• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root No Red Exclamation Mark Shown When Installing Custom ROM!

OhShizzl3

Jan 5, 2011
Okay, Hi :)

I just rooted my Desire a couple of days ago using the Unrevoked method which was all straight forward and I assume I done it correctly as the SuperUser Ninja thingy is on my apps list.
The problem is that whenever I try to install a custom ROM on my desire I go through all the steps correctly but when in recovery mode no "red exclamation mark" as ever shown on my device and it goes straight to Clockwork Recovery Mode.
This has happened a couple of times and I have still tried to open the "recovery-windows" file in my C: Drive but this just makes the phone show two different screens which keeps changing with each other. I still tried to install the ROM by using the ClockWork Recovery Mode by wiping the data then the cache then installing it and rebooting it but this made my HTC reload with a black screen with white lines on either side. So then I restored the backup I made and got it back to how it was when I first rooted it but I really want to know what the problem is (if there is one) or if I'm being a complete noob! :thinking:

I'm sorry if I am but everytime I look at a tutorial or a video on YouTube describing this, everyone receives the red exclamation mark whilst I receive a totally different screen.

Thanks for reading and I hope I haven't wasted your time :)

Lol, I think I am :p
I did carry on with the ClockWork Recovery Mode screen and flashed a Modaco ROM (if link is needed I will find it)
I kinda just wanna check if this other ROM I found will work because I don't wanna wipe my phone just to return it to its original state

ROM - [ROM][newSense][04/01]DHD Rom Port by baadnwz v1.7b STABLE|SUPER FAST|1.72 Base - xda-developers

And as I believe I am a complete noob how would I get Apps2SD working when downloading it within a ROM?

Thanks again :)

Upvote 0
Hey thanks for that but now when I was flashing the ROM it comes up with

"E: Can't mount /dev/block/mmcblk0p2 (File exists)
E: Can't mount SDEXT:
E: Failure at line 10:
copy_dir PACKAGE: data SDEXT:
Installation aborted." :thinking:

I have found some forums which say that they had to re-root their phones but when doing so they bricked their phones.
Is there any other way around this

Thanks for any advice

Upvote 0
Hey thanks for that but now when I was flashing the ROM it comes up with

"E: Can't mount /dev/block/mmcblk0p2 (File exists)
E: Can't mount SDEXT:
E: Failure at line 10:
copy_dir PACKAGE: data SDEXT:
Installation aborted." :thinking:

I have found some forums which say that they had to re-root their phones but when doing so they bricked their phones.
Is there any other way around this

Thanks for any advice

Have you partitioned your card yet? If so, looks like it didn't work..what method did you use?

Reactions: OhShizzl3
Upvote 0
Someroms come with it bundled in, in which case, they may not boot without a partition.

However, you can modify the rom zip file to remove the apps2sd+ script.

to do this, just open the zip (not extract it) in say, winrar

Navigate to System/etc/init.d and delete the appropriate file before flashing

Aurax uses 03stuff2sd
MIUI uses 04apps2sd
Oxygen uses 10apps2sd
Defrost & Leedroid uses40a2sd

(courtesey of iinga)

Reactions: shauny13
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones