• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Galaxy Nexus Watering Hole

You know, Dr. Benjamin Franklin developed Daylight Saving Time as a complete JOKE.

Go figure that somebody in our country would actually take it seriously and implement it as national policy... fully believing, I presume, that if you cut a foot off the bottom of a rope and attach it to the top of the rope, that you'll really have a longer rope.

:rolleyes:

:D

http://www.timeanddate.com/time/dst/history.html

Tilted axis, elliptical orbit, the time of dawn doesn't change linearly with the seasons.

In 2005 the US adjusted which week it ends in an energy saving bill.

Franklin was able to joke about it because in his time there weren't time zones - noon was whenever the sun was highest overhead - and clocks were owned by the wealthy.

Noon is almost always wrong but standardized time came about and the number train crashes per year diminished rapidly.

Railroad time became mighty good on land, but as a Navy man I think you'll agree that the only absolute time that mattered on the high seas for long thereafter was Greenwich time, essential for navigation.

At the end of the day, and that's coming an hour earlier for me tonight, all of standardized time is a joke.

Then again, reality is a collective hunch. :)

Yep, the railroads determined when church started in small towns and villages, which set their clocks based on train arrivals.

Greenwich Time, now referred to as Zulu Time (the Pentagon just can't leave well enough alone, ya know), allows all vessels at sea everywhere to coordinate messages, rendezvous, navigation, everything.

But like Early said: standardized time isn't so exact. Variations in Earth rotation speed trash any concept of "time" for us so we make our best guess... resulting in a day that is actually currently about 23 hours, 59 minutes and 56 seconds long. So what do we humans do? We save up all those missing 4 second bits and have a leap day every 4 years. And leap minutes as needed.

We come up with clocks that are accurate to within milliseconds in a billion years: but the universe just won't cooperate, will it?

:)

from my amazing GNEX to the SIII to the note 3 I about to move on to my next android adventure and if the leaks are true (don take my word) the HTC one M8 the nexus 6 the note edge will all be out about the middle of the month on TMo I have a hard choice to make but after playing with lollipop on my dads nexus 5 the nexus 6 is pulling me towards it away from the note 4 or the note edge

BBK, Lollipop sounds pretty promising usage-wise: but with every new iteration of Android - this one particularly - it's harder & harder to find a root exploit and install custom ROMs.

I believe I predicted about a year ago that we were within two years of losing our modding habits, locked out forever due to increasingly tight code for which no exploit can be found (locked bootloaders don't help either). We're about halfway there: Lollipop is ferociously difficult to root or maintain root. I can imagine next year's Marshmallow - or whatever Android M will be called - will be the final nail in the modding coffin: and Android ROM & kernel flashing will be a thing of the past.

Android 5.0 Lollipop SDK Makes Rooting More Difficult And Overriding Impose Serious Risk To Attacks - International Business Times

I hope I'm wrong: I've rooted and ROMmed every Android phone I've ever had and loved it. But events are bearing me out pretty well.

:( :( :(

I still have my GNex. It's still in pretty decent shape.
I still have mine, but thanks to a partial dip into saltwater (only the bottom 1/2 inch or so) the LTE/cell radio is dead. Every thing else still works, though - including wifi... I will still charge it up every now and again so my kids can play angry birds or watch movies, but it is no good as a phone now.

I hope I'm wrong: I've rooted and ROMmed every Android phone I've ever had and loved it. But events are bearing me out pretty well.

For devices with a locked bootloader, it's about to get really hard to root and rom. For those with unlockable bootloaders, it seems all that's necessary is flashing an insecure kernel in order to permit gaining root.

Hello folks! The Moto X is the first phone I haven't rooted and rom'd and I haven't missed it. However, what I'm missing right now is a removable battery. :( My battery is slowly going kaput after 14 months of ownership. Two incidents of battery failing to charge even while indicating Charging(AC). Consistently getting more and more poor battery life. It's now back to the point where I can't go anywhere without a charger. When I first bought it, I could count on leaving the house in the morning, using moderately, and returning with 10-20% in the late afternoon/early evening.

Hello folks! The Moto X is the first phone I haven't rooted and rom'd and I haven't missed it.
Ditto on that. I haven't even unlocked the bootloaded.:o
However, what I'm missing right now is a removable battery. :( My battery is slowly going kaput after 14 months of ownership. Two incidents of battery failing to charge even while indicating Charging(AC). Consistently getting more and more poor battery life. It's now back to the point where I can't go anywhere without a charger. When I first bought it, I could count on leaving the house in the morning, using moderately, and returning with 10-20% in the late afternoon/early evening.
I'm not having that issue at all gEEk. I'm still able to go 48 hours easy if I forget to charge it with no change in my usage habits from my GNex to this phone. In fact, I don't bump charge at all on my commute to and from work now as I did with the gnex.:(

Ditto on that. I haven't even unlocked the bootloaded.:o

I'm not having that issue at all gEEk. I'm still able to go 48 hours easy if I forget to charge it with no change in my usage habits from my GNex to this phone. In fact, I don't bump charge at all on my commute to and from work now as I did with the gnex.:(

I'm not sure what's going on with mine. I left the house at 10AM on Saturday to go to the game. I used it a total of 30 minutes to send a couple of texts and check some stuff on Twitter. Picked it up again around 1PM and was at 40%. Confused, I plugged it in to charge and it wouldn't charge at all eventhough it said it was at full AC current. By the time I got in the stadium at 5PM the phone was dead. Didn't even get 1 hour of usage out of it. It's to the point now where I'm back to doing what I did with the GNex. Plugged in all day at work just in case I need it in the afternoon when I can't be near a charger.

I think I'm going to see if Motorola will replace it. I called them about this issue before my warranty ran out and they told me to try something and see if it worked. It did, but just temporarily.

BBK, Lollipop sounds pretty promising usage-wise: but with every new iteration of Android - this one particularly - it's harder & harder to find a root exploit and install custom ROMs.

I believe I predicted about a year ago that we were within two years of losing our modding habits, locked out forever due to increasingly tight code for which no exploit can be found (locked bootloaders don't help either). We're about halfway there: Lollipop is ferociously difficult to root or maintain root. I can imagine next year's Marshmallow - or whatever Android M will be called - will be the final nail in the modding coffin: and Android ROM & kernel flashing will be a thing of the past.

Android 5.0 Lollipop SDK Makes Rooting More Difficult And Overriding Impose Serious Risk To Attacks - International Business Times

Possibly no more Xposed. So far no luck getting it to work on L.

I am very much ready to stop buying Samsung... only they already have my money for a Note 4 Developer Device. EXCEPT:

I just called and in the interim with their incessant bean-dippin' around my case, the Note 4 DEs are suddenly OUT OF STOCK! :eek:

So here I sit with a boxed-up Note 3 DE that they sent me, presumably on PURPOSE since the item number on the order was deliberately changed to SM-N900V instead of SM-N910V (sorry Sammy, I ain't buying a "typo" excuse as the 1 and 0 are quite a distance from each other on the keyboard and I can't imagine a keypad device operator making such an error and not double-checking it). Small consolation that Sammy DID promise a pre-paid return label for this year-old device and a courtesy overnight shipment of the Note 4 DE... IF it ever comes back in stock!

:mad: (<---- this does not adequately convey how furious I really am right now)

I am very much ready to stop buying Samsung... only they already have my money for a Note 4 Developer Device. EXCEPT:

I just called and in the interim with their incessant bean-dippin' around my case, the Note 4 DEs are suddenly OUT OF STOCK! :eek:

So here I sit with a boxed-up Note 3 DE that they sent me, presumably on PURPOSE since the item number on the order was deliberately changed to SM-N900V instead of SM-N910V (sorry Sammy, I ain't buying a "typo" excuse as the 1 and 0 are quite a distance from each other on the keyboard and I can't imagine a keypad device operator making such an error and not double-checking it). Small consolation that Sammy DID promise a pre-paid return label for this year-old device and a courtesy overnight shipment of the Note 4 DE... IF it ever comes back in stock!

:mad: (<---- this does not adequately convey how furious I really am right now)

That sucks big time. And their developer editions have a habit of having weird supply issues on top of that. At least worst case scenario, you can get a Nexus on Verizon again in a few weeks where you know you'll be able to root and rom like the old Gnex days.

I was always positive VZ would get a Nexus again. That doesn't mean I'm not still shocked, surprised I'll soon be using one their network again. Also a bit excited :)

Back
Top Bottom