• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Coronavirus global pandemic

BTW I know a few people with symptoms now, none local and none who I've been in personal contact with recently. I'm quite sure they aren't in the official statistics, so this underlines to me the extent to which official figures underestimate reality.

As do I. Some estimates have the infection rate 10x higher than reported. Many of the mild cases will go unnoticed and unreported ... and they estimate the majority of cases will be mild. We had an office worker sent home because they were ill. No fever, a bit of nasal congestion and nausea. Not exactly a fever and a cough, but management did that to keep everyone else from freaking out. I would be curious what the protocol would be if he tested positive. Anybody who had contact with him in the last 14 days needed to be quarantined like the cruise ship passengers?

Actually my guess is that the UK infection rate is at least 20x the official stats (taking health officials' estimates of real infections last week compared to official statistics at the time). And it's probably getting worse as our testing has become more restricted. As your testing record was much worse than ours all along I'll be very surprised if it isn't an even bigger difference in the States.

Quarantining (or at least self-isolating) anyone who has come in contact with an infected person would be an extremely sensible measure.

Meanwhile my wife is just hosting the first video-only meeting of the local cub scout pack (sounds like they've got a decent turnout) ;). And my research group has set up a chat channel specifically for a "virtual lunchtime" chat each day, as a way of maintaining contact since we have switched entirely to teleworking.

I'd merge this over, but I think it would be confusing, so I closed it.

I think one COVID19 thread is enough. The conversation is over here. :)
https://androidforums.com/threads/how-is-coronavirus-covid-19-affecting-you.1321557/

Just an FYI, time stamps and content seemed to work out enough that I went ahead and merged.

Carry on everyone!

I will say, my local krogers has been on top of restocking as of now. I was able to get eggs for me and my parents yesterday, then went back today for 3lb of ground beef. So far I have been lucky.

I've a couple of months' food for my chickens, and all 4 are currently laying. So eggs are not a problem.

thats how to do it!! ha

Unless there's an outbreak of avian flu :o ... * biting my tongue as we speak *

Stopped at the market in the middle of the day so there would be less people and they seemed to be well stocked with the exception of bread, mayonnaise, chicken (raw) and toilet paper. Assuming everyone gets food poisoning from under-cooked chicken salad, they're all set. :rolleyes:

On a more personal and extreme note, I got a call from my boss this afternoon that our Philadelphia warehouse is overwhelmed and unable to fill standing orders (janitorial supplies, for those who don't know). We have taken our website offline and suspended all new order taking until at least Friday. This is basically turning down about $1 million in business.

The VA has officially gone berzerk over this. I went to the VA hospital today to pick up medications for the Darling Bride. EVERY entrance to was closed. All traffic was diverted around to a secret entrance, in a restricted area, in the back 40 that I didn't even know existed. Stopped in a makeshift drive-in screening spot. Answered STUPID questions, like:

"Have you been around anyone who has tested positive for coronavirus?"

How the hell would we know? It was like pulling hens teeth to force our state govt to disclose the counties the positive cases are in - let alone who they are individually!

I got a wristband. Then followed the road around to park. Got screened AGAIN at the door: like maybe I contracted coronavirus from my vehicle to the building! Yep, that virus was swarming around me like angry hornets - I just kept swatting them away with my flailing arms while running to the building.

SMDH

The good news is I got a really good parking space....

Our movie, our wineries, bars, restraunts are closed down, my side occupation gave me a fortnight off, it's only drive through is only open.
We run to the store yesterday to pick up some supplies, and to vote only.
Nothing out of the blue, of where my writing and art is around the clock too. So yeah, my band company it is safe and sound too. We played a venue at a local bar before the epicdemic did occur not long ago either, so yeah...Everyones safe and sound.

well one good thing from this, is that i ended up buying a spaghetti squash and used that instead of pasta. it was suggested by another customer there. i never had it before, but it ended up amazing....and much healthier then regular pasta. i would have taken a photo, but it was such a huge hut with my friends that they all dug into it before i could grab my phone to take a picture.....thanx corona virus!!!!!!
My mom makes it every once a while, she found an excellent food diagram with mesurments, out of one of those magazines :D

is that a big deal? never heard of it. is it like American Idol?
No, it's not a talent show like that. It's a very long-running international song competition, centred in Europe though these days the countries taking part include Israel and Australia, so not exactly European. It's a festival of high camp, with a mix of pop songs, ballads and the occasional novelty act, usually accompanied by over-the-top staging. It's regarded as a bit of a joke in the UK these days (was not always so) but taken very much more seriously by some countries (Sweden, for example). Its most famous graduates are ABBA, who first came to widespread notice outside their home country through it.

I haven't watched it myself for a long time, though I did tune in the year that Finnish monster rock band Lordi won it (which is possibly why I've not watched it since: after that anything else would have been a disappointment ;)).

Last edited:
We had an employee go home Monday because they were ill. His doctor is pretty sure that it's a sinus infection and not COVID-19. However, he has been told by HR that he may not return to work until he presents negative COVID-19 test results.

Given that testing is still limited here, it may not be easy or quick to get. While it may be a bit extreme, i don't think it's unreasonable.

The Company I work for is considered essential due to producing diapers supplies, medical garment supplies and sanitation wipes. So I will be going to work for the foreseeable future.

Here in SoCal we're seeing daily press conferences from LA Mayor Garcetti, various heads of county health and other agencies, and Governor Newsom.

They're being extremely transparent, stating facts and information that are accurate and helpful. At one point, Garcetti held his presser at one of the local grocery store distribution centers, to show viewers that supplies are plentiful and panic-stockpiling is unnecessary and rude.

Newsom issued a statewide 'safer at home' order effective midnight this morning. Garcetti had done that the day before for the county. As the most populous county in the US, and the most populous state, we're seeing others following suit.

We're very lucky in that we've had huge budget surpluses for years now, thanks to Gov Brown and now Newsom. In addition to funds, we already had in place a pandemic agency, catastrophic disaster plans, tens of millions of masks, and so on.

Today's LA Times has a disheartening article that says:

Officials long warned funding cuts would leave California vulnerable to pandemic. No one listened

"California public health officials have repeatedly warned over the last decade that federal budget cuts were weakening their ability to respond to a widespread health crisis like the current coronavirus pandemic.

Despite the warnings, elected leaders cut millions of dollars in federal grants and other funding to California state and county health agencies, reducing the number of medical workers, including epidemiologists, and jeopardizing the ability to do lab tests and quickly set up mobile hospitals, according to interviews and records reviewed by The Times."

At my work, we're came to an agreement that we are essential workers. We are service technicians that setup and maintain aquariums in businesses and in residential homes. We keep their pets(fish) alive. Without us thousands of dollars could be ruined. Plus people love their pets. So for now unless city or federal government tells us otherwise, this is how we are going to operate. It wil be up to the client to allow us in or not.

Last edited:
Plus people love their pets.
Yes, indeed. I'm glad you're taking care of your clients' fish.

My live-in helper recently returned to the job where we met 14 years ago--as a vet tech for my vet. [She can work full-time now that I'm pretty self-sufficient. She still takes care of my pets and the house and everything, but no longer has to wipe poop off my butt in bed. :o]

My vet said that if he does close the hospital, he'll come to my house if Joy Noelle [or my other cats] should need care. Imagine that, a doctor making house calls! :)

The UK has just announced that all restaurants, pubs, clubs, cafes, and entertainment venues are to close for 14 days (initially).

Unprecedentedly the Government have announced that they will pay 80% of the salaries of people who are unable to work due to the coronavirus shutdowns (up to a maximum of £2.5k/month), backdated to the start of March. This is the sort of thing that Denmark have done, and which prominent opposition politicians have called for, but it's an absolute first for the UK.

And I'm currently listening to a BBC radio topical comedy that is normally recorded in front of a live audience, which is really, really weird because of all of the jokes falling into dead silence (they are not tacky enough to laugh at themselves or use canned laughter).

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom