• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Odin Image File Creator 4.0

Koumajutsu

Android Expert
Koumajutsu here,

Originally posted in the Odin thread, here is my tool for extracting the files on your currently operational phone into a format that allows you to use Odin to put your phone back to the way it was. Essentially, a backup of pretty much everything in your phone.

REQUIREMENTS:

720KB free in /system
USB Debugging enabled
700MB free on your SDcard.
If backing up SD-ext, you will need the size of your SD-Ext partition in free space on your sdcard.
ClockWorkMod Recovery or other root enabled recovery

Just extract the zip file to a directory and run the enclosed batch file

Change Log:

3.6: Fixed a cosmetic typo. Changed command path due to TWRP not setting the command path correctly
3.5: Added some choices for backing up. Added SD-ext backup for /data mode users. Updated requirements section
3.0: Restructured process. Reduced free space requirement. Increased compatibility. Improved speed
2.1: Removed Cache extraction
2.0: Resolved issue regarding filesystem access during backup process
1.5: Small update, changed source dev paths to ones that are always there regardless of init scripts
1.0: initial release

prevail_odin_packer_win_4.0.zip

In case anyone feels so inclined:

Koumajutsu, first of all...thank you for your work. I am using Hroark13's hroarkernel_1_2_cwm_rev4 on my phone and the odin packer worked just fine. However on my wifes phone, which is pure stock, it didnt work. So i tried just using KMS to get root, and tried again, and again it failed. I was hoping to get the stock as it was odin, before any meddling on my part with her phone. What are the mimimum requirements for using this packer? When you get the time...thanx.

Here is the cmd window text:

copying device images
mibib
/dev/block/bml1: cannot open for read: Permission denied
qcsbl
/dev/block/bml2: cannot open for read: Permission denied
oemsbl
/dev/block/bml3: cannot open for read: Permission denied
amss
/dev/block/bml4: cannot open for read: Permission denied
arm11boot
/dev/block/bml8: cannot open for read: Permission denied
boot.img
/dev/block/bml9: cannot open for read: Permission denied
recovery.img
/dev/block/bml10: cannot open for read: Permission denied
system.rfs
/dev/block/bml12: cannot open for read: Permission denied
data.rfs
/dev/block/bml13: cannot open for read: Permission denied

(I apologize for any typing errors as i had to type this in by hand(not enough posts for pics & not sure how else to capture cmd text)...there was more...but just about not being able to pack tars with files that didnt exist.) Also, I used the 1.5 version.

Koumajutsu, first of all...thank you for your work. I am using Hroark13's hroarkernel_1_2_cwm_rev4 on my phone and the odin packer worked just fine. However on my wifes phone, which is pure stock, it didnt work. So i tried just using KMS to get root, and tried again, and again it failed. I was hoping to get the stock as it was odin, before any meddling on my part with her phone. What are the mimimum requirements for using this packer? When you get the time...thanx.

Here is the cmd window text:

copying device images
mibib
/dev/block/bml1: cannot open for read: Permission denied
qcsbl
/dev/block/bml2: cannot open for read: Permission denied
oemsbl
/dev/block/bml3: cannot open for read: Permission denied
amss
/dev/block/bml4: cannot open for read: Permission denied
arm11boot
/dev/block/bml8: cannot open for read: Permission denied
boot.img
/dev/block/bml9: cannot open for read: Permission denied
recovery.img
/dev/block/bml10: cannot open for read: Permission denied
system.rfs
/dev/block/bml12: cannot open for read: Permission denied
data.rfs
/dev/block/bml13: cannot open for read: Permission denied

(I apologize for any typing errors as i had to type this in by hand(not enough posts for pics & not sure how else to capture cmd text)...there was more...but just about not being able to pack tars with files that didnt exist.) Also, I used the 1.5 version.

You do need to have root. If you look through the One Click Root thread, (this post specifically http://androidforums.com/galaxy-prevail-all-things-root/346918-one-click-root-10.html#post3323450 ) you'll find a version of OCR that's known to work. Give that a try on your wife's phone. Alternatively, you could just get the pure stock from Hroark's Odin thread, it's a perfect image of the phone like it came out of the box brand new. It's what I use as a start point to try to reproduce any problems someone's having

:confused:could this be used for the straighttalk precedent?

I would not see why not being that its the same phone

In theory, it should work. As long as you're rooted. I would suggest opening the tars afterward and making sure none of the files are 0 bytes.

There's not much risk in running the script itself, but the files it outputs could either be a rooted stock odin image for the precedent, or it could brick the precedent. I'm not an expert, I just play one on the internet :)

In theory, it should work. As long as you're rooted. I would suggest opening the tars afterward and making sure none of the files are 0 bytes.

There's not much risk in running the script itself, but the files it outputs could either be a rooted stock odin image for the precedent, or it could brick the precedent. I'm not an expert, I just play one on the internet :)
MEGAUPLOAD - The leading online storage and file delivery service
I also have the precedent. I used ODIN multidownload and all the .ops file, the phone.tar and the pda.tar to root.
:D
http://androidforums.com/samsung-galaxy-prevail/405240-samsung-galaxy-precedent.html
Im not good at hyper linking but this is where i found the download package.

I also have the precedent. I used ODIN multidownload and all the .ops file, the phone.tar and the pda.tar to root.
:D
Samsung Galaxy Precedent
Im not good at hyper linking but this is where i found the download package.
MEGAUPLOAD - The leading online storage and file delivery service was also a link on the page.

(I rooted my precedent and tried to update super user... don't try it, it makes you lose superuser... still trying to get it back...)

P.S. If anyone knows how to unroot/reroot the precedent please comment.

kouma the reason why its failing is not everyone runs a custom kernel, which means ro.secure is set to 1 (adb shell is by default not set to #) in order for this to work out properly youd need to have an exploit run first to get elevated permissions then after its in a rooted shell run these commands :)

kouma the reason why its failing is not everyone runs a custom kernel, which means ro.secure is set to 1 (adb shell is by default not set to #) in order for this to work out properly youd need to have an exploit run first to get elevated permissions then after its in a rooted shell run these commands :)

Thanks Shabbs, I'm noticing that myself with the release of the official gingerbread.

Do you think I should incorporate an exploit? I considered also making changes so that it all happens as a shell script phone side. I'm guessing that a combination of 'sploit + .sh should make things more reliable

yea i also tried this.

its pretty cool, & made easy for users to run, but i also kept getting permission errors & had 2 do it manually..

doesnt seem to load the adb commands correctly & fails when the files started to copy/transfer.

hope this gets fixed. it def makes things alot simpler.

Thanks Shabbs, I'm noticing that myself with the release of the official gingerbread.

Do you think I should incorporate an exploit? I considered also making changes so that it all happens as a shell script phone side. I'm guessing that a combination of 'sploit + .sh should make things more reliable
I made a kernel using your info that has su, and init.d it is flashable using cwm

http://localserver.no-ip.biz/Public/gbversion Koumakrnlcwm (mymod).zip

this is my home server if someone wants to put it up on a file host be my guest.

This is based on the gingerbread kernel with the init.d, su, and removed ciq service just as your froyo based kernel. it is packaged in your cwm flashable script.

I made a kernel using your info that has su, and init.d it is flashable using cwm

this is my home server if someone wants to put it up on a file host be my guest.

This is based on the gingerbread kernel with the init.d, su, and removed ciq service just as your froyo based kernel. it is packaged in your cwm flashable script.

Sounds like your changes are exactly the same as what I just did.
Did you try everything in it out already? If yours is working, I won't need to put mine up... at least until I have a significant change

Sounds like your changes are exactly the same as what I just did.
Did you try everything in it out already? If yours is working, I won't need to put mine up... at least until I have a significant change
ya mine works perfectly, it even has ext4 support. used hroarks gb modules as I found like you did that the froyo modules would not work.

I run a2sd with the sdext partition ext4
you can unpack the image and take a look it has the lines from hroark that enable using ext4 in the init.rc and it has the removed CIQ service, if that stops ciq is unknown at this point though.
and it has the revised init.d from your last kernel.

ya mine works perfectly, it even has ext4 support. used hroarks gb modules as I found like you did that the froyo modules would not work.

I run a2sd with the sdext partition ext4
you can unpack the image and take a look it has the lines from hroark that enable using ext4 in the init.rc and it has the removed CIQ service, if that stops ciq is unknown at this point though.
and it has the revised init.d from your last kernel.

does it also include the modded default.prop?

yes, I modded the default.prop for adb

that just involves changing the 0 correct.

that's the only thing that's really necessary.

I've been able to optimize the wifi driver some.

I'm also looking at porting the broadcom driver from the droid incredible. It has the source for the FM radio. No telling if it will actually work on the prevail though, but the ship is there so I've got high hopes :)

Thanks for doing this Kouma. I backed up my tried and true Shabby .9 that I have clung to for so long last night using your packer and installed the GB image from Chin. Having some problems with Market and WIFI Hotspot so I may have to restore it tonight for a little while unless it can be fixed fairly quickly.

Life Saver Utility. I have not had a lot of time to try out a lot of stuff lately, so this is a really cool way to have a library of various configs on your laptop available for easy ODINing.

Trying to download this kernel using good ethernet at work, but it is coming down really slow, not sure if it will finish. I think I need a GB kernel to help with my WIFI hotspot problem. Kouma .1 for GB? Or is yours posted somewhere else too?

Whoa! Nevermind. Got it. Somebody turned on the spigot. Thanks!

Trying to download this kernel using good ethernet at work, but it is coming down really slow, not sure if it will finish. I think I need a GB kernel to help with my WIFI hotspot problem. Kouma .1 for GB? Or is yours posted somewhere else too?

Whoa! Nevermind. Got it. Somebody turned on the spigot. Thanks!
lol
thats comcast for you.
one second its good, next it sucks, then it bursts though for a little while.

lol
thats comcast for you.
one second its good, next it sucks, then it bursts though for a little while.

Optimus, Charter's not much better. Lol. I'm starting to think that they're throttling me because it's gotten so slow here lately. I'm getting ready to fork out some dough for a new Motorola cable modem and faster Linksys N router to try to speed my connection up.... I'm having to download almost everything to the SD, and then transfer it to my PC in order to experiment, and see what I can come up with.

Updated the packer a good bit.
Turns out that if the filesystem is being written to during the backup operation, it can corrupt some of the files.

Now it runs with the phone in recovery mode

Back
Top Bottom