i'm doing my part to try and keep everyone afloat.

so for the time being a still have a job and i will continue to do so as long as i can. luckily i got me tax return before all this happened and i now have some money saved up.

i went into my local Total Wine and stocked on some booze. i was told there that today they are having a conference call to decided whether they will be a online order and pickup store or not. if not they may still stay open, as they are considered essential mainly because they sell water. i bought myself a bourbon that was aged in vanilla extract barrels. it sounds delicious. i also bought some cheap cigars as well. i am going to save them for tonight after i figure out what kind take out food i'm feeling for and hopefully they still are open.

Last edited:
Is there room for a little levity here?

A few days ago on Jeopardy!, this was one of its clues:

Jeopardy_corona_S36E134.jpg

My jaw dropped as Alex read it. :o

Keep in mind that the show normally tapes weeks to months in advance. With Trebek's illness...well, I'm really not sure if that altered the filming schedule. I don't think it did. My point, though, is that they couldn't have known when they filmed this that we'd be in the midst of a coronavirus pandemic when it aired.

Oh the irony of it...

I've got my official
RE: Exemption from Shelter-at-Home Orders
I have an Essential Security & Safety Personnel Designation should a shelter at home order be declared in Boston MA. It expires on April 30, 2020.

I have mine as well as Davidson County (Nashville, TN) went under the order at midnight this morning. It would almost be easier for them to list the non-essential businesses though.

Well, it's official: the 2020 Tokyo Olympics have been postponed.

Right now it doesn't look like they have a definite date set for when it will take place. But under the current circumstances, I believe this was the only thing they could responsibly do.

I hope they don't end up being canceled. Some of the athletes who've trained so hard to earn the right to participate in the Olympics, may no longer qualify in four years. For example, if they go pro, and professional athletes aren't allowed in their sport. That would be so sad.

Back
Top Bottom