• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Coronavirus global pandemic

My state, NJ, is under an 8pm curfew. This applies to restaurants and bars and the like, but I'm teaching from home, anyway out of an abundance of caution.

In Montgomery county all schools, public buildings, restaurants, bars and LIQUOR STORES!!!! are closed until at least 3/30. In addition the Governor has ask non-essential retail establishments to voluntarily close for two weeks. This is where I work. My home is in the next county over and we don't have any reported cases yet and everything (but schools) is still open, although as soon as there's a confirmed case, I expect that to change.

UK universities are rapidly moving towards online only for teaching and assessment, and I expect most will be closing campuses completely in the next fortnight (my own was about as busy today as it would be in the middle of a vacation period).

I've brought my plants home from the office today so that I don't have to worry about them dying of dehydration over the next couple of months (because my guess is that I will be working from home for at least that long).

UK universities are rapidly moving towards online only for teaching and assessment, and I expect most will be closing campuses completely in the next fortnight (my own was about as busy today as it would be in the middle of a vacation period).

I've brought my plants home from the office today so that I don't have to worry about them dying of dehydration over the next couple of months (because my guess is that I will be working from home for at least that long).

(I had to look up "fortnite". LOL. We don't use it here. If I used it, people would think I was all 1800's) :)

(I had to look up "fortnite". LOL. We don't use it here. If I used it, people would think I was all 1800's) :)
I'll add that to my "two peoples separated by a common language" collection ;).

My favourite is "pavement": the curious symmetry between American usage (the paved strip that cars drive on) and English usage (a paved area beside the road that people walk on) can produce disconcerting effects whichever way it is misunderstood. Whereas most of them are things that only one side would ever say, and the other simply finds puzzling (or occasionally shocking).

I'll add that to my "two peoples separated by a common language" collection ;).

My favourite is "pavement": the curious symmetry between American usage (the paved strip that cars drive on) and English usage (a paved area beside the road that people walk on) can produce disconcerting effects whichever way it is misunderstood. Whereas most of them are things that only one side would ever say, and the other simply finds puzzling (or occasionally shocking).

Pants seems to have different meanings on each side of the big pond as well :)

I have not confirmed this and do not know if it is state or county level, but limiting gatherings to 250 people has been dropped to 50 where I live in Kansas today. That will pretty much close all restaurants and the like. The larger retail outlets will also be effected.

Today our prime minister recommended that people avoid going to bars, clubs etc. He said that he was not going to order them to close, but would expect them to do so voluntarily. As owners of such establishments have pointed out, if he orders them to close many will be covered by insurance, but if they close voluntarily they won't be.

"Pants" is one that most people know has a different meaning (certainly this side of the Pond, since it comes up quite often in TV shows and movies). If you want to see a Brit's jaw drop use the American colloquialism for a small zipped bag worn around the waist on a strap... ;)

One of the other completely disparate word usages comes from the byproducts of iron and steel smelting, commonly known in the U.S. as "slag". In the UK not so much. :o ;)

"Under the guidance of the Department of Health (DOH), using his authority under the state’s COVID-19 disaster declaration order, Governor Tom Wolf today ordered all restaurants and bars to close their dine-in facilities at 12:01 AM on Monday, March 16 ..."

At least we can still get take-out (or as they say on the other side of the pond "take-away")

I have not confirmed this and do not know if it is state or county level, but limiting gatherings to 250 people has been dropped to 50 where I live in Kansas today. That will pretty much close all restaurants and the like. The larger retail outlets will also be effected.
ditto
Today our prime minister recommended that people avoid going to bars, clubs etc. He said that he was not going to order them to close, but would expect them to do so voluntarily. As owners of such establishments have pointed out, if he orders them to close many will be covered by insurance, but if they close voluntarily they won't be.

"Pants" is one that most people know has a different meaning (certainly this side of the Pond, since it comes up quite often in TV shows and movies). If you want to see a Brit's jaw drop use the American colloquialism for a small zipped bag worn around the waist on a strap... ;)
ours bars were ordered closed
One of the other completely disparate word usages comes from the byproducts of iron and steel smelting, commonly known in the U.S. as "slag". In the UK not so much. :eek: ;)

"Under the guidance of the Department of Health (DOH), using his authority under the state’s COVID-19 disaster declaration order, Governor Tom Wolf today ordered all restaurants and bars to close their dine-in facilities at 12:01 AM on Monday, March 16 ..."

At least we can still get take-out (or as they say on the other side of the pond "take-away")
Yeah, that here too. They did have the foresight to exempt restaurants that weren't licensed for takeout / delivery to allow that. I'm not sure if its a good thing they allowed it or a bad thing they need a license in the first place. :confused:

My favourites for that are ****** and ******. Not offensive in the UK, but very offensive in the US apparently. One is a food item, and other means to slow down or reduce, and is a term used in aviation.

Also it causes a few giggles when I tell my students the American English meaning of “rubber".

Last edited:
so today i had to go to a clients office to clean their tank. it was a bit early to do so, but the office is going to be closed for two weeks and everybody in the office will be telecommunicating via their computer....so everyone there was taking their monitors and desktop to their car. i had to get there asap as the office was closing in a few hours and the employees there were trying to hurry up to get their stuff loaded. it was pretty crazy. i alos had another client suspend services as well......looks like it is going to be ruff for the next few weeks:nailbitingdroid::nailbitingdroid::nailbitingdroid:

A person that I see regularly on my jobs comes by to measure up the house for flooring, tiles, and counter top surfaces. He is also the man that new home owners meet with to pick out those goods. He returned from a ski trip six days ago and now has found out that the lodge is closed with confirmed cases of the virus. He is now in quarantine for a couple of weeks. He works for a major lumberyard and they allowed him to access his offices in the dead of night, with mask and gloves, to retrieve the computing equipment and files to somewhat continue his work from home in the interim. I've not seen the man since his return from the slopes but it sort of shows how easy exposure might be.

I don't know how this will pan out, but it's optimistic news!

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...-Australian-researchers-CURE-coronavirus.html

Our schools and recreation center are closed, theaters and restaurants closed (drive-thru & take-out are options), many churches are livestreaming. I understand the concept: prevent the spread of this thing (which is incredibly contagious) to avoid overwhelming hospitals with people who can't breathe. I have some medical issues that make me particularly vulnerable: so I'm taking extra precaution (like opening doors/pumping gas with my hand in my hoodie pocket), washing hands a LOT and using lots of sanitizer. However: we are doing our part to keep the local economy going by ordering food, tipping VERY generously and helping out where we can.

Oh, BTW - why on earth are people hoarding TOILET PAPER for a respiratory virus??? I guess they want to have the cleanest butts in the morgue?

:p

All I can say is that the Daily Mail is not known for its sober, well-researched or accurate health reporting.

There's a long-standing joke in the UK that the Mail's science coverage is a project to classify all common substances into one of two categories: "causes cancer" and "cures cancer". Often the same substance can be reported to belong in both categories in the same week.

I have full days of work teaching from home. I live an hour + away from my NJ studio. I went to my allergist today for an office visit. The allergist is 5 minutes away from my work. I went into my studio for what will be the last time for quite awhile. I got my mail and left. It was bittersweet. Sweet because I can work from and not commute. I leased a car before I got married and moved an hour away. I would have had to give it back early because of high mileage, but this crisis should extend my ability to keep it closer to the termination date. Bitter because I won't see my in-person students face to face for awhile.

On the sweet side also, I get to play ping pong with my wife on my breaks from work. She got me a ping pong table for my birthday. She's gotten really good. Our volleys can so fast they're hard to watch.

On another note, I went to the supermarket, today. It wasn't too bad. People were still hoarding toilet paper. I think the reason is that people afraid of getting quarantined without it.

Today's 0.02.

I don't write 'em, I just pass 'em on. If it's fake news, that's on them

The Darling Bride & I are doing what we can to help stimulate the local economy, though. Where possible, we try to buy from the local shops and not the big chains. We like to dine at the local establishments AND chains (they employ our neighbors, too) and make a point to double tip. With schools and recreation centers closed, hourly employees (especially servers who earn $2.35/hr plus tips) are strained past the breaking point to get the hours they can while also paying for child care. We help where we can.

People are on edge. Personal interactions are somewhat strained, in some cases. Do I go out? Do I stay in? Is it safe? Should I meet up for whatever? Should I put it off? Thoughts?

I would say that if a person is relatively healthy and there are no outbreaks in their specific sphere of contact, then small gatherings with less touching should be okay. It really puts a damper on the Springtime bacchanalia, though.

Most of the big supermarket and convenience store chains in the UK have announced limits on the number of items of most foodstuffs and household goods any customer can buy in a single go. Hopefully that, plus in some cases restricting the first hour of opening to the elderly and disabled, will be enough to send the message to the hoarders.

Meanwhile one distillery has announced that they are switching from manufacturing gin to making hand sanitiser...

BTW I know a few people with symptoms now, none local and none who I've been in personal contact with recently. I'm quite sure they aren't in the official statistics, so this underlines to me the extent to which official figures underestimate reality.

tp.jpg

Back
Top Bottom