• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Grand X Max + OFFICIAL LOLLIPOP UPDATE FROM ZTE!!!!!!!

Here is a new version of the TWRP-flashable pre-rooted 5.1 update. It has the modem update built in and it also updates the splash screen to the new one that comes with the 5.1 OTA. This should be the final version.
https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=24052804347800366

Is this still available, I tried to go to the link but all I get is the file not found error page. Or if you could send it to my email with instructions I would really appreciate it.

Thanks

Got update to run like it should, had the, "can not find update nag at first", until I saved the zip to card.

Thought I did backup but looks like it dumped all my phone numbers.

How do I access the SD card now, I see no setting now to open the card, I can see the card from my computer hook up but it looks like it wiped all the phone numbers too.

My pics and all my email addresses were imported over.

Any suggestions ?

Ok then, finally found the backup @ Google drive and retrieved the lost info.

Still do not know how to view SD card from phone, if there is a way ?

Actually it is file manager and then clik the icon in the upper right hand corner in the second task bar thing.

This is sooo different than what I was using ...

Oh, and the phone numbers are wiped from the card, pics, music, and email data is still there.

Not sure why they went away and everything else imported from the update.

Still making adjustments, just keep clickin buttons to see what they do ...

: )

Last edited:
I had and used the flashlight app on day one and when looking for it a couple of days later the app is gone.

It is not listed in the widget or apps page on the phone.

I have looked the camera section over and pushed all the buttons, managed to get it to work for a couple of seconds by selecting fun or auto and then going to manual, will auto flash it.

Any suggestions or links to help ? I used the search feature here and it came up with no hits for flashlight app missing.

Next !

I do not see the option to multiple select camera pics to do a mass delete. Looks like it is one pic at a time with having to give it the okay for each one.

Anyone ?

Press and hold on a picture/album and then let go. It will highlight the item and the you click the trashcan at the bottom of the screen.

Also, you might want to get a file manager as it allows for you to move pictures and more instead of just sharing, deleting and hiding.

Let me try to clarify, I know how to delete them one at a time, the old OS allowed for multi-selection of images to delete as a bulk action.

That does not seem to be an option anymore ?

fyi my trash can is at the top of the screen.

Had this pop up on my zte grand x max + this morning. Is it the marshmallow update?? Anyway we can get another pre-rooted flashable rom Mastercheif87?

Attachments

• 13410538_1106572869402400_328887934_o.jpg
    13410538_1106572869402400_328887934_o.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 119
  • 13383369_1106572879402399_685314547_o.jpg
    13383369_1106572879402399_685314547_o.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 111
  • 13383912_1106572909402396_1608276315_o.jpg
    13383912_1106572909402396_1608276315_o.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 113
  • 13396781_1106572892735731_1516743676_o.jpg
    13396781_1106572892735731_1516743676_o.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 100
Anything on that update? If you need the update.zip file, just tell me what I got to do. Need to know where the file is, and what site to use to upload it to you.

Last edited:
Really would like a custom rom for the Max plus, that way I don't have to mess with this stock anymore. If anyone knows of a rom that functions correctly, please post a link or whatever works best. Thanks in advance.

Really would like a custom rom for the Max plus, that way I don't have to mess with this stock anymore. If anyone knows of a rom that functions correctly, please post a link or whatever works best. Thanks in advance.

The zte zmax roms work but you won't be able to use the camera. Sorry but that's your only option other than stock lollipop or KitKat.

Software Updates
ZTE Grand X Max+ Software Upgrade Instructions (English - DOC - 910KB)
Android 5.1 Software Update - Software Version: Z987V2.2.12

ZTE Grand X Max+ Software Upgrade (ZIP - 867MB)
Android 5.1 Software Update - Software Version: Z987V2.2.12

Does anybody still have a copy of this update? -- ZTE no longer offers a links for instructions of zip file update.
I read here that the user might need to root the phone first?
What happens if you try to install the update without rooting the phone?

I recently repaired a broken display or screen to this device, and I replaced the battery. The biggest reason was to get the data I had on this device. I inserted the SIM card into the phone from AT&T only to find that mobile telephony or call support is now blocked on the network, taken off the whitelist, even though the phone is a 4G LTE device. I have a "Razer Phone 2" 4G LTE phone running Android 9 ("Pie") just fine. I know that the federal government, maybe state and local governments are no longer allowing phones from the People's Republic of China on their network, worried about data security and privacy breeches. This I believe affects ZTE and Huawei manufactured phones. Interesting, however, I found that I still have broadband data from AT&T and Wi-Fi capability at home and where available. So, I am using a VOIP app to make calls as a work around. I am not sure if Google Voice works as it piggy-backs onto the mobile telephone number, but magicJack's magicApp does not.

I updated a number of applications on this phone. I was fine until I installed "Telegram (classic)" and "Telegram X" from Google Play using the same mobile telephone phone number from my SIM card. This seemed to break my contacts functionality which I have yet to recover from. Telegram app use Contacts, "Contacts Storage", and maybe "Google Contacts Sync". I now get an error notifying me that "the 'android.process.acore' process has stopped". I did not take the time to test backing up my contacts and then restoring those contact. I do not want to do a factory reset either. I also noted that Google Accounts will not allow me to add the mobile telephone phone number to any of my three Google Accounts because the phone number cannot be verified. So, there could be a security glitch with Google Contacts Sync since the mobile telephony phone number from the SIM card cannot be added and verified. I traced the problem to the point where if I disable "Contacts Storage" the process error exception goes away. However, my contacts are no longer functional or accessible. And I cannot sync my contacts with Google. When "Contacts Storage" is running and the process error keeps appearing, Telegram will fail. In fact, many if not all messaging apps appear to fail including Messages, Contacts, and magicApp. I am trying to update my applications on this phone to see if that helps. After removing the Telegram apps, I reloaded only Telegram (classic). I am using my magicJack number and it appears to be working. All I see now is raw telephone numbers like the old days. My Contacts lookup functionality is gone for now. I cleared the cache for all my apps including the Contacts apps, "Contacts", "Contacts Storage", and "Google Contacts Sync". I also cleared the data for "Contacts" and "Contacts Storage" without trying a backup first which I should have done. I thought Google Contacts Sync might get my data back for me later. I am not sure if the data is keyed to the phone number or just a Google Account. And a Google Account can map to three phone numbers, I think. Maybe getting this phone to Android 5.1 might fix the problem with my Contacts. I have to thank AT&T for blocking my phone number on this phone. Maybe this problem is tied to removing this phone from the authorized whitelist of devices on the AT&T network. When Telegram failed, I was given a report to send to Telegram. There was a lot of information collected to include a developer log file, an Event Log, and a Stack Trace. I did take some screen shots of the Stack Track because it was fairly short in length. I did mention a heap allocation or deallocation error. So, maybe the versions of Telegram and "Telegram X" I got from Google Play are not supported for my ZTE Z987 Grand X Max+ device. I should not have tried to load new software apps, just update existing apps. Lesson learned, I guess. There are some third party Contact apps which I could try to load. But, I have not figure out that path yet. If I do that I wonder if I can remove the existing Contacts app and "Contacts Storage" app from the device which came OEM. That likely requires rooting the device, removing the apps, then unrooting the device.

Last edited:
The zte zmax roms work but you won't be able to use the camera. Sorry but that's your only option other than stock lollipop or KitKat.
But can't you just load another camera app to replace the stock version?
And can a third-party camera app be loaded at the system level when the phone is in a temporary rooted state?
Can the phone be rooted again with third party software after the update is complete? -- I think I have read of a couple terminal apps that put your phone into a rooted state allowing read and write privileges to the phone which I assume would allow access at the system level.

But can't you just load another camera app to replace the stock version?
And can a third-party camera app be loaded at the system level when the phone is in a temporary rooted state?
Can the phone be rooted again with third party software after the update is complete? -- I think I have read of a couple terminal apps that put your phone into a rooted state allowing read and write privileges to the phone which I assume would allow access at the system level.
just an fyi that member posted that in 2016. i doubt you will get a response. not familiar with your phone, but there really was not much in terms of a dev community for your phone. all i saw over at xda was how to root the phone. probably, but you would need a cracked version or pirated version of the app. the phone is rooted but not the app.

and looks like the only thing i can find uses kingo root to root the phone:

but why do you want to root this phone? it is so old now.

Back
Top Bottom