• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [DEV][WIP] CM9-Esteem LG MS910

Status
Not open for further replies.
atm we're working on patching, rewriting, adding, merging, or finding the files needed to get stuff working. ;)

Hey, I was going to try and learn how to compile the source code for this rom and was wondering if you could give me a hand. I know a little bit about python and other linux code but I have never tried to start from scratch.
I guess my question is if I can just go to your github(with your permission :D ) and just start messing around with the kernel?

Upvote 0
Hey, I was going to try and learn how to compile the source code for this rom and was wondering if you could give me a hand. I know a little bit about python and other linux code but I have never tried to start from scratch.
I guess my question is if I can just go to your github(with your permission :D ) and just start messing around with the kernel?
my kernel repo for the esteem is set to go and even has scripts to build the kernel and modules and even install the compiled modules to a specified dir. Just need to edit the paths and name of your defconfig if you use a different one or rename mine. ;)

Upvote 0
Hey PG, I'm not very knowledgeable on android development but quite goof with JAVA. I'd love to help in any way possible. PM me if you're interested.
Interesting you offer that. Know how to develop apps? I have to learn for a business adventure. ;)

Other than that, atm anyhow, I dont know of any of the java stuff that needs editing, but thats subject to change lol.

Will def keep u in mind n hollar if sumtin comes up.

Upvote 0
Interesting you offer that. Know how to develop apps? I have to learn for a business adventure. ;)

Other than that, atm anyhow, I dont know of any of the java stuff that needs editing, but thats subject to change lol.

Will def keep u in mind n hollar if sumtin comes up.

Writing Java for apps is hell! The XML and strings is a piece of cake tho. :D

Upvote 0
awesome this makes me more confident about getting an Esteem because you see LG is releasing the Connect 4g, a 4" screen dual 1.2ghz, front and rear camera (no hdmi but ehh) and well although it has gingerbread on it there is pretty strong rumor that ICS will follow from LG so I was like hmm do I still go with the Esteem which has some decent dev going on or do I go with the Connect when it comes out as it had a better chance of getting ICS but since your working on CM9 I feel better about going with the Esteem :)

Upvote 0
OK, this is an extremely important question for me, maybe for many others too ;). BUT wit the implementation of CM9 to the LG Esteem, are we going to be able to use ICS integrated features such as OPENGL or hardware video acceleration for the Esteem. If so does the esteem really supports it properly and efficiently? because that is one thing i LOVE about ICS, to be able to bring the smoothness to our phone's UI and browsing experience.

i might know the answer, but i want to be SURE and be satisfy with it. so does anyone know about this?

Reactions: intrdrgn
Upvote 0
OK, this is an extremely important question for me, maybe for many others too ;). BUT wit the implementation of CM9 to the LG Esteem, are we going to be able to use ICS integrated features such as OPENGL or hardware video acceleration for the Esteem. If so does the esteem really supports it properly and efficiently? because that is one thing i LOVE about ICS, to be able to bring the smoothness to our phone's UI and browsing experience.

i might know the answer, but i want to be SURE and be satisfy with it. so does anyone know about this?
We are def working on trying to make it all work. OpenGL shouldnt be all that hard as it works in GB. The hw accel on both ends, cpu n gpu will prolly be a challenge tho, but its been done on similar phones, so it should just be a matter of finding, patching, or writing the correct files for it.

Upvote 0
We are def working on trying to make it all work. OpenGL shouldnt be all that hard as it works in GB. The hw accel on both ends, cpu n gpu will prolly be a challenge tho, but its been done on similar phones, so it should just be a matter of finding, patching, or writing the correct files for it.

THANKS. just want to make SURE if at least this was possible which your right it should be :). well anyways

thankssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss yyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyoooooooooooooooooooooooooouuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

*expect the donate* :cool:

how else besides donating could i give you appreciation??

Upvote 0
I found a decent looking guide for porting roms. Might be something useful in there.

Also some goodies here for building a rom from scratch.

I'm gonna give all this stuff a try this weekend, starting with a brand new kernel using the linux 3.2 kernel source rather than the oldish 2.6.x kernels always found in roms (if it's possible :) ), the reason is because they've made HUGE power savings improvements etc... so it's worth a shot. I just built myself one for linux mint 12 optimized for a core i7 so it's fresh in the mind. After that i'm gonna see if i can build the ASOP ICS source from scratch too. I compile crap all day long so hopefully i'll figure it this one out.

Upvote 0
I found a decent looking guide for porting roms. Might be something useful in there.

Also some goodies here for building a rom from scratch.

I'm gonna give all this stuff a try this weekend, starting with a brand new kernel using the linux 3.2 kernel source rather than the oldish 2.6.x kernels always found in roms (if it's possible :) ), the reason is because they've made HUGE power savings improvements etc... so it's worth a shot. I just built myself one for linux mint 12 optimized for a core i7 so it's fresh in the mind. After that i'm gonna see if i can build the ASOP ICS source from scratch too. I compile crap all day long so hopefully i'll figure it this one out.

that's nice. so that means that any AOSP rom could be ported to LG esteem. so it seems.

Reactions: sk8rgeek
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones