• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

***Official Galaxy Nexus Pre-Release speculation thread**

Status
Not open for further replies.
need some advise....

i have been impatiently waiting for this phone for months now.... I am an ATT customer with a 2 phone plan with me using a nexus one and my boss lady with a iphone 4. I am 15 months into my contract obligation. breaking my contract would cost me 300 bones. I have no issues with ATT coverage. I am happy for the most part with my service

It isn't likely GN will be released for ATT in the near future (next 3-6 wks) and I just can't wait till jan, feb, or march.... I need and WANT this phone now. I have 700 bucks budgeted to buy the SOB unsubsidized regardless of what carrier. So it comes down to the following:

A) Import a GSM phone for $750+, keep current contract, and have no warranty on my phone

B.) Switch to Verizon, pick up to subsidized phones for ~300/each, pay my 300 for breaking contract, but also pick up another $30/month in service charges compared to ATT.... though I think the coverage in my area will improve, and I will have LTE with verizon vs 3g ATT. I can sell the iphone4 my wife has to make up some of the additional expenses.

Any thoughts?

If you do jump from att to Verizon you will beer losing unlimited data.depends on how important that is to you

Upvote 0
And the countdown continues! Good morning to you all what a gorgeous orange/red/pink sunrise this morning...heavenly!

3 days to go w :D:Dt!

Taken with my Inc this morning at 7 sorry about the powerlines :p

d132f754.jpg

Reactions: Deleted User
Upvote 0
If we were within a week, we would know for sure. I have very little faith this phone will be released this coming week.

Think what you will, but all the signs point to either a 17th or a 21st release.
I think that those of us who've been following the recent Nexus news have faith in one of those two dates, and with good reason.

That being said, if the 21st passes and we still hear radio silence about this phone, then you'll have been right and the rest of us will all be burning buildings and attacking police cars :rolleyes:
bp2.jpg
http://inapcache.boston.com/universal/site_graphics/blogs/bigpicture/london_riots/bp2.jpg

Reactions: Travillion
Upvote 0
If you do jump from att to Verizon you will beer losing unlimited data.depends on how important that is to you
I don't have unlimited data..

The only good thing I have going with ATT is their talk. I have a 700 minute plan, but with unlimited texts, I have unlimited mobile to mobile minutes on any carrier. so with my 700 minute plan, I can use my normal 1500-2000 minutes a month and still bank 200+ towards my roll-over balance.

Moving to verizon I would have to go with a 1400 minute plan in order to get their 10 number deal and bumping my rates by 30 bucks. Also, my wife would have to get a $30/month data plan vs her $15/month plan on ATT.

the biggest pro of going to verizon would be we both get new phones. She doesn't like the iphone, but isn't a heavy user, so she stuck with it, where as I ditched mine within a week or so. The biggest con of verizon is the additional monthly service charge. I would be looking at 180+ month for cell phone coverage!

Upvote 0
Food for thought : what if there were two versions : 16gb at 199 (off contract 500) and 32gb at 299 (off contract 630 or so)? Which would you choose?

32 since i know I have the funds otherwise it would have been 16

Well, technically, we have been "within days" the whole time.... it was just more days THEN than it is NOW........:p

"Anywhere is walking distance if you have the time" - Steven Wright

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CErapf79rqM

Very true. But optimism is easy when bacon is involved! (technology, dark chocolate and bacon are the ways to my good graces and I am proud of that)

Every time I see your username I have to lol. I don't know why, it just cracks me up. Top 10 in usernames. :)

Same here. But then I wonder HOW that name was chosen?

We all knew it was going to be a slow weekend.

But I've got some bad news. House completely flooded. Fish are swimming everywhere.

photobucket-13629-1321197939316.jpg

Keep swimming, just keep swimming!

Upvote 0
32GB for me, nothing else would be considerd.

A long time ago, when I was buying a computer, I had to make the choice between getting a 17" monitor for $300 extra, or 8MB of memory for $300. Yes, choices used to be that bad. Total computer was close to $3k, and I had to stick to that budget. I chose the monitor, with the rational that I could always add memory later, but couldn't add inches to the monitor.

I've applied that same philosophy to many things in life. If it's really going to cause hardship later to add something, might as well bite the bullet now and save yourself future headaches.

Upvote 0
Food for thought : what if there were two versions : 16gb at 199 (off contract 500) and 32gb at 299 (off contract 630 or so)? Which would you choose?

Although your hypothetical off-contract scenario between the two would mean $100 for 16gb of additional storage (kind of steep IMO) I would do it without a doubt. No way I cheap out on hardware options. I would always opt for more storage.

I can also envision your scenerio becoming reality. I hope they offer 32gb subsidized at $299. I won't be shocked if VZW squeezes us a little for the bloat free experience though.

Upvote 0
I don't have unlimited data..

The only good thing I have going with ATT is their talk. I have a 700 minute plan, but with unlimited texts, I have unlimited mobile to mobile minutes on any carrier. so with my 700 minute plan, I can use my normal 1500-2000 minutes a month and still bank 200+ towards my roll-over balance.

Moving to verizon I would have to go with a 1400 minute plan in order to get their 10 number deal and bumping my rates by 30 bucks. Also, my wife would have to get a $30/month data plan vs her $15/month plan on ATT.

the biggest pro of going to verizon would be we both get new phones. She doesn't like the iphone, but isn't a heavy user, so she stuck with it, where as I ditched mine within a week or so. The biggest con of verizon is the additional monthly service charge. I would be looking at 180+ month for cell phone coverage!

I am in similar boat I did an comparison between staying with att or jumping to Verizon. It came down to whether I wanted to spend an additional thirty bucks an month on cell service for lte.

Another factor is if you travel an lot I am not sure how easy it is to use Verizon phones overseas

Upvote 0
Good morning all. I'm not expecting a huge info leak today, but do expect one within a day or two, so here's to being that much closer.

And on a side note... I was contemplating relationships the other day because my family got news that some relatives of mine were getting a divorce and it threw everyone for a loop. We couldn't believe it, because the wife, who had always seemed happy was saying she had enough and wanted out. Of course, later we found out another man was involved. She wasn't completely together with this other man, but he was obviously influencing her.

So here's my point to bring it back on track... I overheard a family member say that "as soon as another person showed interest in her, she realized she wasn't happy in her current relationship and wanted out."

Now, if you recall my earliest threads I ALWAYS claimed to love my Thunderbolt and was just looking for a new phone cause my wife liked mine and I like new phones. We'll, since then my TB has slowly began to start driving me crazy. It's laggy, buggy, slows down at times and so on. I thought to myself how crazy it is that in the final days of my TB it is starting to poop the bed.

But then I thought about what my family said about my cousin... "as soon as there's another person involved the relationship was over." I have to wonder if all of those bugs, all of those laggy moments have always been there but I didn't really notice them because I wasn't being influenced by another phone's lure?

Long story short, I think I'm cheating on my current phone and I want out. :)

Yes the same thing has happened with my inc2. It never slowed down it never froze it never deleted my widgets and force closed sense every 2 seconds until 2 weeks ago. And it also started deleting my system apps like calender,dock mode, and browser. I want out

Upvote 0

Tough decision because I am really low on funds right now, and the $199 price would mean that I may be able to spare selling my firstborn child. As for storage needs, I don't use over 2GB of storage on my 16GB card I have now, but...the camera on my DX sucks and maybe I"ll do more with media with a faster phone. I'm getting a Kindle Fire for Christmas, so will that satisfy my media cravings? Probably.

If we were within a week, we would know for sure. I have very little faith this phone will be released this coming week.

I resent that statement! :p I actually wouldn't put anything past VZW on this one. Everything about this and the other two phone releases have been far from conventional.

Upvote 0
I am in similar boat I did an comparison between staying with att or jumping to Verizon. It came down to whether I wanted to spend an additional thirty bucks an month on cell service for lte.

Another factor is if you travel an lot I am not sure how easy it is to use Verizon phones overseas

I don't travel.

one other thing about staying ATT would be keeping my old nexus one for a back up phone. I farm and while I have had my nexus one for 2 yrs without wrecking or loosing it, I have had summers I have gone through 3 phones... slammed in tractor doors, one smashed in a pneumatic seat, one lost in a 40 acre field, one slammed in a trunk lid.... and on and on.

I have definitely gotten better with my phones and this is the off-season for me, and would actually get to enjoy the fun part of the phone for a few months -> bigger screen, videos, camera

Upvote 0
I don't travel.

one other thing about staying ATT would be keeping my old nexus one for a back up phone. I farm and while I have had my nexus one for 2 yrs without wrecking or loosing it, I have had summers I have gone through 3 phones... slammed in tractor doors, one smashed in a pneumatic seat, one lost in a 40 acre field, one slammed in a trunk lid.... and on and on.

I have definitely gotten better with my phones and this is the off-season for me, and would actually get to enjoy the fun part of the phone for a few months -> bigger screen, videos, camera

gn is an lot bigger than the n1 so maybe those mishaps will happen less frequently. you could always buy insurance for your phone don't know if it covers all the accidents that you have encountered so far

Upvote 0
Tough decision because I am really low on funds right now, and the $199 price would mean that I may be able to spare selling my firstborn child. As for storage needs, I don't use over 2GB of storage on my 16GB card I have now, but...the camera on my DX sucks and maybe I"ll do more with media with a faster phone. I'm getting a Kindle Fire for Christmas, so will that satisfy my media cravings? Probably.

I resent that statement! :p I actually wouldn't put anything past VZW on this one. Everything about this and the other two phone releases have been far from conventional.

I think it needs to be pointed out that the option of 16 or 32 GB is purely hypothetical at this point. Nothing that I'm aware of has been leaked that even hints that Verizon might offer both options. In fact so far we've only seen a leak with just the 32GB option listed. It wouldn't be very cost effective for Samsung to produce both a 16GB and a 32GB Galaxy Nexus solely for Verizon.

Reactions: Travillion
Upvote 0
Well I may as well go ahead and join this thing. I've been lurking for 2 weeks or so. I've never followed a phone launch before but I am completely obsessed with this thing. I got a Droid X right when it launched and havent even thought about getting a new phone until a month or so ago. I started researching and saw comparisons between the droid razr and nexus galaxy. I was initially interested in the razr for all the normal gimmicky reasons but then I found this thread. Did I mention that I got completely obsessed with the nexus galaxy? My life has become completely consumed with following this thread and checking feverishly for release updates. I think part of it has to do with my droid x freezing, restarting, and generally being irritating constantly but mostly it has to do with the galaxy nexus looking amazing.

Upvote 0
Oh I also have a question about verizon plans. I switched to Verizon when the droid x came out because I get a pretty good discount through my employer. When I signed up I got $50 off the phone and for an additional $30 I got a 1 year contract. I never saw either of those things listed as benefits of my employee discount so has anyone ever heard of Verizon doing that for new customers? I am really hoping it wasnt a new customer thing so I can get the $30 1 year contract thing again, that would be sweet.

Well I may as well go ahead and join this thing. I've been lurking for 2 weeks or so. I've never followed a phone launch before but I am completely obsessed with this thing. I got a Droid X right when it launched and havent even thought about getting a new phone until a month or so ago. I started researching and saw comparisons between the droid razr and nexus galaxy. I was initially interested in the razr for all the normal gimmicky reasons but then I found this thread. Did I mention that I got completely obsessed with the nexus galaxy? My life has become completely consumed with following this thread and checking feverishly for release updates. I think part of it has to do with my droid x freezing, restarting, and generally being irritating constantly but mostly it has to do with the galaxy nexus looking amazing.

Upvote 0
I think it needs to be pointed out that the option of 16 or 32 GB is purely hypothetical at this point. Nothing that I'm aware of has been leaked that even hints that Verizon might offer both options. In fact so far we've only seen a leak with just the 32GB option listed. It wouldn't be very cost effective for Samsung to produce both a 16GB and a 32GB Galaxy Nexus solely for Verizon.

True...BUT P3Droid (aka Windsock) did receive two engineering phones from somewhere and one was a 16gb while the other was 32gb. At least, that is what I gathered from the pic that he posted and both phones, apparently are Verizon. So is it possible that they are toying with this option? Maybe. I'd go with the one phone for all speculation though. It does make more sense.

Upvote 0

Welcome to the forums. Enjoy our continuing decent into madness. It's fun.

Upvote 0

Welcome to the family! We are all in the same boat. Glad to know another family member is suffering along with us.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones