• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Do you still feel that your Droid X is a top of the line phone?

I dont much care if there are phones coming out tomorrow morning that are "better" than the DX. It is my phone for the next 18 months unless something happens to it. It does far more than I ask a phone to do anyway. The phone you carry is not the measure of the man/woman. For the better part, when you see someone staring at their phone with that oblivious dazed look on their face they have some small little thing that does the basics and knowing I have billy badass by my side is good enough for me.

Upvote 0
C'mon all you moto guys, your own brand manufacturer dated everyones device the second they drop the Atrix. I still like the X everyone I know got one, but all our devices are dead meat, we just got to love them anyway.

This might be correct, except the Atrix is chained to AT&T. That fact alone makes it a second tier device.

Reactions: deftdrummer
Upvote 0
I really dont see it happening this year. I would imagine next year there will be a phone that blows this out of the water but everything ive heard about this year, not a chance. Just to compare it to the newest 4g phone, the thunderbolt, I wouldnt trade mine for that. Front facing camera (a waste for me) and more ROM are the only differences, not very note worthy.

I agree that this year is getting off to a slow start hardware wise. The attention really seems to be on tablet OS's right now and it should be.

On the other hand, I would definitely hesitate if I were you to predict a whole year's worth of tech when we are not even through the first fiscal quarter. I feel your sentiments, I have the DX too and by no means do I feel it is out dated.

I feel that the current and immediate offerings including the 4G phones is a bit overblown. As others have said, you pay for 4G even when you can't get the service. Unfortunately the upcoming offerings are failing to evolve, hardware wise...just like the PC in the late 90s.

I have a few requirements that I've made up in my mind that would make me leave the DX.

• Gotta be 4G
  • Must have a front facing camera (not VGA) preferabally HD
  • Higher screen resolution
  • Faster processor.
If all these aren't met in a phone then I'm not switching because there is just too much to like about the DX. It is robust, made of quality materials, sexy "non-iphone looks" etc.

For a moment there I thought we were through with the iPhone wannabe-look alikes but lo and Samsung had to resurrect the ugly cutsey curves and icons, and HTC has done this since day one with Android. Hell, even the Bionic share these lines! :rolleyes:

The DX is still one of the only phones with SIMPLE and MINIMAL physical buttons that all work as they should. Not to mention it has a mechanical shutter on board as well as a physical shutter button, which even the Bionic lost sadly.

Not enough is said about the DX's mechanical shutter but I feel it is the one component that makes the DX's 8MP camera stand out from the crowd. That and the dual LED flash.

Ok I'm done. I love my phone what can I say.

No wait, I'm not done. The DX also has industry leading battery life and is still one of the thinnest phones around! Like I said, just too many good things going for this phone.

Upvote 0
This might be correct, except the Atrix is chained to AT&T. That fact alone makes it a second tier device.

Hey Verizon may have a bigger 3g network I wont argue that although I do believe that its blown out of proportion, but AT&T can feed the Atrix demon speed that verizon can't. One more thing to consider is that AT&T isn't going to be pushing the iphone as their premier device anymore so they will be getting top shelf android phones, they are proving that already.......uhhhhh what's Verizon doing?

Upvote 0
From a hardware standpoint I'm fine with the phone. It does everything I want. I'm still fed up with the software. Say what you want, but the software on Android doesn't run as smoothly as it does on iOS. We still don't have a true universal inbox. The Facebook app STILL sucks. Sure it's great to have the widgets and stuff, but I just want software that works as advertised! I'm sick of Blur being on the phone and HAVING to use LPP or the like to get a smoother running phone.

But for anyone to say that this phone will be the Flagship for any length of time beyond two weeks (or whenever the Thunderbolt comes out) is crazy. And when the Bionic comes out, it will make this thing look ancient. Don't get me wrong, I love my phone, but the way things are evolving with phones, to get more than 3-4 months out of it being the top dog, it asking a lot.

Upvote 0
I've been on Verizon for close to 10 years and took advantage of the 20 month upgrade about 5 times...

When I would upgrade to my new phone, I would typically pay a little extra to get a "sleeker, neater" phone than the free ones that Verizon would offer, and these phones were always pretty good phones and were "upper-end" for the first few months I would have it. But by time my upgrade date would hit, the phone would be outdated and look like "old technology".

I've had the DX for well over 7 months now and is still one of the "coolest" phones out there. I've never had a phone that I wouldn't want to get rid of after 20 months to get a new phone, but this Droid X has already stayed on top longer than most other phones.... I'm hoping for a Droid X2 (or 3) to be available when I'm eligible for my next upgrade!

Upvote 0
The thing that baffles me is that nobody eldest else has yet to even match the DX's internal storage. I've seen a few of the upcoming devices tout 4 gigs, and we have twice that. Honestly, 4 gigs is probably more than enough. I have compiled over 200 apps and still have over 6 gigs remaining. But memory these days is sooooo CHEAP that the question is.... why wouldn't you load it with 8 gigs if for no other reason, so that the DX doesn't beat it on paper?

Seems like a no brainer to me.

Upvote 0
The thing that baffles me is that nobody eldest else has yet to even match the DX's internal storage. I've seen a few of the upcoming devices tout 4 gigs, and we have twice that. Honestly, 4 gigs is probably more than enough. I have compiled over 200 apps and still have over 6 gigs remaining. But memory these days is sooooo CHEAP that the question is.... why wouldn't you load it with 8 gigs if for no other reason, so that the DX doesn't beat it on paper?

Plus if they make one with 8 gb that your also able to use as media storage that would be a plus over the X

Upvote 0
Actually The ThunderBolt has 8gb Internal Storage and the Bionic has 16gb as well as the Atrix AND the LG Revolution...

The DX is going to be blown away quite a bit here in the up coming months...

Personally I am probably going to really be tempted with that Bionic... But then again reviews form reputable sources say the ThunderBolt is going to be just as good.

Upvote 0

All galaxy devices come with 16 gigs onboard.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones