• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Gingerbread Battery Life

Kevmueller

Android Expert
Aug 3, 2010
Kansas City
OK, so I have been on the rooted leaked version for a week. I do have mine overclocked and undervolted but I was seeing some great battery life this weekend, but I wanted to wait and see what my normal day would be during the workday. Using the circle battery widget I just hit 80% after being off the charger for 5 1/2 hours. The best battery life I would see under normal use with any custom ROM (Apex) was about 5% drain an hour. I also have some of the stock blur features running that before would kill my battery (Social Networking widget).

This is with around 25 text messages sent and 30 received, 2 phone calls for about 10 minutes checking and responding to my G-mail, keeping up on my social networking widget (twitter and facebook) and jumping on the internet to read a few news stories. Checking the Amazon App store for the free app and getting updates from the market on a few of my apps. My display is set to 10% brightness and was 48% of my battery use.

So far I have been very happy with Gingerbread and the new blur. If I continue to see this battery life I will be VERY happy.

I actually flashed back to froyo after a week on gb. All was fine for a while and then several days in a row I charged it fully, turned the screen off and went to bed. 5 hours later battery at 20% with phone idle listed as 80% drain. Tried everything I could think of including deleting battery stats. Back on froyo now for a couple days and no problems at all again. I'm at around 13 hours off the charger and 80% battery left.

Upvote 0
I just flashed back to Froyo today...was getting about 12 hours of battery off of GB. Not sure why. I want to check out Liberty 2 and then probably head back to GB when apex is posted there.

I was just wondering about battery life on GB and found this thread. So, is everyone happy with the battery life on the leaked rooted GB?

alprazolam,

Don't expect any miracles with Liberty 2.0. Flashed it yesterday and today after about 6 hours I am already at 60%. I had this same problem on Liberty 1.0 and 1.5, it would just kill my battery.

Reactions: alprazolam
Upvote 0
I haven't really kept track of my battery usage but I do know if I surf the web on my phone I can kill the battery down to 10% in a matter of a few hours. That's from a full charge. I noticed sitting at idle for an hour or so my battery will be down to 85-90%. So, is this normal?

I have the latest GB and have it OC and UV.

Upvote 0
I was just wondering about battery life on GB and found this thread. So, is everyone happy with the battery life on the leaked rooted GB?

alprazolam,

Don't expect any miracles with Liberty 2.0. Flashed it yesterday and today after about 6 hours I am already at 60%. I had this same problem on Liberty 1.0 and 1.5, it would just kill my battery.

The jury is still out for me on this one. My battery life seems to have taken a hit since moving from fission to GB, however I've just recently found a couple possible culprits also causing the phone to lag and showing up in the battery usage -> Palmonary Weather & WidgetLocker which I've frozen the Palm. weather and removed WL respectively to test.

Upvote 0
Im running ZombieStomped and this is getting great battery life. I've used my phone very heavy today (uploading over 100 photos to photobucket) and I am still getting great battery life.

snap20110425_130100.png

Upvote 0
Stock gb kicks stock froyo's @ss...been running first leak gb since it came out, but today decided to switch to 588. so I sbfed back to 340 and tried to install the three files, but out was a no go, first file worked but second was corrupt, so sbfed back to froyo and have been running it all day till I can download the files again. on my phone no more today than usual and already had to put it on the charger. GB will last me all day and then some with no problems

Upvote 0
So after a full day of usage, I am a heavy text messenger and google talk user... And I mean a LOT of text messages. I use the facebook and twitter launcher pro widgets. I also am overclocked at 1.25 GHz and running on ultra low voltage. I use the lowest settings on the display. No games, maybe a few web pages here and there.

Before I flash Apex, is there something I am doing wrong to not get this insane battery life? Here's how my battery looks...

2cymu4h.jpg

Edit: My 2 widgets update every 15 minutes... Maybe that's a problem. And Facebook app every 30.

Upvote 0

alprazolam,

My battery life was plummeting but then I realized that I had Tweetcaster checking for new tweets every 3 mins. Changed that to 30 mins and I saw improvement.

I stayed on Libery 2 for about a week and missed GB. Came back and am now on Apex 2 Alpha 2. I don't know what my battery can do because I've been messing with my phone constantly! When I get back to work, I'm sure that I'll see a more normal usage pattern.

Upvote 0
My battery life was plummeting but then I realized that I had Tweetcaster checking for new tweets every 3 mins. Changed that to 30 mins and I saw improvement.

I stayed on Libery 2 for about a week and missed GB. Came back and am now on Apex 2 Alpha 2. I don't know what my battery can do because I've been messing with my phone constantly! When I get back to work, I'm sure that I'll see a more normal usage pattern.

Thanks! I don't use twitter, facebook, or any of that stuff (I have no friends :D ). Will dig around and see if there are any apps that might be draining it down. I am basically running the same stuff I was running on DarkSlide 4.2 and got great battery life with it. I always keep my screen brightness set to the lowest level on all rom's.

Upvote 0
So after a full day of usage, I am a heavy text messenger and google talk user... And I mean a LOT of text messages. I use the facebook and twitter launcher pro widgets. I also am overclocked at 1.25 GHz and running on ultra low voltage. I use the lowest settings on the display. No games, maybe a few web pages here and there.

Before I flash Apex, is there something I am doing wrong to not get this insane battery life? Here's how my battery looks...

2cymu4h.jpg

Edit: My 2 widgets update every 15 minutes... Maybe that's a problem. And Facebook app every 30.

Widgets updating that frequently will definitely play a factor. You might also want to adjust the brightness manually since you're texting so much.

Upvote 0
Thanks! I don't use twitter, facebook, or any of that stuff (I have no friends :D ). Will dig around and see if there are any apps that might be draining it down. I am basically running the same stuff I was running on DarkSlide 4.2 and got great battery life with it. I always keep my screen brightness set to the lowest level on all rom's.

I used to have over 500 "friends" on facebook and then realized that all of the drama was stupid for me. I use twitter and follow only the top tech and android folks. It's basically a real-time news feed for me. No friends there either. I prefer to interact with friends in real-life for now.

Has anyone confirmed a working 3G on/off toggle to work with GB? I tried dataswitch, which was suggested by another member, but it wouldn't work for GB.

Upvote 0
OC'd to 1.15 on ULV (JRummy's App)
25 minute phone call, 30ish texts, 10ish e-mails, 15ish minutes messing with beautiful widgets, 20ish minutes looking through tweetdeck and 5ish minutes using Maps to check the F-ed up morning traffic

still at 90% battery life after 4.5 hours... yes, I'm VERY happy with my battery life on Gingerbread (apex-alpha2)
I'm averaging over 30 hours on a charge right now
Bat-Life.jpg

Upvote 0
I actually flashed back to froyo after a week on gb. All was fine for a while and then several days in a row I charged it fully, turned the screen off and went to bed. 5 hours later battery at 20% with phone idle listed as 80% drain. Tried everything I could think of including deleting battery stats. Back on froyo now for a couple days and no problems at all again. I'm at around 13 hours off the charger and 80% battery left.
I had the exact same issue on the first GB rooted leak. First few days had average battery life, then it started plummeting. I used to have 30% around midnight after taking off the charger around 7AM, and then I started hitting 15% around 6PM. Big drop. Flashed Apex 2.0 A2 yesterday, and I'm still at 80% right now at 3PM (8 hours off the charger), with extremely light usage. Definitely comparable with the best results I got off of Froyo (and better than the first GB leak). I look forward to seeing if it can maintain these results, or if it will just start sucking juice after a few days like the first leak...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones