• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [MetroPCS/CDMA] [HOWTO][ROOT]Automatic Root for SGSIII

tiede

Android Expert
Disclaimer: it's been brought to my attention that this method may fail with the new updated rom from metro. If you have the newest version of the metro sgs3, I strongly suggest you look elsewhere first. This post will remain here, however, for posterity.

When I find some time, I'll try to update the instructions to cover this new case. Life is just a little demanding on me at the moment. Sorry folks!

Seeing as some users are reporting unexpected and quite unfortunate results randomly with the Snapdragon Toolkit for SGSIII when they attempt to root the device, and since there is no clear guide as of now for it's use, the following method will provide an automatic root for your metroPCS SGSIII.

I did not create this Root method, it's merely the one originally created to deal with the Verizon SGSIII, which rooting proved problematic in that when a new ROM is flashed, a certain counter was increased at boot which meant you could not truly root-unroot ad lib, without leaving any traces. (This problem is not relevant anymore, as a program to circumvent it, called Triangle Away was created).
Anywho, that's why XDA developer's Noxious Ninja came up with an alternative (simple) rooting method for the Galaxy S3 without needing ODIN.

Just a friendly reminder that rooting your device (for all intents and purposes) voids your warranty while the phone remains rooted.

If you are comfortable with that, and understand that while this has been tested quite a few times, nobody (but you) can be held responsible for any adverse effect this process may have on your phone, car, house, garage, sick puppies, life, or bank account, then you may proceed down below for the goodies.
Otherwise, I gently and kindly ask you to GTFO! :)

This method is new and unique mainly because it does not involve flashing a pre-rooted system.img. This was a trick original used on the Asus TF300T that worked but was ported to various other devices, including the SGS3.

In order to download the rooting tool kits, just follow this link: http://goo.gl/HOrSC
Notice that you will need a program that can unzip 7z zipped files to continue.
In the unlikely event that you do not have such a program, you may download it from here: 7-Zip if you are on windows, or get it from your Software Center/App Store/Synaptic if you are on linux or Mac - just search for 7-zip.

WINDOWS ONLY:While you are busy downloading away, if you do not yet have the samsung drivers for your phone installed on your PC, you may get them from Samsung's own servers here: http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/c...ss_I535_GSIII_Samsung_USB_Driver_v1_4_6_0.exe

Enable unknown sources, and USB debugging on your phone.
(Go to Settings → Security and lock screen → Tick on Unknown sources
Then, Settings → Developer options → Tick on USB debugging)

If you have PdaNet running or any Android emulator running on PC (unlikely) please exit/disable them. Also, if you have any Android devices connected to your computer at this time, please unplug them, or all hell shall break loose.

Now, you may plug your phone into a USB port on your PC. If you are on Windows, and the system failed to recognize your phone, sorry... you will need to disconnect the phone, reboot the computer and try again. It's a windows thing. Sometimes, drivers just don't work at first try. Can't help you there, aside from telling you to consider getting linux running on your rig.

If you are on windows, double-click RootDebugfs.bat.
If you are on mac or linux, you need to use RootDebugfs.sh

You will get instructions on the screen. They should be quite explanatory. If you need my help with that menu, then you should definitely not be rooting your phone! Not kidding.
After you make the right choices (hopefully), the phone will reboot about 4 times. Do NOT unplug the phone at any time during this process
Patiently wait while the root process finishes. The terminal will let you know if anything went wrong/awry, or more than likely, confirm that you are now rooted.

For the video folks, here's a really good one that does the job. Kudos to the creator. Looks great!
Here is a step by step Video tutorial.... on how to root The Samsung Galaxy S3 [Metro PCS]
http://youtu.be/cRt1MqiXsSI

Smile and be merry.

DO NOT USE THIS TO ROOT if you are on the newest metro rom!
Simpler version of instructions:
1. Download root exploit script zip and unzip it
2. Download and install drivers on windows
3. Setup phone environment (enable unknown sources and usb debugging)
4. Open the DebugFSroot folder and click on RootDebugfs.bat (windows) or RootDebugfs.sh (linux/mac)
5.Follow prompt
6.Done

The file is too big when I tar it all up.
I do have them, but I don't have a place that will host it for me...

The best I can do is put it up on adrive.com, and then hope someone else privately mirrors it for me, since ADrive.com only keeps files for 14 days...
If you know someone who doesn't mind hosting the 2Gb file, let me know (PM or here) and I'll start the upload process.

The best I can do is put it up on adrive.com, and then hope someone else privately mirrors it for me, since ADrive.com only keeps files for 14 days...
If you know someone who doesn't mind hosting the 2Gb file, let me know (PM or here) and I'll start the upload process.

This why I don't understand why people frown on torrents so much. It will serve here the purpose of which it was meant.

upload it, i have shabbypenguin.com where i put all my files and i know of a few others that could mirror if need be :P

This why I don't understand why people frown on torrents so much. It will serve here the purpose of which it was meant.

the problem with torrents is teh file is only downloadable so long as someone else has it and is seeding. if he wants to make it into a torrent so i can download it and then upload it to sp.com thats fine as well

why not use winrar and use the split option ? How To Split A Large File Into Several Small Files Using WinRar And HJSplit And How To Merge Them Back

running out of time. Gotta head out to work.
Will upload once I get back home...
It took over an hour to upload last time, so I don't wanna start only to have to stop...
The saga shall continue later.
In other news, i just received 48gb complimentary of space from dropbox (YEAH BABY!!!) so looks like I'll be able to host it, after all :D

upload it to dropbox now that u have 48 gb but you will have to install the uploader since its a huge file but once uploaded just share link or try google drive we get like 5gb of free space and i dont think theres any upload file size limit and they do have create share link function so its all good.

Some people (me, for one) want to remain on stock recovery for the time being... So, this is our best option.
Until the STOCK non-root image is uploaded and confirmed working on someone else's phone besides mine, i'm stuck with stock! ;)

Some people (me, for one) want to remain on stock recovery for the time being... So, this is our best option.
Until the STOCK non-root image is uploaded and confirmed working on someone else's phone besides mine, i'm stuck with stock! ;)
whats the point of a stock non-root image besides to fix a brick?

lol tiede so u finally got the gs3 bud? :D

Yeah, I actually got it on Sunday, after scurrying away from one store a store that tried to make me change plans...
Went to a another one (thanks to a tip by a fellow AF member - man, I ♥ AF) and got it done without them touching my account. :five:

or if you need to return the device to a m> store and they see custom recovery while troubleshooting it. Banm. No warranty exchange for you!

Almost happened to me with my old trusty "Galaxy" indulge. It had a radio hardware problem, and the guy at the corp location actually rebooted in recovery and tried a factory reset to see if that would fix it. (of course it didn't)
Can you imagine if when he rebooted in recovery, it loaded up CWM? They already were reluctant to process the exchange, because that was when a LOT of returns where happening with that phone. They'd have kicked me out of the store :D

Yeah, I actually got it on Sunday, after scurrying away from one store a store that tried to make me change plans...
Went to a another one (thanks to a tip by a fellow AF member - man, I ♥ AF) and got it done without them touching my account. :five:

lol one tried to charge me $575 and i looked at him and said dude do u know whom i am if any of ya go to howard forums or android forums ya would know im well informed what im suppose to be paying for this he was like well thats what we charging and i said no its $499 plus 7% tax which brings it to $735 plus the lame $15 upgrade fee ya charge so $545 should be my total lol he started playing with calculator and was like ok $550 and i was like ok u know what since no one around in my area has it yet ill let u have $5 or either that ill be driving all over town wasting gas money. so was worth it since he only got two and i got first dibz, after that he sold out.

Back
Top Bottom