• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

[Official Discussion] Huawei Ascend 2.1 - 2.2 Firmware Upgrade (Info updated as received!)

Hey all. I had to sign up (finally after lurking for weeks). I was REALLY scared to mess with the phone as I can't afford another 130 for a new one. BUT I have to say, Thanks to EVERYONE here, I finally did the Icarus update!!! I am still able to use my phone for everything EXCEPT a nice shiny paperweight! (for ppl looking, if you are with cricket, MAKE SURE to select cricket for the network thing. I found mine went to metro automatically) lol
Thanks again to Jaz, early, and everyone else for the GREAT instructions on how to do it. ;) ABSOLUTELY amazing. I think I found a new home! :D

Upvote 0
I have recently got employed with cricket... I will be starting very soon, I asked my manager what he knew about the 2.2 update and he told me personally it WILL be out within 2 to 3 weeks...

Don't quote me, once i get situated in the company i will relay as much info as possible.... lmao i feel like a double agent haha...
Anyways im now running icarus 1.1 mod, and i gotta tell you its amazing!!!! everything works MMS, DATA, WIFI the works.... I had no problem installing it...

anyways i will let you know about any info i recieve daily... thanks

Upvote 0
Personally I think Huawei is ritardeux for running their business this way and stringing along customers without giving them what they want. Typical Chinese business mentality. They want to break into the US market and are going mostly against HTC and LG which provide great smartphones with frequent updates to the latest android OS but they forget the basic business rule which is make the customer happy. I hope somebody there pays attention to this forum and decides to do what's right for the Huawei Ascend owners which is to release the Android 2.2 and eventually 2.3. Why they decide to screw the customer who buys their products by not releasing the upgrade is beyond me.. maybe they want to get walked on by LG and HTC who knows?

Upvote 0
I have recently got employed with cricket... I will be starting very soon, I asked my manager what he knew about the 2.2 update and he told me personally it WILL be out within 2 to 3 weeks...

Don't quote me, once i get situated in the company i will relay as much info as possible.... lmao i feel like a double agent haha...
Anyways im now running icarus 1.1 mod, and i gotta tell you its amazing!!!! everything works MMS, DATA, WIFI the works.... I had no problem installing it...

anyways i will let you know about any info i recieve daily... thanks
Cool now we have an inside man! Hopefully you haven't just opened yourself up for a lot of pm's and customer complaints! Lol

Upvote 0
Personally I think Huawei is ritardeux for running their business this way and stringing along customers without giving them what they want. Typical Chinese business mentality. They want to break into the US market and are going mostly against HTC and LG which provide great smartphones with frequent updates to the latest android OS but they forget the basic business rule which is make the customer happy. I hope somebody there pays attention to this forum and decides to do what's right for the Huawei Ascend owners which is to release the Android 2.2 and eventually 2.3. Why they decide to screw the customer who buys their products by not releasing the upgrade is beyond me.. maybe they want to get walked on by LG and HTC who knows?
There are plenty of more expensive phones that took longer than this to get updated. The samsung fascinate took 6 months to get froyo.

Upvote 0
I wouldn't read too much into that. Lots people who work at Metro are clueless. For what it's worth, I'm hearing March 28 for Metro on another forum. We'll see, I give them 'til the end of the month.

Yea i agree with u on that, well im going to try and install Icarus for now while we wait for 2.2 fingers crossed we get it before April if not than all hope will vanish away from this update :(

Reactions: Fabusto
Upvote 0
I agree with lordt78 lol technology becomes even more advanced in a matter of minutes and once you have something new a.k.a. Huawei Ascend it becomes out dated with something better in due time haha so our best option is to update it's system to keep it up to date and allowing other programs to work like apps2sd which is something a couple of us need to save space on our phones lol personally its actually pretty fun updating my phone to something better and smoother if i may say so :D to be honest I've begun to learn things that i never thought i would understand and btw MetroPCS and Cricket should have a buy back program that would be totally shibby!! :D

Upvote 0
Why are people so impatient about this upgrade? Yes, 2.1 runs a bit slowly but so what? Can you use your phone? Will it run the apps you want it to? Then what's the big deal?
Well...

1. Yes, it runs slowly and LAGS badly
  2. Well...read onto 3
  3. When I would run any more than about 2 apps, my phone would run out of memory and reboot itself in the middle of me using it. So no, not really for 2 and 3.
  4. The big deal is this and I feel that I speak for just about everyone in general: We as paying customers, shelled out a chunk of change for what is advertized as a QUALITY product. Not only is it the job of a company to provide quality products, it is also their responsibility to keep their customers happy through followups such as updates and whatnot.

Reactions: drake53545
Upvote 0
Well...

1. Yes, it runs slowly and LAGS badly
  2. Well...read onto 3
  3. When I would run any more than about 2 apps, my phone would run out of memory and reboot itself in the middle of me using it. So no, not really for 2 and 3.
  4. The big deal is this and I feel that I speak for just about everyone in general: We as paying customers, shelled out a chunk of change for what is advertized as a QUALITY product. Not only is it the job of a company to provide quality products, it is also their responsibility to keep their customers happy through followups such as updates and whatnot.

Since I rooted my phone and froze a bunch of bloatware apps, I haven't had much trouble with lag or things running slowly. I've never had my phone run out of memory or reboot. Lastly, I knew going into it that I wasn't getting a top of the line Droid phone so I can live with the limitations of the Ascend.

I see the world as it is, not as I would like it to be.

Reactions: Gmash
Upvote 0
Ok, that's fine, and everyone is entitled to their opinions.

If there's to be further debate over whether 2.1 is needed or who prefers it, that's better moved to the Ascend VIP Lounge thread - nothing wrong with that, that's what it's for, and that's quite active, not like Siberia or anything.

This thread is more for updates on 2.2 and info pertaining to it - not why it's unnecessary or who has what rights. ;)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones