• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

If Apple sucks so much, how are they so successful?

At this point in time I feel I can give a somewhat unbiased opinion here.

A little background first. I'm a support analyst for a large corporation, level 2 (local, desk side) if it matters. For 6 years I've been supporting exclusively Dell, HP and IBM computers with Windows 2000, XP and now 7 as well as Blackberry devices with varying versions of BBOS. For me, it was Windows or the highway. I have A+, N+ and several MCP (that are probably now expired anyway).

In March the company sent a Mac to our office, I was #1 to get learning. I'm now on track for an ACMT certification (one test done, one to go). From the first time I got my hands on it it just seemed EASY. It took me less than 30 seconds to find the MAC address to add it to my wireless MAC filter at home and I had NEVER touched a Mac in my life (I'd probably STILL be looking for it in Windows if I didn't know where it was). After only a few days with the gestures on the trackpad, I'm now trying to use those on my Dell that is my primary work PC. I'm ALMOST to the point of considering one for my next personal laptop. The screen is BEAUTIFUL, easy to read even when outside on a sunny day (can't say that about my personal HP laptop), the keyboard is easy to type on, it's well-built, the MagSafe power connector can't be beat (or broken easily), installing applications is a breeze. As some people say, "it just works". I know I haven't explored EVERYTHING this machine (MacBook Pro Early 2011) has to offer, but I will over the course of the next month as I work toward the second ACMT test.

Reactions: YankeeDudeL
Upvote 0
I'm a support tech as well and have just as many certifications as you do except I do a lot of server stuff as well as desktop support. I had the opposite experience with Apple. Someone showed up with a MacBook they had purchased on their own and they wanted to connect to a MFP. I could not for the life of me figure out how to point the dang thing at the IP of the MFP and install printer drivers on the thing. I finally figured out how to do it, but I had to dig through what felt like a billion menus to get there. Huge PITA. I never want to touch a Mac again.

Upvote 0
I think the majority of mass smartphone buyers should stick with iPhones if all they want is the basics and care nothing for tweaking and customization. Android is not for everyone.

I'd agree with that. To get everything you want out of an Android takes a bit of know how. And some of the things that make Android great can be somewhat complex to inexperienced users. The iPhone is a streamlined, nearly foolproof smartphone.

Reactions: A.Nonymous
Upvote 0
I'd agree with that. To get everything you want out of an Android takes a bit of know how. And some of the things that make Android great can be somewhat complex to inexperienced users. The iPhone is a streamlined, nearly foolproof smartphone.

You need to be OPEN to android and willing to LEARN and get your hands dirty to get your phone to WORK FOR YOU. Sadly...most people don't and if they have an Android, they hate it (battery life issue) or simply don't utilize it to its fullness. I myself don't. Really, the sky is the limit with Android. I can't say the same about an iPhone.

Upvote 0
To be completely fair mplevy, your experience is from a technically literate point of view. I'd be pretty disappointed in those certifications if somebody with your level of qualification couldn't sit in front of a Linux (allegedly the opposite of user friendly) or a Mac box for the first time and not find your way around in a matter of moments.

When I attended college we had both Mac and PC workrooms. I recall sitting in either and watching people fumble over where to begin. I would actually lean towards Mac having been the more difficult for newcomers, but there's absolutely nothing scientific in that judgement.

Upvote 0
To be completely fair mplevy, your experience is from a technically literate point of view. I'd be pretty disappointed in those certifications if somebody with your level of qualification couldn't sit in front of a Linux (allegedly the opposite of user friendly) or a Mac box for the first time and not find your way around in a matter of moments.

I guess the point really is that Apple has made it SO easy to find that information. Take someone that deals strictly with Macs, put them in front of a Windows computer and ask them to find the same information, with no outside assistance. Good luck. The fastest way I know to get it is to run a command ("ipconfig /all" for the record) at the command prompt. On the Mac, it's literally 3 clicks that anyone with any sort of logical thought processes should be able to figure out.

Upvote 0
Just to clarify... I'm a guy. lol Does my avatar really throw people off that much? :p

Yes! Lol. Until you've been around the forums for a while the avatar completely throws you for a loop

You need to be OPEN to android and willing to LEARN and get your hands dirty to get your phone to WORK FOR YOU. Sadly...most people don't and if they have an Android, they hate it (battery life issue) or simply don't utilize it to its fullness. I myself don't. Really, the sky is the limit with Android. I can't say the same about an iPhone.

The best part of Android is that there are so many things you can do with it - and even the inexperienced user can become quite experienced whereas the people who use Apple just want to really be able to turn on and go. I am one of those people who LOVES Android but I also have a few Apple products that are great for when I need to keep my daughter (or sometimes even my mother!) entertained without draining my phone battery.

Upvote 0
Apple also has a fantastic operating system. I'm using the new Lion and it's much better than Windows 7 in terms of user experience. The touchpad on Apple laptops are simply unmatched. There's no hick ups and there's many useful gestures that are nonexistent on Windows laptops. The entire OS feels so fluid and cohesive than Windows 7. I still have yet to find an ultraportable that matches the MBA (especially the updated ones).

Upvote 0
Apple brought us the first true all touchscreen smartphone that actually succeeded in putting the full internet (minus flash, ROFL) into the palm of your hand. There are still people that believe their product is better because they were essentially the first to do it right. It takes a good while to get people looking the other way, but people are. I suspect that given some more time, Apple phones will go back to being that super expensive "elite class" product that doesn't outsell the competition, but is priced higher (see there computers). This is, of course, unless that nasty patent destroys all that is Android (or insert other mobile OS/hardware here).

Upvote 0
Vihzel said:
The touchpad on Apple laptops are simply unmatched. There's no hick ups and there's many useful gestures that are nonexistent on Windows laptops.

This I can agree with wholeheartedly. Clearly though, the masses don't find these gestures important enough (based on OSX versus Windows computer sales). They are nice, though unnecessary.

Upvote 0
idea....

google should make a (dumbed down user interface).
dont change android itself.. just the interface.

user can choose to "see" option A (simpler) or option B (full access).

and can be swapped between the 2 interfaces at any time.

Two things:

1) Good Lord, no. How can Android dumb down the UI without making it look like iOS? Is the concept of a app tray too hard? Is the notification bar hard to understand? Does the LED confuse people?

If nothing else, people should be more familiar with the Android style of doing things. The App tray is just like the Start menu. The Notification bar is just like the notification area in windows. I don't see how anything in Android's set up is harder than windows, which holds a dominating percent of market share. It stands to reason that most people feel comfortable with Windows.

2) Besides, what UI Android has doesn't matter outside of Nexus models and AOSP ROMs, anyways. HTC, Moto, Sammy, and whoever else, will continue to add their own out of spite.

Upvote 0
Two things:

I don't see how anything in Android's set up is harder than windows, which holds a dominating percent of market share. It stands to reason that most people feel comfortable with Windows.

The people that choose the iPhone over the Android are generally the ones that are NOT more comfortable with windows.

FWIW, I don't see an issue with Dan's suggestion. Give people the dumbed down un-customizable Android, or let them choose for the customizable one which requires slightly more knowledge and babysitting.

Upvote 0
Case 1) Possible defective DVD burner in a PowerMac G5, I call at 6:00pm EST and get a human voice within 5 minutes. This person is an American and actually possesses extensive product knowledge and a great easy-going personality. This person assists me with all the basic troubleshooting steps, low and behold it was the media I bought that wasn't playing nicely with the burner.

Case 2) The screen on my iPod develops lines of varying contrast, I walk into an Apple store without an appointment, and minutes later I walk out with a brand new iPod.

Apple stuff is more expensive, but they absolutely know how to take care of their customers and they do a very good job with their software design, and integration.

Can you really say the same about Google, Dell, Best Buy, Verizon, Samsung?

I think the customer service varies within the country.

My iPhone has the yellow tint issue and I called the Apple Store where I bought it. I always get the "follow-up" thing. I get sick of it after three times and went to the store itself. I have to argue with the employees that this is not a personal fault but a defect (seriously? they think I did it, how is that possible) and I finally got my replacement after waiting 2 days.

Upvote 0
I think the customer service varies within the country.

My iPhone has the yellow tint issue and I called the Apple Store where I bought it. I always get the "follow-up" thing. I get sick of it after three times and went to the store itself. I have to argue with the employees that this is not a personal fault but a defect (seriously? they think I did it, how is that possible) and I finally got my replacement after waiting 2 days.

That's strange. I have always only had wonderful experiences. Even with a small dead (stuck) pixel on the top left of my screen. Took them a while to see it, but once they did see it, they swapped it out in a jiff.

One phone went through the wash the day after I bought it. I took it in, was completely honest, and they replaced it for $100. This is without any sort of insurance, Apple care, or anything.

Upvote 0
If I am not mistaken, they did give us the modern mouse, and the first true personal computer. They also gave us fire wire, and this new thunderbolt (or whatever that new port is called).

Apple hypes that, but none of it is true. There were mice around in the 60s and 70s long before Apple came along. There were personal computers long before Apple came along as well. Firewire was indeed invented by Apple, but it's hardly an innovative interface. It's simply a high speed bus. Thunderbolt was not invented by Apple at all. It was invented by Intel although Apple probably won't tell you that.

This is probably the core reason for a lot of the Apple hate. Apple lies and embellishes their accomplishments over and over and over and over again to the point where the general public just accepts these things as truth. Everyone is saying Apple invented the mouse therefore it must be true.

Reactions: Roze and dan330
Upvote 0
Apple hypes that, but none of it is true. There were mice around in the 60s and 70s long before Apple came along. There were personal computers long before Apple came along as well. Firewire was indeed invented by Apple, but it's hardly an innovative interface. It's simply a high speed bus. Thunderbolt was not invented by Apple at all. It was invented by Intel although Apple probably won't tell you that.

This is probably the core reason for a lot of the Apple hate. Apple lies and embellishes their accomplishments over and over and over and over again to the point where the general public just accepts these things as truth. Everyone is saying Apple invented the mouse therefore it must be true.

I did use the word "modern", right? ;)

Upvote 0
If I am not mistaken, they did give us the modern mouse, and the first true personal computer. They also gave us fire wire, and this new thunderbolt (or whatever that new port is called).

To be fair, other companies sue too. Look at Nokia and RIM.

You are very much mistaken, but that's okay. Apple prefers it that way.

Here is an interesting look at the first personal computers.

The first computer mouse was invented by Douglas Engelbart which, in 1967, nine years before steve and woz built that Apple I, he applied for a patent which he received in 1970.

Firewire (Apple's name for the IEEE 1394 High Speed Serial Bus) was a joint development effort between Apple, Texas Instruments, Sony, IBM, DEC and a handful of others.

They also did not give us the first GUI, the first optical disk reader, the first laser printer or the first desktop publishing program, although they have been mistakenly credited with them.

And to be completely accurate, Apple never "gave" us anything. The SOLD us a boatload of cool technology, but it wasn't motivated by anything but the bottom line. They are pretty damn good at it, too.

Reactions: Roze and dan330
Upvote 0
I too will be hypocritical here, Apple products are made for the technologically ******ed. Their computers are made for people who are dumb and cant understand a windows or linux machine plus the simplicity of everything they make. And also not to mention the mindless zombies that thing apples are more secure then windows, again not true. I love the iPAD and have used them and love the platform type. But I wouldnt be caught dead with an apple/mac product.

Upvote 0
You are very much mistaken, but that's okay. Apple prefers it that way.

Here is an interesting look at the first personal computers.

The first computer mouse was invented by Douglas Engelbart which, in 1967, nine years before steve and woz built that Apple I, he applied for a patent which he received in 1970.

Firewire (Apple's name for the IEEE 1394 High Speed Serial Bus) was a joint development effort between Apple, Texas Instruments, Sony, IBM, DEC and a handful of others.

They also did not give us the first GUI, the first optical disk reader, the first laser printer or the first desktop publishing program, although they have been mistakenly credited with them.

And to be completely accurate, Apple never "gave" us anything. The SOLD us a boatload of cool technology, but it wasn't motivated by anything but the bottom line. They are pretty damn good at it, too.

And that is what Apple does best. They take an idea that's already been around and in use (like centralized notifications for example), then they put it out on their platform, maybe they shine it up a little bit, and they claim it's "magical", "innovative" and "new". The frustrating thing is that their hype machine is so freaking good that people buy it. Ten to twenty years from now, people will think that Apple invented the smartphone.

Upvote 0
Ten to twenty years from now, people will think that Apple invented the smartphone.

I think the point here is that they were the ones that made it actually appealing to the masses. I won't go on an say that without APple there would be no Android, but it is undeniable that they have influenced the market IMMENSELY.

An example I will use, if I may, is Ford. Ford didn't invent the car. Hell, I don't even think they claimed to have invented it. But they are a big reason why we have the cars we have today on the road, and people give them credit for that, possibly too much, but it is what it is, right?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones