• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help HOW TO: Reverting Back to 2.1

Crap! ok, so I tried it and it failed... RSD Lite says Failed flashing process in the status section and I had a thing pop on in windows saying the driver wast recognised (where as it was before) and now my phone has a black screen that says "SW Update in progress.."
can I unplug my phone from the computer and pull the battery and see what happens or am I compleatly boned?

Upvote 0
Crap! ok, so I tried it and it failed... RSD Lite says Failed flashing process in the status section and I had a thing pop on in windows saying the driver wast recognised (where as it was before) and now my phone has a black screen that says "SW Update in progress.."
can I unplug my phone from the computer and pull the battery and see what happens or am I compleatly boned?

make sure you moved the pst_flash.ini file into the RSD directory like i said in the video.

Also, make sure the drivers are properly installed.

even if it goes to the code corrupt screen, load the bootloader (Camera + vol down + pwr).

You're not screwed, you can ALWAYS re-flash the phone, making it virtually unbrickable.

Upvote 0
Any idea what percentage it got to during the install?

Upvote 0
Ok, I closed RSD, reloaded it and pointed it to the sbf again, plugged in the phone and it recognised it again, so I clicked start again. phone went back to black screen with sw update. its on flashing group 39 again (which is around where it was last time.)
@eric yeah I followed everything step for step on the video. (very helpful video btw)
keeping my fingers crossed this works this time.

Edit: Its definatly making it farther then before, its at the first phone rebooting part now

Upvote 0
Ok, I closed RSD, reloaded it and pointed it to the sbf again, plugged in the phone and it recognised it again, so I clicked start again. phone went back to black screen with sw update. its on flashing group 39 again (which is around where it was last time.)
@eric yeah I followed everything step for step on the video. (very helpful video btw)
keeping my fingers crossed this works this time.

Awesome, I'll cross my fingers too ;)

A little sidenote; Mine failed on the first computer I tried as well, so I attempted on an old laptop (xp) and a third computer (vista) and it worked. If it fails again (hopefuly not!) if possible try another computer.

Either way post back here and we'll get you sorted out ;)

Upvote 0
Awesome, I'll cross my fingers too ;)

A little sidenote; Mine failed on the first computer I tried as well, so I attempted on an old laptop (xp) and a third computer (vista) and it worked. If it fails again (hopefuly not!) if possible try another computer.

Either way post back here and we'll get you sorted out ;)

ok the X appears to be in a boot loop now, and RSD says please manually power up the phone.
is this when I unplug it from the computer, pull the battery, and reboot it with home + power and wipe data?

Upvote 0
OK well, I pulled the cord, pulled the battery, hit home and power, then search, and my finger slipped and clicked the camera button, went straight into reeboot phone before I could wipe data first.... it went back into boot loop, I pulled the battery aagin, started in home + power again, wiped data, then clicked reboot phone, still stuck in bootloop... should I try to flash it again?

Upvote 0
OK well, I pulled the cord, pulled the battery, hit home and power, then search, and my finger slipped and clicked the camera button, went straight into reeboot phone before I could wipe data first.... it went back into boot loop, I pulled the battery aagin, started in home + power again, wiped data, then clicked reboot phone, still stuck in bootloop... should I try to flash it again?

yeah, flash it again.

Make sure your SD card isn't in the phone.

I do believe there will be changes when we get the final release.

Gawd i hope so.. 2.2 was horrifying imo.

Upvote 0
no problem ;)

Let me know what happens.

On a sidenote; I was thinking your latest flash was a little too quick for it to be fully done, it just seemed that way to me.

yeah I was wondering about that too... you had said 45 minutes, but it was only like less then 10ish...
phones rebooting again now from rsd so...
and it looks like its gone into the boot loop again

Upvote 0
yeah I was wondering about that too... you had said 45 minutes, but it was only like less then 10ish...
phones rebooting again now from rsd so...
and it looks like its gone into the boot loop again

do you by any chance have another computer to try it on?

Also, if it doesn't work this time try uninstalling/reinstalling RSD and the Drivers.

Upvote 0
ok, this time I went into boot recovery and went to wipe data and instead of just going straight to reboot phone, its actually doing something. right now it says formatting cache so that might have been the issue.
fingers recrossed!
ok looks like no more bootloop, its sitting on the eye moving for a bit, which is probiably normal since its trying to reload everything fresh.

Upvote 0
ok, this time I went into boot recovery and went to wipe data and instead of just going straight to reboot phone, its actually doing something. right now it says formatting cache so that might have been the issue.
fingers recrossed!

ohh yeah when wiping you should def. see a loading bar for a good 5-10 mins.

sounds like all is well. Keep me posted.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones