• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

moto 360: now or later (thinking out loud)

The LCD not (AM)OLED screen is making me think twice, presumably had they gone the OLED battery life and viewability would have been better.

Really looking forward to what Chief has to say about battery life. I'm getting a little concerned with all these negative reviews. Batteries don't get stronger with time (after lots of time, I mean) so what lasts only 18 hours today might be 16 in six months or a year.

I got one. I had to drive to Lancaster, PA to get it. They received 4 and I just missed on all black. The silver is actually not bad but I don't like the gray band.

Just picked up my 360 from Best Buy. Got in the car and of course, like any tech addict I popped the seals on the box and booted her up. Worked just fine until after I paired it with my Gnote3 and at that point, it just turned off and will NOT turn back on. Moto says to charge it for an hour and call them back but its been about that, and I keep mashing the button for 30 seconds at a time and nothing going.

Its dead Jim.

It also happened to be the last one in stock in my entire state according to the lady at Best Buy so I can't just go exchange it.

Anyone else have the same fate as me?

So after leaving it on the charger most of the day. Holding the button down didn't do squat. But getting really frustrated and mashing the button repeatedly made it wake up.

I got mine in the mail today. I will say that I was scared because of all the talk of the crappy battery life. I charged it up to 94% at 3pm and came back home at 11pm to 74% now I do not do Facebook or Twitter so the only notifications were texts and calls. I checked the time constantly and I gotta say I don't think the battery consumption wasn't all that bad. This is my first smartwatch so I'm getting used to having to charge a watch being that I used a G Shock solar powered one. But it's growing on me.

set the brightness from 'auto' to '1' and set it so that the display does not stay on all the time. this will give you a full day with moderate normal usage. otherwise, get an extra charger, leave it at work. charge it in the morning and charge it an hour before you leave work. charing is very quick.

set the brightness from 'auto' to '1' and set it so that the display does not stay on all the time. this will give you a full day with moderate normal usage. otherwise, get an extra charger, leave it at work. charge it in the morning and charge it an hour before you leave work. charing is very quick.

This is my theory. You like the device, manage it. My Galaxy Nexus was brutal on battery, especially when it was getting close to the end of its life cycle. But I loved the phone, so I managed it and kept a charger close by.

Well I'm glad I found this thread... I just bought one and I cannot get it to even power on. It completely dead. So I have it on the charger right now, but the charge light isn't on. Possibly normal because it's not powered on? I'll check it again in 20 minutes and see if I can get anything from it.

Edit: I just put it on my Nokia charger and the charge light illuminated. So it seems something is getting through. I'll try to power it back on in a bit.

Edit 2: WHEW!!! It just needed to charge a bit. It's all good.

I agree with Outatime. You gotta make it work. If you need a second charger to make it work than that's not too bad if it's for a device you love.

I have been wearing this watch for a week now and I have like 20% at least left at the end of the day, with the exception of the first day and the 3rd day it did an update. The update I just charged it twice so I didn't have an accurate full test day.

If you constantly have the screen on I don't think it will make it. I like mine to turn off anyway so its no big deal for me. The processor it has is NOT good for the low light (aka ambient screen) mode. If having an ambient screen always on kind of thing is what you want then I would suggest you wait for a different watch or go with the LG or Samsung if you don't mind that square face :/

Any other questions... please let me know!

This battery discussion is on the line of almost stupidity. I'll say this for the last time. Unless you plan to answer every damn text message with a voice response the battery will last an entire day and then some. Nobody talks into their watch 24/7 because you'll look like a douchebag in public. There is nothing wrong with the battery. This smartwatch compliments a phone exceptionally well. It's not meant to replace your phone but you are missing out if you are crying about having to charge it at night. We all charge our phones at night and some people even charge their cars. Get a grip.

I don't know about anyone else but it feels like a watch and I'm not staring at it all damn day either. I'm accustomed to wearing a watch everyday as a flyer. If I feel a text come in on my watch, I check the watch and either respond or I don't. When it tells me what song is playing from my phone in my truck while driving I notice it and I keep on driving.

Just buy the watch or don't buy it. If you don't then you'll miss out and the rest of us will keep enjoying the watch! If you need to play with it all day long take the charging stand and charge it at work or in your vehicle while driving to/from work. I was able to leave the house with 83% at 0830 yesterday. I got home around 1845 with 8 percent remaining. I beat the hell out of that watch yesterday and it withstood my beat down.

This battery discussion is on the line of almost stupidity. I'll say this for the last time. Unless you plan to answer every damn text message with a voice response the battery will last an entire day and then some. Nobody talks into their watch 24/7 because you'll look like a douchebag in public. There is nothing wrong with the battery. This smartwatch compliments a phone exceptionally well. It's not meant to replace your phone but you are missing out if you are crying about having to charge it at night. We all charge our phones at night and some people even charge their cars. Get a grip.

I don't know about anyone else but it feels like a watch and I'm not staring at it all damn day either. I'm accustomed to wearing a watch everyday as a flyer. If I feel a text come in on my watch, I check the watch and either respond or I don't. When it tells me what song is playing from my phone in my truck while driving I notice it and I keep on driving.

Just buy the watch or don't buy it. If you don't then you'll miss out and the rest of us will keep enjoying the watch! If you need to play with it all day long take the charging stand and charge it at work or in your vehicle while driving to/from work. I was able to leave the house with 83% at 0830 yesterday. I got home around 1845 with 8 percent remaining. I beat the hell out of that watch yesterday and it withstood my beat down.

You okay, guy?

With a longevity of just a day, it looks like the Moto 360 will go through over 300 charge cycles in about a year. From the teardown data, it appears the battery isn't meant to be replaceable. Or am I wrong?

I haven't come across data specifying how many charge cycles the watch battery is rated at so I'm assuming that at roughly 300 cycles, it will only be able to hold less than 70% of its original charge, meaning the watch can't last a day after about a year. Has Motorola advised if they will replace the battery as a paid service? If not, then the Moto 360 usability is pretty much dead after about a year.

I own a Qualcomm Toq and two Cookoo watches. The Toq lasts me about a week if I turn it off every night. That means it will take about 6 years before I reach the 300 cycle mark. The Cookoo watch uses standard watch batteries, so no problem there.

Nevertheless, my Moto 360 will be on my wrist in about two weeks. It has shipped today.

Yeah, I just couldn't resist.

You're probably right, and I know this is wishful thinking, but I hope not. I accept that every two years I plop down $250-$300 on a new phone. I really don't want to drop another $250-$300 on the off year on a watch.

It's disposable. At this price point, at least.

Apart from the fact that the battery will only last so long, I've already found myself mildly frustrated with lag and unresponsiveness, likely caused by an older processor. In a year or two someone will come out with something nicer, newer, and faster, and I'll happily go and buy that. At less than a dollar a day I'm ok buying a new watch every year, so long as I save up for it over the course of a year.

Additionally, I'm hard on watches. They get scratched. They get dented. They get beat up. Another reason to consider it disposable.

Motorola should give us all discounts as early followers/adopters of the watch.

Why?

It's not like they're having trouble selling the watches. While it'd be a great gesture, and I would personally love that, it doesn't make great business sense at this point in time.

Nothing like a nice cup of afternoon entitlement. :rolleyes:

My take on tech nowadays is that, nothing really lasts past 2 years. That's even looking at general consumers, not tech fanatics (like us) that are early adopters and are always looking for the latest and greatest in tech.

That said, I'm very curious to see what battery life will be like in a year or two. Funny thing is, I'm happy to get a different watch, if it lives up to what the Moto 360 already brings to the table. There's already one thing I see Motorola changing, and it's getting rid of that ambient sensor. While it was a good idea, the execution is actually awful. If that thing is activated, the battery life gets worse than it has already been reported to be, without it on (for me, the battery life is decent, but actually doesn't even last as long as my original Galaxy Gear).

For that reason alone, I could see myself getting a new smartwatch within a year. The 360 is the first smartwatch I purchased for full retail price. I waited for sales on the two Galaxy Gears I owned, prior to purchasing them and eventually selling them recently.

Now that the initial wave has passed, for the first round of smartwatches, I'm actually looking forward to seeing what manufacturers do to improve on it.

One thing that without a doubt sets Motorola apart is the Qi wireless charging. To me, that's the one thing that Motorola absolutely nailed, compared to the rest.

Back
Top Bottom