• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Incredible Tips and Tricks

This more of a Windows tip and PC nerds might think its a bit obvious, but...

When you plug-in the phone to a PC and set it to disk drive, you can rename the 2 drives and it will stay when you reconnect it again. (The microsd card will have to be renamed for each card)

I named mine DI INTERNAL and DI SD just to tell the difference without remembering the drive letter.

How to remove a contact from the Favorites widget.

Accidentally added a person to your Favorites widget?

Go to People> Groups. Long press on Favorites>Edit group. Press the 'X' to remove the person from favorites.

This can work with other groups as well.

What file manager app do u recommend? I tried astro and could not figure out how to move the picture over.

i am using astro too...highlight the photo you want to move and then select move and navigate to the folder you want to place it

i am using astro too...highlight the photo you want to move and then select move and navigate to the folder you want to place it

can't seem to move files/video/photos to SD-Card, and can someone explain step by step how to move something from storage to SD-card, not a brief summary.

ok...here are my dumb questions (i'm new to smartphones so please bear with me), is there an app for the radio that you can listen to without having a headset connected? (that would play through the speaker phone?). I downloaded handcet for texting and like it alot. However, is there a way to get the phone to quit telling me that I have messages on the preinstalled messagining wiget as well as in the top left corner of the phone - neither will go away unless i open the widget that was preinstalled on the phone. Also, does anyone have the song tomorrow for the musical annie that would be willing to make me a loud ringtone with it? I have always used that for my mothers ringtone yet I lost the song when my computer crashed a while back and i can't find it anywhere on the apps available. (i'm sure its not a highly sought after tone! but my mom took me to see that when I was just a kid and i got to meet the girl playing annie) Thanks to anyone who helps me with my dumb questions....i'm sure i will have more but i have had this phone since wed and still really have no clue whatsoever as to what i am doing on it. its such a learning curve and a challenge but i do love the phone!!

ok...here are my dumb questions (i'm new to smartphones so please bear with me), is there an app for the radio that you can listen to without having a headset connected? (that would play through the speaker phone?). I downloaded handcet for texting and like it alot. However, is there a way to get the phone to quit telling me that I have messages on the preinstalled messagining wiget as well as in the top left corner of the phone - neither will go away unless i open the widget that was preinstalled on the phone. Also, does anyone have the song tomorrow for the musical annie that would be willing to make me a loud ringtone with it? I have always used that for my mothers ringtone yet I lost the song when my computer crashed a while back and i can't find it anywhere on the apps available. (i'm sure its not a highly sought after tone! but my mom took me to see that when I was just a kid and i got to meet the girl playing annie) Thanks to anyone who helps me with my dumb questions....i'm sure i will have more but i have had this phone since wed and still really have no clue whatsoever as to what i am doing on it. its such a learning curve and a challenge but i do love the phone!!

1. I believe even with the headset in you can turn on the speaker you just need headphones in still.
2. Go into messaging on the phone then go into settings. you can turn off notifications in there.
3. Sorry i dont

You don't really have to have headphones plugged in to listen to FM radio. You just have to have something plugged in. If you connect your 3.5mm jack to your car stereo's aux jack or to a set of powered speakers with a 3.5mm to 3.5mm stereo cable, for instance, you can listen to the fm radio. The cable will act as an fm antenna.

Is there a way to put pictures in a seperate file or have a password protect file. I get some pics that I don;t want anyone to see while scrolling through pics. My blackberry would same them in a seperate file. It there is a away to save photos some where else please post how to do it. thanks

I asked this question separately, but I figured I'd post here to see if I'd get a response.

Is there anyway to use double touch under the Phone list to dial a contact? It's so touch sensitive that even scrolling through the list, I accidentally called an old Facebook contact.

I just figured out that if you tap for focus with the camera and hold the tap for a couple seconds, it takes the picture without having to press the optical mouse button. Much better stability this way. It's even less prone to camera shake than the double tap method on the iPhone.

Btw, I just registered on this forum on and am posting from my new Incredible :).

Hi, I followed the instructions in the user guide to transfer files to the SD card. In my case it's 15 gb of mp3 using a 16gb Class 6 sd card.

After transferring (which went flawlessly from the PC's perspective) I opened up the Music App and only the original 9 songs which came installed on the phone were there- where are the 3700 that I transferred?

Furthermore, the SD card shows up as empty on AstroManager, but shows up on my PC with all the files installed.

How do I access my SD card to get the files into the Music App?

Update: I re-booted and they were all there. Problem solved!!

I appreciate anyone's help to figure out what I'm doing wrong.....

Update: I re-booted and they were all there. Problem solved!! This music player still sucks, it's totally unresponsive and incredibly slow. Anybody having any luck with other music players?

Hi, I followed the instructions in the user guide to transfer files to the SD card. In my case it's 15 gb of mp3 using a 16gb Class 6 sd card.

After transferring (which went flawlessly from the PC's perspective) I opened up the Music App and only the original 9 songs which came installed on the phone were there- where are the 3700 that I transferred?

Furthermore, the SD card shows up as empty on AstroManager, but shows up on my PC with all the files installed.

How do I access my SD card to get the files into the Music App?

I appreciate anyone's help to figure out what I'm doing wrong.....
You might want to format the SD card via the phone. It'll erase everything on the phone, but everything should be recognizable once you transfer it back to the SD card.

If anyone's having issues with their phone not accurately or slowly switch back and forth between LANDSCAPE and PORTRAIT mode you may want to try this:

Go to: Menu -> Settings -> Sound & Display -> G-sensor Calibration (all the way at the bottom)

Calibrating the sensor on a flat surface should help :)

The only way I could figure out to remove my synced Facebook friends from my phone (particularly from the phone dialer) was to remove the Facebook account, then add it again. However, after you enter your username and password, be sure to cancel the sync before it completes. Then you can go into the Facebook setting and uncheck sync contacts, and they won't show up in your dialer.

There must be an easier way to do this, but this finally worked for me.
I have been trying to figure this out for two days! Thank you so much!!! It worked!

Was watching a youtube video last night in the dark and the home keys stayed on. They were so bright it was hard to watch the video. Any ideas how to dim or shut them off?

Update: I re-booted and they were all there. Problem solved!! This music player still sucks, it's totally unresponsive and incredibly slow. Anybody having any luck with other music players?

I just downloaded Meridian Pioneer today. Seems decent so far.

New to Android and want to thank everyone for there help. Could someone tell me if there is a way to assign a MP3 for individual contacts for notifications? I can set stock tones, but haven't been able to figure out how to use my own MP3's?

This may have been answered.

But must hook USB cable to a windows computer and have the setting for USB as disk drive on the Incredible.

Then copy your song (even full length ones work) in my case i do mp3 files. Just bring up the file manager. You meed to create two folders "ringtones" and "notifications" under the MP3 directory on the phones drive that you will see (not the sdcard). So my sdcard is mounted as M: and the Phone memory as N: so find your files to copy on your PC or maybe on the sdcard directories and copy them into N:\MP3\ringtones or N:\MP3\notifications or whatever your phone memory mounts as in place of my N:

Once you do this and paste them in there they are accessible as soon as you unplug from the USB cable. You might hear some peep peep peeps when you do that.

Then you can use them for default ringtons or notifications MENU-SETTINGS-Sound&Display-Phone ringtones or Notification Sound (the new songs(ringtones) will show up now)

Or go to Your peope contacts- select a person, scroll to the bottom and select Ringtone and find your new song ringtine. it will be alphabetical.

Do the same for any notfications wereever you can set notification sounds. default one is here MENU-SETTINGS-Sound&Display-Phone Notification Sound .

Then copy your files

I asked this question separately, but I figured I'd post here to see if I'd get a response.

Is there anyway to use double touch under the Phone list to dial a contact? It's so touch sensitive that even scrolling through the list, I accidentally called an old Facebook contact.

Do not use the screen for scrolling when you are in contacts or in the Phone list. Use the Optical Joystick or do search for the name/number.

The joystick will not call unless you push in on it.

Another use for the optical joystick!

I want to know if there is a way to make my phone continue to notify (ring)
when I get a text message if i don't look at the message.
I am a physician and on call at night the one sound does not always wake me.

I want to know if there is a way to make my phone continue to notify (ring)
when I get a text message if i don't look at the message.
I am a physician and on call at night the one sound does not always wake me.

In my recollection, I believe there is no option within the system for that...although there is an app for that. I think the name is missed reminder (search for it in the market).

Oh and you can also use handcent. Using it now and it replaces the stock htc message app. Handcent has an option where you can set reminders for missed messages

Back
Top Bottom