• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Do you still feel that your Droid X is a top of the line phone?

Of course it is....right now its still Verizons flagship phone,IMO.Whats coming tomorrow will always be bigger,better,and faster,right now that stuff isnt here.For now I feel the DX is it.....and in many cases the 4G phones coming will not have 4G service in many areas, the data cost is going to be higher,with the likleyhood of caps on data useage or tiered plans....why pay more for 4G phone,and 4g data when 4g isnt in my area....and i have high speed wifi at work,and home,the 4G is worth very little to me...as 3G is plenty for the pandora and web surfing i do from my phone.I have no desire for 4G ifi t costs more.

Upvote 0
Not only do I think it still is now, I don't think that will change at all in 2011.

Will there be other devices as good, maybe a bit better? Oh yes. But none will make the DX look or feel like a dinasour any time soon. The new phones are incremently better than the old, nothing revolutionary has dropped.... yet (although the 3D LG certainly may change that if it's as good as the hype it's creating already is making it out to be).

The bottom line is that for the most part, any 4g device bought this year will not live up to its potential because there isn't a 4g signal to connect to yet throughout the US. Once that signal spreads across the country, filling in all the little dips and cracks until everyone can take advantage of it, then these devices will start to shine. But what are they in the meantime?

In the meantime they're like solar panels on a cloudy day. If the weather forcast for 2011 said 'mostly cloudy' with a chance of sunshine around spring of 2012, would you rush out and put up solar pannels on your roof right now? Or wait it out until they were finally useful for something?

One day those phones will be a 'must have' item. But for now the DX sits right at the top of the heap right along with the others IMO.

Upvote 0
For now, yes. It will definitely start losing its place come Q2 and Q3, Q4... no question.

Really? You feel it's definately falling down hill after this quarter eh?

That's odd because from the figures that are available I don't see anything coming (yet) that comes clocked faster than the DX out of the box. I don't see anything with a bigger screen. I don't see anything with a higher camera resolution, or anything that shoots better quality video than 720p (although the LG 3D Optimus has a trickier camera forsure). I don't see anything with greater talk time. And last but certainly not least, I don't see anything with more internal storage than the DX.

One device may have more RAM, another may have a dual core processor, and yet another may have a higher resolution screen. But it seems like so far everything that's projected to hit is just finally good enough to compete with the DX where as last year there wasn't anything that could stand toe to toe with it.

This year the competition could certainly go 12 rounds with it, and maybe even win by points in a split decision. But I don't see a contender yet that can knock the DX out in the 3rd round.

But hey, that's just where you and I differ, that's all. I'm not discounting your opinion what so ever.

Upvote 0
I really dont see it happening this year. I would imagine next year there will be a phone that blows this out of the water but everything ive heard about this year, not a chance. Just to compare it to the newest 4g phone, the thunderbolt, I wouldnt trade mine for that. Front facing camera (a waste for me) and more ROM are the only differences, not very note worthy.

Upvote 0
Certainly there will be another "Flagship" phone coming out this year.... 4g....dual core..... etc, etc, etc.

But even then the DroidX won't be a slouch. I honestly think I'll make it at least 12 months, perhaps even the full 24 months before needing to upgrade. The only thing that might make me do it sooner rather than later is 4g. My area is suppose to be one of the initial markets to get it. But that is different than being upset with my phone. What the DroidX does it does really well and I don't see that changing this year (ie it won't feel out of date this year).

Upvote 0
I think so, but you look at trade in value for it on verizons trade in program and as far as current high end phones go, it one of the lowest values,..if not THE lowest. It's even $20 less than the iPhone 3GS 16gb! And almost $60 less than the older htc incredible. Why?!?

it's trade in value is less b/c they sold a shitload of DX's, never sold the iphone 3gs (that's a marketing ploy), and the incredible was backordered for so long that most of those people picked up an X.

trade in value is the same for phones as cars, the more that are out there, the lower the trade in value. Has nothing to do with the level of the phone

as for a new flagship or a phone that replaces the X, i don't think that will really happen before LTE blankets the country, battery life improves or is at least the same as the X on dual core phones, and Android is written to take advantage of dual cores.

i just don't see anything coming out with a single core that can be better than the X. it's not going to be faster, and if it is it will destroy any battery out there. and it's not going to be as easy to carry around. if you add any bulk to the screen size of the X, i don't think you will see people using it. the thinness of the X is great, but any thicker and i'd have trouble with it in my pocket i think. all around usability of the X is the best of what's out there, and what's been announced, at least for Verizon. I think this is going to be more of the year for tablets with honeycomb launching on the Xoom in a month.

Upvote 0
Still don't see what the big deal is with 4g and dual core that has everyone freakin out? o_O

For the most part 4g really only benefits those who use the internet to steam movies, tv programing, music, all that jazz. Those guys will see a massive improvement in usability as compared to 3g devices. So massive, they will be unprepared for it!

If all you do is text, make calls and perhaps screw around on Facebook a little bit, then you should cling to your 3g device/plan for as long as you possibly can. Because 4g isn't going to change your life all that much, but it will change your monthly bill.

Upvote 0
I give the DX 6 months before it falls into a second tier phone. 4g will be in a lot of metro areas, dual core, and NFC will be high demand features. None of them individually are all that great, but combined they are attractive enough to move the DX down from top tier status. I think NFC is the next revolutionary step forward for mainstream cell phones and is the one I am really looking for to.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones