• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help it was bound to happen: low memory warning!

this is why you do not need a task killer. the OS knows how much memory it needs to run the apps you already have. this is a perfect example.

now you may be able to "fool" the OS by force closing some apps that are sitting in RAM. this will increase your "bucket" of memory which may let you install an app, but remember if you do these types of things you will only cause issues down the road.. lagg, error messages, etc.(because you are fooling the OS in thinking you have given it additional memory which in fact you did.. you only force closed).

best to either uninstall an app or two you dont really use.. im sure you have one or two that gets used RARELY if at all.. ROOT and then you can move apps to SD.. or wait for 2.2....

im rooted
how can i move apps to SD?
and i have the factory card that came with the phone. is that class 2? fast enough?

Upvote 0
this is why you do not need a task killer. the OS knows how much memory it needs to run the apps you already have. this is a perfect example.

now you may be able to "fool" the OS by force closing some apps that are sitting in RAM. this will increase your "bucket" of memory which may let you install an app, but remember if you do these types of things you will only cause issues down the road.. lagg, error messages, etc.(because you are fooling the OS in thinking you have given it additional memory which in fact you did.. you only force closed).

best to either uninstall an app or two you dont really use.. im sure you have one or two that gets used RARELY if at all.. ROOT and then you can move apps to SD.. or wait for 2.2....

Uh, what? All of this is incorrect.

The ROM area where apps are installed is not related to the RAM area where apps run/cache. Task Killer will free up RAM, not ROM. You will not be able to install more apps to that area by just killing them from running.

Upvote 0
I just counted... I have 110 apps. I didn't think it was that many though, now I see people making fun of people for having 73 apps. But my phone is still running fine so what's the problem?

The problem is you don't have enough apps.

I recommend ChaCha Droid - seriously.

And if you don't have the Rotary Dialer - it's just not even a phone.

And only an idiot would walk around unstrapped - meaning - no Tricorder.

But - don't take my advice, I'm only walking around with a paltry 105.

Upvote 0
took me 4 months to do it. what got me there was the yahoo messenger videochat add-on which takes up around 23 megs of internal memory :O had to do some pruning of my apps. When I looked at internal storage, I had about 35 megs left.

That's one of the weaknesses of Android compared with other phone OS's. Unless you root, even moving apps to SD card still keeps data on the internal memory, so you run out of room pretty quickly.

Upvote 0
Cool story bro!

Also, watch your thread, mods are gonna move it to tips and tricks or support and troubleshooting.

thanks broseph! fistbump! JAGERBOMBS!

Babbit, I was under the impression that the native apps2sd in froyo worked the same as the older apps2sd for rooted users...as in it only stores around half the app on the sd card. Is that not accurate?

Other android phones (incredible, etc) have a ton more internal memory than Evo but I dont know if thats just storage for sideloaded files or able to be used for system storage like apps

Upvote 0
took me 4 months to do it. what got me there was the yahoo messenger videochat add-on which takes up around 23 megs of internal memory :O had to do some pruning of my apps. When I looked at internal storage, I had about 35 megs left.

Did you happen to also install the latest HTC widgets that are now available? I did and noticed Dice and I believe 'coin flip' by themselves took up almost 36mb!! Uninstalled, was down to 69mb now back up over 100mb.

Upvote 0
That's one of the weaknesses of Android compared with other phone OS's. Unless you root, even moving apps to SD card still keeps data on the internal memory, so you run out of room pretty quickly.

When rooting, what happens: do you simply have access to MORE than the allotted memory for installing apps on the stock/unrooted phone OR are you talking about RECLAIMED memory from deleting the Sprint CrAPPs like Nascar, Football, etc.??

One of the ONLY things that is a disappointment with this phone is the available memory to install apps :(

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones