• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

[Official Discussion] Huawei Ascend 2.1 - 2.2 Firmware Upgrade (Info updated as received!)

Glad I caught that before I got to installing everything. the partition is for the space you want to move things from your internal storage to? I have a small sd card, but I download game apps like a madman. What if I ever need more space if the partition is too small?

You can repartition later on when you get a bigger sd card or just make it 512 and use less space for pics, videos, downloads..... Here's a link on how to repartition;0) http://androidforums.com/ascend-all-things-root/289834-a2sd-confusssion.html#post2386133 I think I'm good at 256 for now. I don't download many apps, but that could change;0) Theres just so many good ones out there:D

Reactions: Reposiric
Upvote 0
Isn't there a Kyocera phone that's still running 1.6 and never got a single update?

My friend has a Samsung Moment and she's running 1.5
We did a lot of searching online the other night and it says that she wont be getting an upgrade...at least not anytime soon. She has an old version of the market that doesn't even have apps like "words with friends" and a lot of others that a lot of our circle like to use together.
Looking at her situation..I don't think we have a lot to complain about.

Upvote 0
Here is the latest info on the 2.2 Ascend upgrade from the Cricket Wireless Facebook fanpage:

Cricket Wireless | Facebook

• Jose Chavez
    I think we should all request the 2.2 update on the Huawei Ascend!! I don't think its fair that we have to buy a new phone after recently buying this one!! Ugh Cricket seriously ur gonna start losing customers cause of this!!:/

7 hours ago

Upvote 0
Out of sheer desperation, I just did that very thing. I just got done writing to the company from their website. I worded things "carefully" so that they understand that we are loyal to their products and that loyalty would increase(possibly...I probably left that word out)...if they would be giving us the update to 2.2 and asked for some kind of timeline or at the very least a definite yes or no...I'll post any response...if I get one. I wont hold my breath though, passing out isnt that much fun so I've been told

no passing isnt that fun i almost did that last night driving home(i have whats called a pvc pulmonary ventricular contraction meaning my heart doesnt beat right) so yeah it sucks passing out wouldn't recomend it anytime soon

Upvote 0
I couldnt get past the part in the icarus install where you turn your phone on to get the Cwm recovery screen. I keep getting android recovery. I have sat back and watched and listened for almost 2 months on this thread. You guys and gals are outstanding. 2.2 can wait. You guys got me on the icarus bandwagon.

It feels good to finally post here for the first time instead of watching the fun unfold without me.

Very nice to meet you all. Especially Jazzy. . .lol.

Upvote 0
I honestly think my next move: Assuming that Froyo is a pipe dream. I like having Cricket service, very happy with that. Saves a ton of cash since I don't travel, why pay $50 extra a month for the privlidge of going out of the area, and that's it-Especially now you can txt nationwide, and "Roam" at 25cents/min. instead of 100/mo.

SO MY NEXT MOVE: Spend the cash on a used Droid X or something, SUPER PHONE, and have it flashed to be used on the Cricket service. You can do it, but there are alot of companies that guarantee their work for about 30-40 bucks, your on Cricket with all working features. THey will tell you ahead of time what phones they can and cannot do.
Cricket just calls it Customer supplied device and dosn't care, just no tech support, but who can blame that. But for a few extra bucks, get the best phone or at least the best that I want, and put it on cricket. Then no matter what, I'll be able to do what I like and not worry about these silly things.

Example: Motorola Droid X has like 7-8GB internal instead of our 250MB, etc, and it could be a total Cricket phone if you wanted to spend.

Currently, those phones are too new to get decent prices on no contract used ones, but I did find a few for around the $200+ mark, so? But before I buy another Android from Cricket, I'm going to give this option some very SERIOUS thought.

The only danger, is if Cricket totally upgrades their system/service, then you would be sitting without their support to upgrade your phone, but I'm sure you would be able to get it upgraded again just may have to pay a bit...

Only my thinking right now....but def. a solid option.
Who knows.....Jeff

Upvote 0
I honestly think my next move: Assuming that Froyo is a pipe dream. I like having Cricket service, very happy with that. Saves a ton of cash since I don't travel, why pay $50 extra a month for the privlidge of going out of the area, and that's it-Especially now you can txt nationwide, and "Roam" at 25cents/min. instead of 100/mo.

SO MY NEXT MOVE: Spend the cash on a used Droid X or something, SUPER PHONE, and have it flashed to be used on the Cricket service. You can do it, but there are alot of companies that guarantee their work for about 30-40 bucks, your on Cricket with all working features. THey will tell you ahead of time what phones they can and cannot do.
Cricket just calls it Customer supplied device and dosn't care, just no tech support, but who can blame that. But for a few extra bucks, get the best phone or at least the best that I want, and put it on cricket. Then no matter what, I'll be able to do what I like and not worry about these silly things.

Example: Motorola Droid X has like 7-8GB internal instead of our 250MB, etc, and it could be a total Cricket phone if you wanted to spend.

Currently, those phones are too new to get decent prices on no contract used ones, but I did find a few for around the $200+ mark, so? But before I buy another Android from Cricket, I'm going to give this option some very SERIOUS thought.

The only danger, is if Cricket totally upgrades their system/service, then you would be sitting without their support to upgrade your phone, but I'm sure you would be able to get it upgraded again just may have to pay a bit...

Only my thinking right now....but def. a solid option.
Who knows.....Jeff
Interesting but I'm afraid the type of phones you are talking about are just way too expensive to buy 'outright' (i.e., without a plan) and yes maybe you can save some by buying used but that's not my thing (a personal preference or dislike if you will).

I think it's been confirmed that cricKet is getting the Huawei X5 later this year (mid year or so) and that the expected price is to be "about the same as the Ascend" and if true then it sounds like a good deal. From all the specs I've seen on the Huawei X5 it is a very nice Android phone (a real true upgrade from the Ascend). However it still is not "top of the line" and it appears to be a 3G phone and that last part might be problematic because cricKet has said they will have 4G at the end of 2011 and expect to have one or two smart phones then that can use it.

So I'm waiting 'til the end of the year. Yes the Huawei Ascend has some drawbacks (mostly due to how slow it is due to the 'crappy' processor) but I just got it 3 months ago and it works well enough (especially with Icarus 1.1 mod) that I can easily and happily wait for the end of the year and get a REAL upgrade (a better faster phone with 4G) that cricKet will (hopefully have by then) and so it won't cost an arm and a leg.

That's my take on it all.

Upvote 0
I swear I've been reading throughout this thread and i kept seeing false hopes, i love my Ascend it's my first Android phone and if Huawei doesn't grant us the upgrade and expects us to buy a newer version just to get Froyo all hells going to break loose. I know patience is good but false hope is like a kick to the face, im still learning things about my Ascend but without Froyo i cant free up space from my phone like sending all my apps to my SD card which blows anyone know how to do that? To be honest i had to get a new Ascend because my Power jack stopped working and when i received it i started looking through the market and i had a different set up it looked better but once i rooted it, it went back to the original one i don't know why that happened but it pissed me off haha and i'd like to try to make my phone faster but it freezes up and slows down at times even when i have the SetCPU app to 600MHZ so yea its probably because my phone is almost full, and im starting to get curious about Icarus 1.1 Mod haha by the way does anyone know any good tool apps for the ascend im not much for playing games on it :) haha well lets all hope that Huawei grants us our most deserving reward and sends us Froyo 2.2!!!

-Best Wishes to all Ascend Owners out there from Android_Ascend ;)

Upvote 0
my cricket rep at my local store told me there wont be a 2.2 update for the ascend they are updating the zio and going to market them again

Untrue. The Zio went on sale, basically all Cricket stores because they were taking it off the shelves. Supposedly soon they are supposed to get a "new" Android phone, and thats why they took it off. [Sais the Cricket representitives from corprate.] That, and they have that new music phone. They said they would be getting an update for both the Zio and the Ascend, they just dont think it's going to be any time soon. Im actually going to call back the number they gave me and see if I can have something sent to me via email to post on this thread verifying that basically we arent getting any new update soon, like you said, but Also, They said dont give your hopes up, It will come eventually, although supposedly its already in Japan... which means we might actually get it sooner then we think. Im not sure.
Ill post back when I get more information!

Upvote 0
Hey there everyone,
After about a week of reading and seeing what everyone was saying about the Icarus 1.1 rom, I finally decided that I would join the fray.
It took me about an hour to do (because I made sure to follow every instruction meticulously) and I am SO much happier. I wanted to say THANKYOU so much for posting all the information guys, esp Jazziette and Issac!!! Thanks thanks and thanks again :)
PS: I was so excited and thankful that I had to sign up just to post. :)

Upvote 0
I like to say thanks as well. My phone no more lags, it's very responsive. Before it would lag just to bring up the dial pad. Everything is smooth. No more forced closes and I was able to get an app to work, that wouldn't work in the stock setup for some reason. Also being able to install as many apps as you like is kool. Can't wait for Cyanogen MOD;0)

Edit: I forgot to add the major increase in battery time. I'm at 57% and it's been 24 hours since last charge. I'm getting over double the battery time. I'm a light cell user though;0)

Upvote 0
Completely new to Android, but a bit of a PC tech head. I have already switched to LauncherPro, which I love, but after watching the forums the last few days I am considering making the move to Icarus. I have had the phone for about a month, so there would be a WHOLE lot of warranty out the window. I guess the real questions here are how hard is the switch, and how much better of a ROM are we talking?

Upvote 0
Completely new to Android, but a bit of a PC tech head. I have already switched to LauncherPro, which I love, but after watching the forums the last few days I am considering making the move to Icarus. I have had the phone for about a month, so there would be a WHOLE lot of warranty out the window. I guess the real questions here are how hard is the switch, and how much better of a ROM are we talking?

Sorry, Dbl post. grrrr

Upvote 0
Ok today i went to the MetroPCS store and asked the guy what he knew about the update and he told me it was already out!!!.... We went to the settings and looked in "About Phone" and it shows "2.1-update 1" and I've never seen that on there, before it just said "2.1" so theres an update ready to be installed but idk how to get to it, idk if i have to unroot my phone or something but im trying to look it up online with other phones... Wish me luck :)

Hey has anyone thought about if certain areas in the US would be getting the Update separably? Like at different dates instead of on one specific day because I've been seeing a lot of different dates on these threads...

-Regards,
Android_Ascend

Upvote 0
Ok today i went to the MetroPCS store and asked the guy what he knew about the update and he told me it was already out!!!.... We went to the settings and looked in "About Phone" and it shows "2.1-update 1" and I've never seen that on there, before it just said "2.1" so theres an update ready to be installed but idk how to get to it, idk if i have to unroot my phone or something but im trying to look it up online with other phones... Wish me luck :)

Hey has anyone thought about if certain areas in the US would be getting the Update separably? Like at different dates instead of on one specific day because I've been seeing a lot of different dates on these threads...

-Regards,
Android_Ascend
It has always said "2.1 - update 1"

Sorry :p

Upvote 0
It has always said "2.1 - update 1"

Sorry :p

Thats weird because I've never seen it before, i would usually look at it a couple times a week for the update but i have looked in the last 3 weeks until today so idk maybe im just trippin but the guy did say it was already out for the Ascend... im going to try and manually install it hopefully that gives me good result if not that i screwed up my phone lol dang i dont want that its my lifeline...

Upvote 0
I was looking at the cricket web site last night, and I noticed the ascend was not on there anymore. Maybe they are starting to pull them out of the stores like they did with the zio before they got the update. Just speculation on my part, but it seems logical. As for what the stores are telling people, you will get ten different answers from ten different stores. I put no faith in any of them until there is an official announcement.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones