• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Coronavirus global pandemic

I'm only on the outskirts of the real heavy lifting. Your local boards of health, fire and ems, police, and CERT teams are and will be the real heroes.

I won't get political, but I'll say this. Federal, state, and local governments are mobilized, information is flowing, and precautions are taking place. The 'more should be done' crowd (news) is doing a disservice to get clicks and ratings and unnecessarily raising angst. This is serious, but is being taken seriously by all levels of government.

I know several people who say the government is too intrusive. The same people are now saying the government is not doing enough to combat this virus. WTF?

I know several people who say the government is too intrusive. The same people are now saying the government is not doing enough to combat this virus. WTF?
right now i keep hearing is that testing is the key. what really frustrates me is that we actually could have received testing kits way back in Jan, when the WHO offered to the CDC.....but for some knuckle headed reason, we turned them down.....i just do not get it.

here is the article:
https://www.politico.com/news/2020/03/06/coronavirus-testing-failure-123166

as for me i have been impacted some what with my job. i am a service technician that setup and maintains aquariums for both business and homes. i have pretty affluent clients. one of them has decided to suspend all outside vendors (which includes me) from the property.....at least for now. i also have several nursing homes and i was required to get my temperature checked before entering. i hope this thing starts to flat-line and slows down so that we can have a chance to catch our breath, so that business can get going again, so that sports can be played, so that nobody dies again from this beast. when this will happen? i have no clue:maskeddroid::maskeddroid::maskeddroid:

One of my NJ studio students asked to have her hour lesson over Skype because her mom is high risk. That made me decide to teach the entire day from home over facetime/skype, as some others were already video for the day. Actually, I'm high risk, too, so I'm contemplating teaching from home for the foreseeable future.

One of my NJ studio students asked to have her hour lesson over Skype because her mom is high risk. That made me decide to teach the entire day from home over facetime/skype, as some others were already video for the day. Actually, I'm high risk, too, so I'm contemplating teaching from home for the foreseeable future.
Why not? Most higher learning institutions have or are moving in that direction. I see no reason to risk exposure though it's likely near nil. I'm certain everyone will understand given the current awareness. I'm trying to figure out how I might facetime my next construction project. :)

I just returned from a visit to my local grocer. I needed a few items... nothing pressing. I was shocked to find the store slammed! I once had to fetch a couple of items on the eve of Thanksgiving but that pales to the mass of consumers shopping today. Panic has arrived in my community! The pressure they are putting on the store will create a shortage by nightfall.

Yeah, I did a bit of a shop earlier today and was amused to discover that the stockpilers really had stripped the place of toilet roll. Also ibuprofen (except for the expensive branded stuff), dried pasta (except for a bit of the expensive branded stuff - are we seeing a pattern here?), baked beans, frozen peas and, oddly, multi-packs of chocolate bars.

I think one woman there was joking when she told her friend "they're out of hand santiser so I've bought whisky" - I mean surely you'd use vodka to wash your hands with?

What are people going to do when this thing passes and they really didn't use more toilet paper than normal? I'm thinking the next couple years I'll be paying about 1/2 price for TP and we'll be finding the 3-ply super soft stuff in public restrooms.

I think one woman there was joking when she told her friend "they're out of hand santiser so I've bought whisky" - I mean surely you'd use vodka to wash your hands with?

All spirits are great medicine. Take it internally or rub it on. :) Seriously, the demand on the markets is likely more serious than the virus. People are crazy. It does give a person some insight to just how serious having and protecting one's goods would be if the world is ever faced with a shut down non productive scenario.

Why not? Most higher learning institutions have or are moving in that direction. I'm trying to figure out how I might facetime my next construction project. :)

I'm coming to that conclusion. My students are encouraging me to do so. LOL @ FaceTiming your constuction!

I just returned from a visit to my local grocer. I needed a few items... nothing pressing. I was shocked to find the store slammed! I once had to fetch a couple of items on the eve of Thanksgiving but that pales to the mass of consumers shopping today. Panic has arrived in my community! The pressure they are putting on the store will create a shortage by nightfall.

My wife went to the local ShopRite, which is our major chain. It was mobbed,so she went to the local boutique supermarket. Much better. We are set for awhile.

Yeah, I did a bit of a shop earlier today and was amused to discover that the stockpilers really had stripped the place of toilet roll. Also ibuprofen (except for the expensive branded stuff), dried pasta (except for a bit of the expensive branded stuff - are we seeing a pattern here?), baked beans, frozen peas and, oddly, multi-packs of chocolate bars.

I SMH at the toilet paper. Experts say it gives folks a sense of remaining in control. Toilet Paper? Control? A lot of Anal folks out there? LOL!

so i purchased tickets to a wine tasting event at my local Total Wine store. it was supposed to be from one of my favorite wine makers Titus vineyards. both wine makers, Eric and Phillip Titus was going to be there. i paid like $200 for 2 tickets!!!!!!!!

i just found out today that the event is cancelled due to the CORVID-19 virus.......stupid virus!!!!!!!!!

sucky part is that it could take up to 2 weeks for me to get my refund!!!!!!!!!!!

Tonight it wasn’t just the tp that was out at my nearest grocery store. Shelf after shelf, juice, water, all meats, dairy, lunch meat, paper towels, you name it gone. And no restock in sight per the checkout clerk. Got an email that they are hiring. My grandson has been trying to get on there. I guess if they hire him, he could at least clean up the messes the hordes are leaving behind. Gosh knows there is nothing to restock. I was short on tp and now I am sorry I didn’t figure to get some sooner.

Tonight it wasn’t just the tp that was out at my nearest grocery store. Shelf after shelf, juice, water, all meats, dairy, lunch meat, paper towels, you name it gone. And no restock in sight per the checkout clerk. Got an email that they are hiring. My grandson has been trying to get on there. I guess if they hire him, he could at least clean up the messes the hordes are leaving behind. Gosh knows there is nothing to restock. I was short on tp and now I am sorry I didn’t figure to get some sooner.

Yeah, Crazy!

public-service-announcement.jpg

Folks:

All political or off topic posts will be deleted.

Nothing political here. If you want to comment or politicize about covid-19 go to P&CA to open a topic. Thank you.

Steven

yeah i hear you. my household is so fortunate that a week before this virus thing blew up, we bought all of our paper goods at costco. we were thinking about waiting another week to go to costco, but i had some business to do near costco, so might as well go.....thank God we did. LOL!!!!!

i was at Total Wine to discuss see if my wine tasting event was still on. while i was there, the place was packed!!!!!!!! i guess if this is the end of the world, you might was well be boozed up while it is happening......LOL

About the only thing I have a 'stock' of is bourbon, looks like I'm set then!
yeah i'm pretty much stocked up on bourbon as well. in fact i just poured me some Colonel E.H. Taylor....talk about a smooth drink!!!!!! i'm about to chill and smoke a cigar.

right now i'm trying to tune out the news of this stupid virus. i can only take in so much of it! but it is so hard not to. it is everywhere on tv. i think i just need to hangout in netflix, amazon prime or youtube. or maybe listen to music all day......SOMETHING!!!!!!

I've taken to streaming tunes. Without sports to view I'm completely lost. I'm considering running to the grocery store in a few minutes. I need nothing but I'm curious to see if their doors are still open and if there is anything left on the shelves. I've never witnessed such panic buying in my life. Living in Kansas our disasters and the like are always small time and really don't effect the masses. I would think coastal areas that have experienced shut down disasters have seen this sort of thing before. It's all new to me.

I've taken to streaming tunes. Without sports to view I'm completely lost. I'm considering running to the grocery store in a few minutes. I need nothing but I'm curious to see if their doors are still open and if there is anything left on the shelves. I've never witnessed such panic buying in my life. Living in Kansas our disasters and the like are always small time and really don't effect the masses. I would think coastal areas that have experienced shut down disasters have seen this sort of thing before. It's all new to me.
I just got back from the grocery store for a)my normal shopping and b) the extra supplies I need simply because my son is now home for the next two weeks. It wasn't too busy, I guess the rush was this morning.

I ran into the store manager when we walked in the door (a family friend, his wife used to watch my son) and chatted for a bit. He said the parking lot was full when he got to work an hour before the store opened. By 7:15 he had every register open and the lines to check out were all the way to the back of the store. Pasta, rice, canned goods, paper goods, cleaning supplies were completely wiped out. Fresh fruit and produce, meats (fresh, not deli) went shortly after. He said he's never seen it this bad for any event or storm, and we get some good runs on the stores during nor'easters.

So for my trip, it was sane. Produce and most fruit was restocked, and I was able to get what I needed (cabbage, carrots, and potatoes, duh) and some fresh fruit for my son for the week. The deli was untouched and more vacant than any other normal day, so we got lunchmeat for the boys for the week and for lunch today. Plenty of fresh bread and rolls. I did grab the last two boxes of lasagna noodles (which were the last two pasta items left in the aisle) as that was on my list to get for my mother. Surprisingly, there was plenty of bottled water, individuals, gallons, and large jugs.

As far as things I grabbed that wouldn't have been on my normal list or stocking the fridge for my son for the week, I got a 3lb bag of sugar and some yeast, since if crap really hits the fan I would have enough to make bread at home.

So yeah, this is a level of panic I've never seen before.

I made my grocery run / inspection as I advocated earlier. The store was busy but not particularly for a Saturday. I did walk the isles and purchased a couple of avocados :) My store was much like @Unforgiven's. Most all canned goods and soups were gone. There was zero pasta like products and few dried beans to be had. The fruit and potatoes were gone. Dairy was depleted but not empty. Meat was low, only high dollar cuts were left. Paper goods were non existent. Not just the TP but paper towels, napkins, and the like were sold out. I talked to a buddy that is store staff that told me they more than doubled their best day sales ever. The store took in more revenue yesterday than a normal week. The checker that checked me out said she worked a 10 hour shift yesterday and was scheduled for four hours.

It's all interesting and almost amusing observing the results of the threat so far. What happens in a couple of weeks if there is an order to close all commercial businesses and everyone is to stay in their homes for a couple of weeks? It's not going to be funny for a lot of people. Most consumers shop weekly for goods. Now the goods that they want / need are not on available. They limp by on what they have and then try to survive a total lock down. It will quit being interesting and amusing quickly for some.

I'm likely being an alarmist here. I hope it doesn't get that serious. People have created an unprecedented situation with their purchase pressure on the system. It will take some time for suppliers to meet the demand. And then there will come a time when every retailer is overstocked and idle while consumers try to use up their hoard. We the people have created a crazy supply demand unbalance that will take some time to get back to normal.

I'm likely being an alarmist here. I hope it doesn't get that serious. People have created an unprecedented situation with their purchase pressure on the system. It will take some time for suppliers to meet the demand. And then there will come a time when every retailer is overstocked and idle while consumers try to use up their hoard. We the people have created a crazy supply demand unbalance that will take some time to get back to normal.
I've talked to a lot of people and I think any shortage is a last mile shortage for most things. There isn't a shortage of pasta, toilet paper, paper towels, canned goods. They simple can't keep the shelves and back rooms stocked. There is plenty in the pipeline and / or the warehouse. The only thing I've heard will be a bit longer is hand sanitizer and cleaning products. No one I've talked to, laymen or professional, can figure out the TP craze. But yeah, like you said, what will these folks to after the fact with the excess? I bought some staples, some yeast, and some fillers so I can live off the stuff I have in my freezer should the feces meet the impeller. I'm not planning for it or expecting it, but worst case scenario I have roasted chicken, followed by chicken sandwiches, followed by chicken soup and chicken pot pie.

I've talked to a lot of people and I think any shortage is a last mile shortage for most things. There isn't a shortage of pasta, toilet paper, paper towels, canned goods. They simple can't keep the shelves and back rooms stocked. There is plenty in the pipeline and / or the warehouse.

I agree. There isn't a lack of anything. It has simply been purchased at a far quicker rate than predicted. It would take some serious purchasing by the consumer to empty out the warehouses and put pressure on producers. I don't see that happening over a virus.
The situation has just stretched the last couple of links of a very long and established chain. I would hate to be in the industry and try to calculate the stock needed to recover and yet not over stock.

My wife was the head bean counter for the local grocer I went to today. Interesting facts on how they keep up on supply / demand. Not only are items sold monitored for inventory but sales per day are tracked as well. Yesterday's sales will skew their numbers and projections this time next year. If not edited, their sales and stock will be prepared and expected to be the same this time next year. :) Talk about a mess. I'm sure they will figure it all out.

While I was out and running around, I went by MY store and bought some libations. So far they haven't seen the pressure the grocery markets have experienced. I stocked up. I might not have the paper goods long term but I'll be in a good mood. :)

Back
Top Bottom