• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root CyanogenMod 6.0.0-RC1

using chevy's ulv 1000mhz kernel i get great battery life. i charge it every night but i could easily get 36 hours out of it.

I was afraid to try a ulv because of some folks reporting stability issues. In any case, the jdlfg kernel is doing much much better than Chevy's lv did, which is a relief...possibly still not as good as Kangerade with a P3 kernel but I'm still testing. It was so bad I thought my battery was fried.

Upvote 0
I downloaded this rom from the direct link that posted here, and after I wiped the data/factory reset, wiped the cache, and installed the rom from the sd card, I clicked reboot.

But then it just freezes on the Motorola M. It's been like this for over 10 mins, and I didn't want to rush it because I heard the first boot can take a while, but how long does it take?

I was coming from 2.1 root. Should I just reboot, or should I wipe/install again?

Upvote 0
If you are coming from 2.1, then it's probably because boot needs to be wiped as well...or at least that was my problem. Go into recovery and make sure you wipe boot, system, data, and cache...at least twice for good measure. Then install your new ROM. It should boot within a couple of minutes, longer than normal but not that much longer.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the reply.

I went back into Clockwork Recovery and did this:

- partition
- wipe boot
- wipe system
- wipe data
- wipe cache
- wipe boot
- wipe system
- wipe data
- wipe cache
- install zip from sd card
- chose cyanogen
- it installed, and looked like it finished ok
- reboot system now

and then it hangs again on the motorola M. It's been about 5 mins so far. Any idea what might fix this?

Upvote 0
Thanks for the reply.

I went back into Clockwork Recovery and did this:

- partition
- wipe boot
- wipe system
- wipe data
- wipe cache
- wipe boot
- wipe system
- wipe data
- wipe cache
- install zip from sd card
- chose cyanogen
- it installed, and looked like it finished ok
- reboot system now

and then it hangs again on the motorola M. It's been about 5 mins so far. Any idea what might fix this?

maybe try mounting the sd to you PC while in recovery. copy a new rom file over or a different kernel and flash that.

Upvote 0
Ok I tried Kangerade 5, and no luck. Same thing, it just hang on the M.

People say I havent bricked it because I can still get to clockwork, but could there be something wrong with phone or sd card? I followed all the steps over and over and it never seems to work. The install rom part seems like it works ok, I get all the messages from the rom author and everything, but then it never boots up.

One thing I noticed is that under nandroid->backup, I still have my rom backups fro yesterday. I've wiped everything I can find, how are those still there? are they on the sd card? I'd like to completely restore the phone back to original condition and try this all over again. Whats the best way to get it back to absolute exact condition as when I got it?

Upvote 0
have you tried holding x and power, wiping all data including system files and sd card ? i had to do this once because i was having the same problem.then i connected my phone back to my pc,enabled usb mount and put bbv.04 back onto my sd card then rebooted. it was a pain in the a@@! but it worked.

Upvote 0
ok, well I tried that. Formatted the boot, system, data, cache AND sdcard. copied over Kangerade from the pc, and still it just hangs on the M.

Is there any difference between the wipe data/factory reset, and wipe cache on the clockwork main menu, and the wipe boot/system/data/cache/sd card on the nandroid sub menu?

Sorry for more dumb questions, but I don't really understand this whole process. If I can use RSD Lite and flash a recovery program on that will let me put in a rooted updated of 2.1, why can't I just flash in clockworkmod recovery? Why do i need to be root to install clockwork, and to use clockwork to install a mod, but not install the first recovery program?

Upvote 0
ok, well I tried that. Formatted the boot, system, data, cache AND sdcard. copied over Kangerade from the pc, and still it just hangs on the M.

Is there any difference between the wipe data/factory reset, and wipe cache on the clockwork main menu, and the wipe boot/system/data/cache/sd card on the nandroid sub menu?

i dont think so... but some people suggest to wipe multiple times and nandroid allows you to do so. have you ever had a different 2.2 rom work for you? perhaps your phone doesnt get along with the kernal in kangerade. just for grins try bbv0.4. its what i used when i had your problem and got my phone back going.

p.s. how ling are you waiting before deciding this didnt work? it can take several minutes to boot up from the "m" symbol

Reactions: ElectricHippo
Upvote 0
One thing I noticed is that under nandroid->backup, I still have my rom backups fro yesterday. I've wiped everything I can find, how are those still there? are they on the sd card? I'd like to completely restore the phone back to original condition and try this all over again. What's the best way to get it back to absolute exact condition as when I got it?
The nandroid backups are on the SD card, yes. (They are almost a gig in size, so that's where they should be :) ). If you still have access to a backup, have you tried restoring?

You can get it back to "original" condition...but I think you know how to do this? Using RSD lite? Yes you can use RSD light to flash a regular ROM too, but it's way clunkier that just using what is on your phone.

Check that battery!

Upvote 0
KI've had nothing but problems trying to go from cm 5.0.8 to cm6. Did the wipe system/data/cache/boot twice even, tried flashing alt rec and back to cw rec. Tried not loading gapps/tried with em. The problem I'm having is it will slow down and hang three or four mins after I go to cm6, the screen will freeze and then go black and be unresponsive and I'll have to do a batt pull. I'm still using 5.0.8. I've also tried it w/o wiping and will have no contacts, can't log into Google and the market hangs.
Here is the link to the full discussion at Cyanogens site for trying to get this resolved. Maybe someone here knows a fix for this?
Cannot get 5.0.8 to 6 working - CyanogenMod Forum

Upvote 0
Ok, well I thought I'd gotten it back to square 1, but maybe not. It bootlooped for a while, and finally came up as 2.1 update 1, no root. I reinstalled some apps, and I was going to wait a few days before trying this again, but then i powered it off, and it wont come back up. just bootloops over and over with the flashing M.

I did write my info before i shut it down:

Firmware: 2.1-update 1
Baseband: C_01.3E.03P
Kernel v: 2.6.29-omap1-g7fa8788 android-build@apa26 #1
Build Number: ESE81

Is that stock? I'd like to get it back to exact state I bought it in so i can exchange it without them knowing I rooted it. I think maybe the SD card or something else has been damaged because none of these steps have worked for me. I paid for the good warranty plan, which i know rooting is supposed to void, but since I didn't brick it, I think I need to get a new one and eliminate some variables here.

so, do i have stock setup and a bootlooping problem? or do i need to flash a different recovery/firmware to get back to the original state?

UPDATE: ok it did evetually come back up. it just takes forever with that bootlooping(like > 10 mins). I'd still like the wipe the slate clean if anyone has a good method for doing that

Update #2: Ok, a friend who has a droid unmodded let me look at her numbers, and those ARE stock. So anyone aiming to take it in for service/exchange, I guess those numbers above are what you want to have. Does anyone know of any other signs that it's been rooted? Would they boot into recovery and be able to tell that it's different? It'd be a waste to throw this thing in the microwave just to get them to replace it, but I paid for insurance, and I don't want to wait 15 mins every time the phone reboots. :(

Upvote 0
KI've had nothing but problems trying to go from cm 5.0.8 to cm6. Did the wipe system/data/cache/boot twice even, tried flashing alt rec and back to cw rec. Tried not loading gapps/tried with em. The problem I'm having is it will slow down and hang three or four mins after I go to cm6, the screen will freeze and then go black and be unresponsive and I'll have to do a batt pull. I'm still using 5.0.8. I've also tried it w/o wiping and will have no contacts, can't log into Google and the market hangs.
Here is the link to the full discussion at Cyanogens site for trying to get this resolved. Maybe someone here knows a fix for this?
Cannot get 5.0.8 to 6 working - CyanogenMod Forum

I've replied to your thread on CM forums...

This sounds like issues I've experienced w/2.2 on my Droid, and if so, is unlikely to be a ROM issue that trying other 2.2 ROMs will fix. See my reply on your thread...good luck.

Upvote 0
Does someone have an direct-link to the RC1, maybe RC2?

I have a phone here with SPRecovery and it doesn't have a ROM manager...I don't think. I'm more comfortable with flashing from the SD anyway.

Someone got a link?

http://thekilpatrickproject.com/downloads/koush/motorola/sholes/update-cm-6.0.0-Droid-RC2-signed.zip

http://thekilpatrickproject.com/downloads/koush/motorola/sholes/update-cm-6.0.0-Droid-RC1-signed.zip

just make sure you flash gapps as well

http://mirror.kanged.net/gapps/gapps-hdpi-FRF91-2-signed.zip

Im not sure if any of these will work with SPRecovery. Worth a shot though

Reactions: smacky
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones