• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Do you still use Facebook? Why?!

Sorry, my name causes confusion.

When I first went online, I visited alt.saxophone on the Usenet/newsgroups.

There was already a Bob Norton on the group, so I tried Bobby and Robert, but no-dice, all were taken.

My sister's business partner called me "Notes" because I play music for a living. (I guess that was a CPA's sense of humor.) So I chose it for my Internet name.

In the early 1990s I started selling aftermarket products for the auto-accompaniment software app called Band-in-a-Box. There are musicians in over 100 different countries that now use my music and call it their own. If I changed my Internet name back to "Bob" I'd probably lose a lot of customers, so Notes Norton it is.

It has alliteration anyway.

And yes, I think anybody in the law making or law enforcing jobs should not be exempt from the laws they make or enforce. In fact, I think if caught breaking any law, it should be mandatory that they get the maximum sentence recommended for that law.

But as we know, that'll never happen. "Do as I say, not as I do" is still the way rulers rule and probably always will be.

Notes ♫

Sorry, my name causes confusion.

When I first went online, I visited alt.saxophone on the Usenet/newsgroups.

There was already a Bob Norton on the group, so I tried Bobby and Robert, but no-dice, all were taken.

My sister's business partner called me "Notes" because I play music for a living. (I guess that was a CPA's sense of humor.) So I chose it for my Internet name.

In the early 1990s I started selling aftermarket products for the auto-accompaniment software app called Band-in-a-Box. There are musicians in over 100 different countries that now use my music and call it their own. If I changed my Internet name back to "Bob" I'd probably lose a lot of customers, so Notes Norton it is.

It has alliteration anyway.

And yes, I think anybody in the law making or law enforcing jobs should not be exempt from the laws they make or enforce. In fact, I think if caught breaking any law, it should be mandatory that they get the maximum sentence recommended for that law.

But as we know, that'll never happen. "Do as I say, not as I do" is still the way rulers rule and probably always will be.

Notes ♫
Oh man, I keep forgetting sometimes, although the only other person I know of that name is one of my friend's middle name was Note, the last time I talked with him, he was installing the t.v. and just talked with him duration of fb a while ago, I always coined "keep your troubles inside the wifi away from offline." Besides it is not like anyone is going to find my different name hahaaa :P But I have soooooooo many mugs online of my face :P

So after a heafty inbox bloody message and filling out so many forums, I stumbled upon so much against FB with uploading their id, even though irony it started out as a low base social media, like anyone can post anything and feel free up until like back I did read it said in "last fall some changes are going to be made." So yeah that stirred up conversations and still pushed the pedal down and change things around. If you are having troubles, keep in mind you can created another profile and have another one just back up like I did, and go underneath your
pseudonym
like me without many stalkers stalking you to eventually keep in mind too. - Golden rule of online!

I don't see anything bad about facebook to be honest. I can't say i am using it all the time but we write messages here and there with some old friends.

Facebook has been hauled before Congress numerous times for its blatant censorship, banning users for violating arbitrary "community standards" that are never defined and change constantly, and been fined billions for its careless disregard for user data (and willingness to sell it to anyone who will pay for it).

My security settings have FB locked down to a minimum: and my presence there is almost exclusively for business and civics work. I'm far more active at Gab, which is 100% user-funded; owns its own servers; and has one community standard: the Constitutional First Amendment. If it's legal to say, it's legal to post.

Gab is amazing!
Also, Telegram is also amazing!

In this day of generally not being allowed to express what our controller consider 'bad think', we need Gab and Telegram more than ever!

Is Telegram actually still online? My dad and I was using it for the last year or so, but for the last few weeks I'm seeing "CANNOT CONNECT TO SERVER" with the Telegram app. I am using a VPN, so it should should connect here. So we gone back to using WhatsApp.

Which is owned by Facebook

:)

Yup, but it seems to work reliably though. The alternative is for my dad and I to use WeChat, which the Chinese govt has full access to. Has anyone used Skype these days?

Ultimately I'm looking for a completely private messaging, that's usable anywhere.

EDIT:

I just tried Telegram again with my other VPN(Express), and it does work now. :)

Last edited:
I only used Skype a few times, once for an inbox for my sister's birthday and the other one is for my Aunt's calling on a random day.
I really do not trust Micros05t!

So looked down on my mobile app today, it gave me a special url to check into it, so after typing up 500 characters on the address bar, within a moment, it surprised me when they wanted a secret code, so by that moment on, I was able to login and see what was the buzz about, still the tagger whom anonymously did not realized I was having troubles to fb, left the photos and took the tag out. So I will probably log in with my tablet or mobile soon.

From October to what end of January, hey kids, thank you internet for helping me out!!! :)

Facebook's parent company Meta lost 20+% of its stock value... and Zuck personally lost BILLIONS. Hopefully it's the start of a mass exodus and not just a temporary dip...

Not really since the majority is escaping from that on wich said,of getting back to that parasite,it is either a given talent to those who really are just mind taking it seriously or leaving it and attaching themselves with other corners of the world.

Now that extra profile I did not wanted to keep...
Well ever since been posting a ton inside Dumpster fire group, I keep getting friends request but why?

Nope. I don't even use ANY Social media since Google+ EOL'd (and I logged off that in 2016 when I moved). I can't even login to Facebook since they enforced some crazy 2FA onto it. So my account is blocked forever. No real loss. It's one less app to have on my Galaxy SII (yes I still use it in 2022)

I'm not going to be one of those zombies who's face is buried into their phone all the time. I think there was a SeaQuest DSV episode about tech addiction, but it involved VR gaming. Still telling, and maybe me watching a lot of classic sci-fi gave me insight to over-reliance on media, AI, VR, etc.

Does Skype even still work? I thought it got replaced with Teams or something as of this year? I only know Skype for a lot of podcasts/vlogs I followed (being vegan I followed Gary Francione a lot, and he relied on Skype circa ~2015 at the latest) and the video quality was always atrocious, as was the framerate. It was like watching Facetime in ~2010

Forums have started gaining social media style features especially those reliant on Xenforo-based software. There's a friend system and various other features available so that's why you're getting those requests. I just ignore anything like that. There's no real advantage to friends on a forum since no one has their own home page where content would be hidden behind friendship status the way FaceCrud does.

Nope. I don't even use ANY Social media since Google+ EOL'd (and I logged off that in 2016 when I moved). I can't even login to Facebook since they enforced some crazy 2FA onto it. So my account is blocked forever. No real loss. It's one less app to have on my Galaxy SII (yes I still use it in 2022)

I'm not going to be one of those zombies who's face is buried into their phone all the time. I think there was a SeaQuest DSV episode about tech addiction, but it involved VR gaming. Still telling, and maybe me watching a lot of classic sci-fi gave me insight to over-reliance on media, AI, VR, etc.

Does Skype even still work? I thought it got replaced with Teams or something as of this year? I only know Skype for a lot of podcasts/vlogs I followed (being vegan I followed Gary Francione a lot, and he relied on Skype circa ~2015 at the latest) and the video quality was always atrocious, as was the framerate. It was like watching Facetime in ~2010

Forums have started gaining social media style features especially those reliant on Xenforo-based software. There's a friend system and various other features available so that's why you're getting those requests. I just ignore anything like that. There's no real advantage to friends on a forum since no one has their own home page where content would be hidden behind friendship status the way FaceCrud does.
Ages ago, I used to do several live chats at once, almost to a point of where leaving my desktop on, logging in before leaving and just set a rule of "No social media duration of the weekends." when I was at bowling, and still pratice it, I am off fb, twitter, ig, etc. Until a few days later on that, so my notifications does not blump up. Still it is a redial back, though.. Still it is a much better platform since it is like partially like this and also part like chats too, but I love this fourm platform, I am able to walk away enjoy whatever does come into note, and just smile at the pools and watch everyone.

Facebook was good for two things in my life. Keep in mind I created the account way way back after the MySpace EOL in ~ 2009, as many of my Flickr friends moved to it, and I haven't logged in since like 2013. But two things I did get out of it:

1. Introduction and insight on veganism, intro to Bob Linden's podcasts as well as Gary Francione.

2. Met my girlfriend there. This one is still relevant to this day. In fact the most common app on my SII is the SMS app, since she lives hundreds of miles away so my phone is my primary means of communication/planning to see her.

My lord, 2009-14 were good years for me. No wonder I love that time so much.

Facebook was good for two things in my life. Keep in mind I created the account way way back after the MySpace EOL in ~ 2009, as many of my Flickr friends moved to it, and I haven't logged in since like 2013. But two things I did get out of it:

1. Introduction and insight on veganism, intro to Bob Linden's podcasts as well as Gary Francione.

2. Met my girlfriend there. This one is still relevant to this day. In fact the most common app on my SII is the SMS app, since she lives hundreds of miles away so my phone is my primary means of communication/planning to see her.

My lord, 2009-14 were good years for me. No wonder I love that time so much.
2009-2022 has been really great for me, dispite on deaths in the family, but honestly I cannot think of a better time to open up another can of coke and just watch the sunset. :)

Not anymore. I just closed my facebook account (not a very easy thing to do to be honest) and it feels awesome. I had to contact facebook customer service number from this source twice as i didn't understand how to proceed with the cancellation. Now i am a facebook-free person again.
Are you 100% *sure* you actually deleted it? I'm far too lazy to look back over this thread, but I probably wrote about this somewhere.... You can 'delete' it only to find out later that it has been reactivated. How? Simply by clicking on a faceshit 'like' button ANYWHERE on the the Internet. In other words, it does not have to be a fb-related site, just any site that has fb 'like' buttons, you click one, you've just reactivated your 'deleted' fb account. I found out the hard way and did, ultimately, really and truly DELETE my account, but I THOUGHT I had done that years earlier.

I have Ghostery, privacy browser, a facebook blocker from devouring other sites, all the bells and whistles to keep away lurkers who dare enter my fb account too, well all three faceshiiiiiiiiittttttttttts anyway, but lets not talk about my second one, that ba%%strd ows me money. And fast. And a new discreet mode too.

Back
Top Bottom