• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Official Droid Eris 2.1 OS coming very soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Chop. Just wondering how you were able to reinstall your apps after updating. I have a couple of games (some in beta) that I have downloaded and am currently testing and I was worried that if I installed the new 2.1 leak or if the OTA finally came out that these games and apps would be lost and I would have to pay for them again. No one has given a straight answer. If I update, how can I keep these apps without having to pay for them all over again? I had Baseball Superstars (full paid version) on my 1.5 Eris and when I upgraded to 2.1 original leak I lost it (I think). Anyways, any help or a basic walk-through for future reference would be great. Thanks.
I just went into the Market and went to Downloads. It lists every program that was associated with my account. Then I downloaded all of them.

HOWEVER! I was warned that downloading the update for Google Maps will cause the list to be erased, forcing you to search and find each individual program. This happened to me when I installed Leak1, but I never figured out why. I followed this guideline for Leak2 and everything was fine.

But if you are worried about games that have saved progress, you will still lose all that. I haven't found a way to save my progress through a game and restore it in a fresh install.

As for apps disappearing.... When you went from 1.5 to 2.1, all the protected apps disappeared from the marketplace because they aren't allowed to be downloaded to "unofficial" devices or OS's. Once the 2.1 OTA goes out and the Eris is "officially" on 2.1, then those protected apps will reappear in the marketplace and you will NOT have to re-buy them. They will still be associated with your account.

Hey Mortal, the navigation and GPS on my 2.1 original leak works perfect. Besides having to sign-in to google after reboot (which is a rare occasion) I have not noticed too many bugs with the 2.1 leak. ...
Leak #2 = fixed
Yes, Google GPS is one reason I got this phone knowing we would get it in 2.X and it works awesome.

anyone still having to reboot their phone once in a while because you can't make a phone call?

you can make the call, you just can't hear anyone until you reboot

anyone still having to reboot their phone once in a while because you can't make a phone call?

never had that problem.

edit: 2.1 v2... but i didnt have the problem on v1 either

You need to hit *menu* then *quit* to exit pandora, you cant back out of it.

The same thing with MLB At Bat - there's an option to Quit if you go Menu>More...
You cant back out of it; it'll keep running. That's cool, bc you can keep the game audio playing while you're doing other things with the phone.

Glad we're all staying on topic here...

Yupp. It seems that either it is triggered by some apps or a time released bug, because I didn't have the problem on leak v.1 until a few weeks after updating...same with leak 2. It seems to be getting progressively worse and is very annoying.

Yupp. It seems that either it is triggered by some apps or a time released bug, because I didn't have the problem on leak v.1 until a few weeks after updating...same with leak 2. It seems to be getting progressively worse and is very annoying.

I had this problem for two days straight on the 2.1v2 leak. I figured out that it was either the Beautiful Widgets app that I set for my clock, or this app that I used called More Icons. That app puts 4 icons in the space 1x1. I think it was using too much memory or something, so that when I received a call, the Eris didn't have enough memory to run the audio service or whatever. My phone wouldn't ring, only vibrated, and when I answered, I couldn't hear the caller and the caller couldn't hear me. It was just like a half-dead phone.

Ever since I removed both of those apps, I haven't had any problems with the zombie calls.

I had this problem for two days straight on the 2.1v2 leak. I figured out that it was either the Beautiful Widgets app that I set for my clock, or this app that I used called More Icons. That app puts 4 icons in the space 1x1. I think it was using too much memory or something, so that when I received a call, the Eris didn't have enough memory to run the audio service or whatever. My phone wouldn't ring, only vibrated, and when I answered, I couldn't hear the caller and the caller couldn't hear me. It was just like a half-dead phone.

Ever since I removed both of those apps, I haven't had any problems with the zombie calls.

I was afraid you would say Beautiful Widgets. I love the clock/weather widget. Thanks for the tip though, I'm going to try it out.

I was afraid you would say Beautiful Widgets. I love the clock/weather widget. Thanks for the tip though, I'm going to try it out.

Like I said, I'm not sure if it was exactly that...or the other one...or the combination of the two... Just reporting my observation. I liked BW too, but I know that it definitely drained my battery so that's the other reason I'm not putting it back on my phone.

My phone wouldn't ring, only vibrated, and when I answered, I couldn't hear the caller and the caller couldn't hear me.

Similar problem here. IIRC I have had it with both versions of the 2.1 leak. I was thinking of it as "dialer lag" in the first version.

I don't have the apps installed that are mentioned above. It seemed to be intermittent and would go away without my doing anything other than a reboot.

I read that the call history may be getting in the way, so I cleared it and everything is OK so far. We shall see.... Other than that issue, 2.1 has been great.

I've had the problem with the first leak and the new leak. I have NO widgets and I think I have 3 apps that I've downloaded an installed. Bloo, shazam, and a twitter app.

Well this is kind of strange. My wife just sent me a text and asked me why she just got an email from Verizon thanking her for updating her phone to 2.1 operating system???

I told her to forward the email to me. We both have the Eris and I put the 2.1 B leak on both of ours when it came out. I will look at the email and see what it says.

I have no idea what it would be as of now til I get the email. My wife has no clue what an operating system is as it is. She keeps telling me we don't need an update on our phones because I already did the update to Helix... :D

NEVERMIND>>>>>

That is why I handle the technology in the house. The email was for the kids Droid and he never told anyone that he got the update pushed to his phone. She thought it was for hers... LOL!!!

I wouldn't worry too much, just more of the same; Verizon being the sort that does things "bass ackwards" as gramma used to say.

First the congratulatory emails, then the update.

....just more of the same; Verizon being the sort that does things "bass ackwards" ....

How so? I can only recall them issuing one or two vague statements from somewhat marginal sources. The absolute rest of the dialog has been internet chat. If you were Verizon how would you handle an upgrade to your user base?

How so? I can only recall them issuing one or two vague statements from somewhat marginal sources. The absolute rest of the dialog has been internet chat. If you were Verizon how would you handle an upgrade to your user base?

I am trying to use fewer of the little smileys on the right of the posting text-field, the ones that end up in the post, itself, in favor of the "premium" ones that go next to the post title.

This may cause some degree of confusion, at first.

i had this problem before I had beautiful widgets... so i know for a fact it cant be this at all....

ive just come to accept that this problem will persist no matter what i do

its my own fault that I updated... I deserve this punishment

i had this problem before I had beautiful widgets... so i know for a fact it cant be this at all....

ive just come to accept that this problem will persist no matter what i do

its my own fault that I updated... I deserve this punishment

Ok, I'll add beautiful widgets back and see what happens. Thanks.

The benefits of 2.1v2 definitely outweigh the occasional bugs. Remember, 1.5 had its own share of bugs too.

I just went into the Market and went to Downloads. It lists every program that was associated with my account. Then I downloaded all of them.

HOWEVER! I was warned that downloading the update for Google Maps will cause the list to be erased, forcing you to search and find each individual program. This happened to me when I installed Leak1, but I never figured out why. I followed this guideline for Leak2 and everything was fine.

But if you are worried about games that have saved progress, you will still lose all that. I haven't found a way to save my progress through a game and restore it in a fresh install.

As for apps disappearing.... When you went from 1.5 to 2.1, all the protected apps disappeared from the marketplace because they aren't allowed to be downloaded to "unofficial" devices or OS's. Once the 2.1 OTA goes out and the Eris is "officially" on 2.1, then those protected apps will reappear in the marketplace and you will NOT have to re-buy them. They will still be associated with your account.

there is a MUCH MUCH MUCH easier way to do it. download Astro File Manager. open it and hit menu>tools>app backup and choose the apps to be backed up. it saves the .apk files of all currently installed apps to the backup directory on your SD card. after update just install astro from market again and go to menu>tools>app backup and go to the restore rather than backup icon and it will go through and reinstall all the apps you had backed up

there is a MUCH MUCH MUCH easier way to do it. download Astro File Manager. open it and hit menu>tools>app backup and choose the apps to be backed up. it saves the .apk files of all currently installed apps to the backup directory on your SD card. after update just install astro from market again and go to menu>tools>app backup and go to the restore rather than backup icon and it will go through and reinstall all the apps you had backed up

FYI, I don't think you'll ever get future market notifications for those apps if you install them from backup.

This is the same file you posted like 2 weeks ago. You said the same thing then, why is this one any different? I put it on my phone, it works well except the phone sometimes doesn't work and it lags a lot.

This is the same file you posted like 2 weeks ago. You said the same thing then, why is this one any different? I put it on my phone, it works well except the phone sometimes doesn't work and it lags a lot.

look at the date of the first post buddy. not trying to be mean here but pay attention a little. this IS the file posted a few weeks ago, the thread was just bumped.

Ok so ive finally decided to do this and i need to be sure from my phone like not from a comp at all the right way. I forgot about this forum for a while so sorry if this question has already been answered. Do i just download and flash or do i have to drop it in somewhere or what?

Ok so ive finally decided to do this and i need to be sure from my phone like not from a comp at all the right way. I forgot about this forum for a while so sorry if this question has already been answered. Do i just download and flash or do i have to drop it in somewhere or what?

Put the file on your SD card. Turn your phone off. Press the Volume Down button and Send buttons concurrently. You're set from there. Just let it do its thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom