• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Incredible Tips and Tricks

I believe that it will always show the message count no matter what you do. The crazy thing is that you really cannot shut the messaging program off. You are just shutting down the notifications. It would be nice to be able to turn the SMS/MMS part of it off and just leave the voicemail stuff on.

Basically you may use more battery up using Handcent since the messaging app and Handcent are doing double duty.

Using Handcent doesn't use any more battery than using the stock app.

I think he just needs to remove the messaging icon from the home screen. If you're not using it and Handcent is set as your default just swap icons and turn off notification on the stock app.

I think he just needs to remove the messaging icon from the home screen. If you're not using it and Handcent is set as your default just swap icons and turn off notification on the stock app.

Right, I agree it doesn't use any more battery than the stock app but with both running wouldnt it seem that it would be using more battery with two apps running and doing the same thing?

New to Android and want to thank everyone for there help. Could someone tell me if there is a way to assign a MP3 for individual contacts for notifications? I can set stock tones, but haven't been able to figure out how to use my own MP3's?

Right, I agree it doesn't use any more battery than the stock app but with both running wouldnt it seem that it would be using more battery with two apps running and doing the same thing?

They're not "running", so they're not using any battery until they are activated by the OS. Handcent only uses the messaging API's to access the system. It's not really using the stock app.

They're not "running", so they're not using any battery until they are activated by the OS. Handcent only uses the messaging API's to access the system. It's not really using the stock app.

Got that. But is it strange that the messaging app shows as running under applications? I kill it and then after I get another txt message the same thing shows up. It may just be the counter for the messaging app but something is still running in the background. Probably doesn't use up much but it is still there.

I know I am splitting hairs here but maybe someone can come up with a different way to do this.

I haven't gotten a voicemail yet with the new phone but I assume you have to use the stock messaging app for that as well.

I believe that it will always show the message count no matter what you do. The crazy thing is that you really cannot shut the messaging program off. You are just shutting down the notifications. It would be nice to be able to turn the SMS/MMS part of it off and just leave the voicemail stuff on.

Basically you may use more battery up using Handcent since the messaging app and Handcent are doing double duty.

Both of you are partially correct - turning of the notification option as NKT stated only removes it from the notifications area at the top of the screen, not the message count on the icon. Removing the icon does essentially take care of this, but that means the application is still running in the background. Being new to the Android operating system I wonder if rooting the phone would allow me to completely disable that option. However, is Handcent using the base application to retrieve messages or is it self-contained - that would be the deciding factor for me?

You can manually refresh updates on the (larger) Friendstream widget by pressing on the bar at the bottom of the widget that shows the refresh icon and time.

I haven't seen anyone ask this or maybe I am just blind and missed it but I have turned off my animations but still everytime I unlock my phone I get the animation from the HTC weather widget. I would really like to stop that. Although it is cool it is a bit annoying at the same time and probably using up some needed battery power.

I haven't seen anyone ask this or maybe I am just blind and missed it but I have turned off my animations but still everytime I unlock my phone I get the animation from the HTC weather widget. I would really like to stop that. Although it is cool it is a bit annoying at the same time and probably using up some needed battery power.

Try Menu -> Settings -> Sound & display -> Animation.

So last night I fully charged my Incredible before I went to bed because I didn't want to leave it plugged in all night and when I woke up, it was dead! 100% depleted. It had worked fine for a good 8 hours of heavy use during the day. WTF happened? Anyone know what's going on or had a similar problem?

A few things can be going... Bad battery, charger not plug in properly, but still the depleting of the battery overnight has to mean something is draining it, and for some reason your charger was not working.

Try again and double check your steps, poor signal can drain your battery also.

You have to remove it from the screen, the add it again. After it asks about your location, it'll have an option to turn off full screen animations.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

You have to remove it from the screen, the add it again. After it asks about your location, it'll have an option to turn off full screen animations.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

Forgot about that option. I think this is the solution.

New to Android and want to thank everyone for there help. Could someone tell me if there is a way to assign a MP3 for individual contacts for notifications? I can set stock tones, but haven't been able to figure out how to use my own MP3's?

I don't know if there is a file size limitation on Android for ringtones - my LG Voyager had a 30 sec (max 350K byte) limit so that is the size of my custom ringtones. I connected the phone to my computer as a disk drive. Two volumes showed up; one for the phone internal memory and one for the SD card. On the internal memory drive is a folder called MP3. Under this folder I created a Ringtones folder and put my mp3 ringtones in there. Once I disconnected the phone from the computer, the rintones were automatically listed in the ringtone list. Works great with not problems to far!

As far as assigning individual ringtones, each app typically has a setup to assign ringtones. For example, under the stock messages app, set to view all messages, tap menu and go to setup and you'll find setting for both incoming and outgoing sounds

I don't know if there is another way or not BUT remove the clock on the home screen with the weather on it. Then re-choose it in your "widgets". when you select it again it will ask you a to a few settings. One of the settings is "Show full screen animation". Un-check that setting and you should be good.

Set up GVoice to handle your text msgs:

Go to people, pick a contact, and choose the "Send message" option for their mobile number. You should get a window that asks what service to use - GVoice or Messaging. There is a check box at the bottom to make it your default. Tap the check box, then choose GVoice. All your text message should use GVoice now, unless you send one from the Messaging app.

I don't think they're going to show up in the Messaging app, though. I just put my GVoice App on the Home Screen and removed the Messaging app.

A few things can be going... Bad battery, charger not plug in properly, but still the depleting of the battery overnight has to mean something is draining it, and for some reason your charger was not working.

Try again and double check your steps, poor signal can drain your battery also.
My phone was was 100% when I went to bed and I did not leave it plugged in over night. When I got up it was dead. I managed to charge it to ~60% before leaving and it hasn't gotten below 50% after 4hrs of little use.

I don't understand why it has worked fine during the day and died last night. I guess I'll just have to see what happens tonight.

I don't know if there is another way or not BUT remove the clock on the home screen with the weather on it. Then re-choose it in your "widgets". when you select it again it will ask you a to a few settings. One of the settings is "Show full screen animation". Un-check that setting and you should be good.

That worked! Thanks!

Q: Is there a way to hide offline contacts in the google talk app?

Anyone have any idea on the above?

I have another a few more as well:

Q: What is the best profile app/widget to set up different profiles, i.e. Night profile so only phone is going to work everything is is set to silent, etc...

Q: When I get a google talk message I get the top notification, and I added the talk app to the homescreen, but the talk app doesn't have an indicator that it has a message. Is the only way to find out where I have the message is through the notification bar at the top?

First day messing with the Inc and I've got a few questions:

1) I remember talking about this before, but,

I just installed OS Manager and I'm getting 150-180M of available memory with a few apps running. Is this consistant with everyone else? Also, what is /system? Is it the OS? What about /data? I see 765,992K total, but I thought we only had 512M ROM for apps?

~250M - OS
~200M - cache
~512M for app storage (the max now?)

= ~1G

But we have 512 ROM and the phone says 748MB Total space...

Is the OS and cache 8G internal memory?

2) My Radio has terrible reception, always fuzzy, no matter what station. Anyone else have this?

3) I've been trying to find a way to wake up (not unlock) the phone with the trackpad button. Tried Lock 2.0, Lockbot, ICE, No Lock, etc., but all of them I tried only worked ~50% of the time. Anyone else find anything?

So here we are with our new phones in hand. Please post any tips, tricks or AH-HA's you discover you think others will appreciate...

rsjet
THIS IS INCORRECT! That small checkmark is for whether to vibrate in ADDITION to ringing. I just tried it right now. The checkmark next to vibrate was checked and it still rang.

Hit the menu key when you are on the Alarm clock slide and you will see an option to change ringer volume and whether to play alarm if in silent mode. You probably had one of these off and thats why it did not work for you.

You can also select "Alarm Sound" when you are setting an alarm and use the volume bar to adjust it in there.

Buckwild
But holding down the Home button, a pop-up will show you all of your current applications that are open. Click on the app to jump to it.

I don't believe this is correct. Holding down the Home button shows you the last 6 programs you used, not which programs are open.

Back
Top Bottom