• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Coronavirus global pandemic

I have officially shut down my studio to life lessons at least for the week probably for the month or two. Many of my students are saying they agree with my decision, especially because I’m at higher risk. I will be teaching online and will be losing nothing or very little most likely. Business is seem to be slowing down because people are going to the stores or restaurants. In all my years, I have never seen anything quite like this. The closest thing would have been 9/11.

I hope is that people distancing themselves from others will cause this virus to die out and quickly.

Out of curiosity and boredom I just checked ebay and their toilet paper sellers. Oddly enough there seems to be a lot of auctions for TP today. :) The first and only seller I looked at is selling bulk and his sale is enjoying over 3,000 views per hour.:) Crazy!

Scary...
Very similar to this
Yeah Contagion is a good movie. Just be glad that COVID-19 is nothing like MEV-1, the fictional Hollywood virus.

On a weird note.....why is pasta all gone?
20200314_151550.jpg

I assume that some people are preparing for not being able to leave their houses for a long time, so stocking up on dried and tinned food and TP (unless of course they think that digestive upsets are a symptom of Covid-19...).

I wonder whether the real crazies are stocking up on ammunition in order to protect their stockpiles of toilet paper... ;)

I assume that some people are preparing for not being able to leave their houses for a long time, so stocking up on dried and tinned food and TP (unless of course they think that digestive upsets are a symptom of Covid-19...).

I wonder whether the real crazies are stocking up on ammunition in order to protect their stockpiles of toilet paper... ;)
yep....the section for ramen was also empty. weird though the canned section was still there, but still shopped thru. but if i wanted something canned i could have been able to shop it.

i was just there to do my normal shopping. i was craving pasta for tonight. i eneded up buying a spaghetti squash instead.....at least i'll be eating healthy tonight.

All the supermarkets around my neighbourhood seem to be well stocked on pretty much everything, like toilet paper, kitchen rolls, rice, noodles, meat, fish, veg, fruit, etc. Things like cinemas, museums, etc. are closed, and restaurants are still takeaway only. Many places are not accepted cash payments, and are contactless scan QR-code mobile phone payment only, same with taxis and buses.

Ut-oh. My sister just got 'the email' from DOH, turns out that the person who tested positive is my niece's good friend. So yeah, mandatory quarantine for my niece. Not my nephews or sister, they are free to move about. Ugh. On a brighter note I went to the store last night, no lines no waiting and they even had stuff on the shelves (no tp).

On a weird note.....why is pasta all gone?
20200314_151550.jpg
well one good thing from this, is that i ended up buying a spaghetti squash and used that instead of pasta. it was suggested by another customer there. i never had it before, but it ended up amazing....and much healthier then regular pasta. i would have taken a photo, but it was such a huge hut with my friends that they all dug into it before i could grab my phone to take a picture.....thanx corona virus!!!!!!

There is plenty in the pipeline and / or the warehouse.
Yes and no.

I work for a wholesaler of janitorial and maintenance supplies. Our headquarters is in Montgomery County, PA -- you might have heard it mentioned on the news. When the govt. started taking this seriously, we were depleted of hand sanitizers and disinfectants within 2 days. Our single roll toilet paper is drastically low and leaves the building as soon as the trucks show up to deliver. We normally have about $5 million in stocking inventory in our Philly and Cleveland warehouses, but we are down to about half of that. All our CDL drivers have maxed out their hours and temp drivers are impossible to find. It's beyond insane just trying to keep up. Our phone system has been overloaded at least three times due to the influx of calls. And, yeah, I'm working today, too.

I get people wanting Purell (but washing your hands with regular soap is more effective -- sanitizers are supposed to be only when soap and water aren't available.) and Clorox and Lysol. Every Hospital, school, govt. office, dr.'s office etc. must be disinfected accornind to the CDC's remediation protocols. But the toilet paper thing still baffles me.

We supply TP commercially, not your average market pack of Charmin or Cottonelle. It comes in cases of 96 rolls. One 96 roll case of toilet paper would be enough for one person for the next 5+ years. With quarantine being 14 days ... the math just don't add up. And stocking up on water? This shouldn't affect any sort of public utility. People are just silly.

yep people are silly. so when i went grocery shopping yesterday there was plenty of onions, bananas, and potatoes. i needed some more stuff today and found that they were all gone.....WTF people? do not hoard stuff, do not panic shop. it really is not necessary. you are all being ridiculous!!!!!!!

The psychologists explain that hoarding necessities gives people a sense of preparedness and control in situations when preparation doesn't help and they have little control -- like a pandemic, or as I've been calling it, a "panicdemic".

As far as toilet paper is concerned, the JRT (Jumbo Roll Tissue) that we sell for use in high volume public restrooms like stadiums, airports and schools is it great abundance since these places have been shutting down. If anyone needs me to hook them up with a case, let me know. FWIW, one jumbo roll is equivalent in quantity to 4 regular rolls, but tends to be ... um ... less comfortable, shall we say? :o

The psychologists explain that hoarding necessities gives people a sense of preparedness and control in situations when preparation doesn't help and they have little control -- like a pandemic, or as I've been calling it, a "panicdemic".

As far as toilet paper is concerned, the JRT (Jumbo Roll Tissue) that we sell for use in high volume public restrooms like stadiums, airports and schools is it great abundance since these places have been shutting down. If anyone needs me to hook them up with a case, let me know. FWIW, one jumbo roll is equivalent in quantity to 4 regular rolls, but tends to be ... um ... less comfortable, shall we say? :eek:
you should sell them on ebay. i bet you will make a killing on them.

My wife ran to the store today to do her normal week's shopping. She was able to purchase most everything she was after and scored two packages (limited purchase) of the TP that we normally use. They had received a shipment over night and weren't sold out yet. Perhaps the run on TP is over. We weren't in need but both of my local children were low on stock and had failed to find any while shopping. As a good mother, she bought for them. I hope that they will return the favor when I run out. :)

I went to the store on Thursday to get a few items for dinner that night and such. It was insane. I purchased maybe 15 things. Nothing out of the ordinary. I bought tp and paper towels at Target over a week ago because I received a $15 gift card when buying $50 of household items.

Back
Top Bottom