• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

***Official Galaxy Nexus Pre-Release speculation thread**

Status
Not open for further replies.
The poll in this comparison is enough reason why Verizon has not announced the Galaxy Nexus, they need to get those pre-orders in before the release.

Galaxy Nexus vs. Droid RAZR

We do have to remember that the average person is not going and looking at phandroid, so that could be a really biased number and not a true figure of what the general population is looking to get.

Upvote 0
... they want the Razr to have the limelight for the next few weeks.

^This if anything. Standard operating procedure for the usual suspects at VZW.

If Verizon is sure you're locked in as a customer group and unlikely to change carriers, no amount of device complaining is likely to sway them in my opinion.

Upvote 0
And VZW, since there own corporate reps tell me VZW has taken a zero tolerance policy on rooting and custom roms, due to repair costs they eat and non-contract wifi tethering.

Go to a VZW corporate store and the manager will give the same response, but perhaps worded a little differently of course.

There is a difference between voiding a warranty and forcing a device be locked down. They haven't forced all devices to be locked down. Motorola has locked down every android phone that Google hasn't had them build (in the US and EU, unless the EU RAZR breaks the trend).

They should not have to honor a warranty on a custom rom'd device unless what broke was something hardware related (that wasn't overclocked).

But what you are effectively doing is asking a platoon sergeant (corporate reps) what the battle plan is. They know very little and they don't want to deal with problems you create.

Upvote 0
I don't see Verizon announcing two flagship phones in the same week. It seemed like the Nexus would be announced on the 11th, 18th for RAZR, and 25th for Rezound. Now, their schedule is all messed up.

On the 25th, Verizon will announce the Rezound or Nexus, but unlikely that they announce both. Whichever goes unannounced gets announced the following week. That's my guess.

Reactions: EarlyMon
Upvote 0
I don't see Verizon announcing two flagship phones in the same week. It seemed like the Nexus would be announced on the 11th, 18th for RAZR, and 25th for Rezound. Now, their schedule is all messed up.

On the 25th, Verizon will announce the Rezound or Nexus, but unlikely that they announce both. Whichever goes unannounced gets announced the following week. That's my guess.

I agree. I'm expecting something on Tuesday. Just guessing of course. As is tradition on this thread.

Upvote 0
^This if anything. Standard operating procedure for the usual suspects at VZW.

If Verizon is sure you're locked in as a customer group and unlikely to change carriers, no amount of device complaining is likely to sway them in my opinion.

And that's the problem with the current system with contracts and "subsidized" phones and every carrier using different bands.

They upset the customer and get anywhere from $125 to $375 in an ETF fee. They probably assume you will come back in a year or two anyway.

It is rather difficult to vote with your wallet.

Upvote 0
True, I just wanted to add one more reason why there hasn't been an announcement.

If Verizon were to announce and promote another new phone today with the big bad ICS, it would still cannibalize sales from the Razr.

We do have to remember that the average person is not going and looking at phandroid, so that could be a really biased number and not a true figure of what the general population is looking to get.

Upvote 0
The poll in this comparison is enough reason why Verizon has not announced the Galaxy Nexus, they need to get those pre-orders in before the release.

Galaxy Nexus vs. Droid RAZR

That pole is in the isolated bubble of this forum (that is great), so only people here. The NA mainstream media is favoring the Razr and based on the main media hubs consumers look at, the Razr will sell far more devices than the Nexus for VZW. The Nexus will be a device people like in these forums will choose.

You will find far more mention of the Razr in NA, but mainly due ot the location of the events, though that is all VZW needs to help them out: NA exposure of the product.

Here is but one example listing some major consumer traffic hubs.

Motorola Droid Razr hands on review round up - Reviews - Know Your Mobile

Upvote 0
True, I just wanted to add one more reason why there hasn't been an announcement.

If Verizon were to announce and promote another new phone today with the big bad ICS, it would still cannibalize sales from the Razr.

It's not that I disagree - it's just that I gotta wonder two things:

• where is demand for various Android models driven: tsunami that started in viral fashion or Verizon promotions and backing?
  • where does Verizon think that demand is generated?

I know there's a big population that simply says, can't wait, NEED one today, going for available over promise....

But if you don't test that theory with clear choices - how do you know what will really impact what?

There are a lot of competing features on the RAZR and lots of people will go for that, ICS or no ICS.

Just thinking out loud... :thinking:

Upvote 0
That's a tough question but I would have to muster up the cash for the GNex. If it does not get subsidized, it should hold a pretty good resale value.

One very possible scenario is that the GNex is released to be used on Verizon, but Verizon offers no subsidy. So, the question is, do you go for the $300 RAZR or the $6-700 GNex?

Upvote 0
All good points.

I guess the optimist in me is trying to provide reasons why the hell we haven't heard a damn thing!

It's not that I disagree - it's just that I gotta wonder two things:

• where is demand for various Android models driven: tsunami that started in viral fashion or Verizon promotions and backing?
  • where does Verizon think that demand is generated?

I know there's a big population that simply says, can't wait, NEED one today, going for available over promise....

But if you don't test that theory with clear choices - how do you know what will really impact what?

There are a lot of competing features on the RAZR and lots of people will go for that, ICS or no ICS.

Just thinking out loud... :thinking:

Upvote 0

Average person or average person interested in a top end phone? For business? For looking cool? For being a sharp consumer?

That story - like all Android/tech stories - will get kanged or independently done by others until it's all over the intertubes.

Shall we count the Android/tech news blogs and their daily traffic?

And then there's the word of mouth from those shoppers to friends and family, secondary and tertiary recipients of Phandroid-like info.

I think this _average person_ that everyone thinks about (including in the news blogs, and I mean the meme, not you personally mfecik) is a perpetuated myth.

I think if there is an average person buying Android in the USA and many countries abroad, directly or indirectly, their buying decision was very much affected by tech blogs and not logic.

Remember these quotes from Bob Kovacs at Wifefly (who seems like a good egg to me, btw) - (on the iP4) "I looked into the settings but I can't quite figure out how to keep the display active." "Iconic design that's so popular because it just works!"

Once a meme kicks in, it gets its own life - in my opinion.

Edit and PS - I totally agree, can't trust tech blog user statistics for all the reasons known to statistical disciplines - your original point, mfecik. I think my point is there's so much bias out there, I don't trust people trying to get it right, either. :D

Reactions: mfecik
Upvote 0
One very possible scenario is that the GNex is released to be used on Verizon, but Verizon offers no subsidy. So, the question is, do you go for the $300 RAZR or the $6-700 GNex?

My choice would be $6-700 on a GNex or keep waiting. I wouldn't hold my breath for the SG3 since they have launch in EU during spring and then the US during fal (a year from now), but maybe something else will come around.

Upvote 0
And VZW, since there own corporate reps tell me VZW has taken a zero tolerance policy on rooting and custom roms, due to repair costs they eat and non-contract wifi tethering.

Go to a VZW corporate store and the manager will give the same response, but perhaps worded a little differently of course.

They really loved it when some really un-smart individuals visited their stores and rooted some of the demos too.

Reactions: rushmore
Upvote 0
On the razr forum, YodaDroid is hinting (in that super obnoxious way he does) that RAZR is dropping sooner than November 3.

I hope someone got their wires crossed on the Oct. 27 thing, and that RAZR drops then. The sooner it drops, the sooner attention can be focused on the Nexus. Also, it would fit well if October is for RAZR, because then maybe November will be for Nexus.

Where that leaves the horrendously named Rezound, I don't know, and I don't think I care.

Upvote 0

If VZW forces my hand, and offers no subsidy on GNEx, it might not be a deal breaker for me...as long as I can stay off contract and keep my unlimited data. I am not independently wealthy but I can certainly swing paying full price for a GNex. I know that isn't the case for some, like students for example.

They would almost be doing me a favor in setting me up for a subsidized next gen device in 2012. But sure, I will most like buy GNex with the subsidy if it is eligible. It just won't be a deal killer if not.

Reactions: mfecik
Upvote 0
So, if there was ANY reason whatsoever why they couldn't use the same chips as the Galaxy S 2 (and there could be a lot of reasons - cost, supply, driver issues, incompatibilities with the rest of the system, battery life...), then the OMAP 4460 was the next best thing.

I'm sticking with this, seems reasonable to me -

Wanted to revisit this subject because I found this interesting - apologies if already posted. From -

Why the Galaxy Nexus uses OMAP instead of Exynos | ExtremeTech

Why did Google choose the OMAP for its new Nexus? Well, it might not live up to the high graphical standards set out by the iPhone, but it is a solid chip in its own right. The OMAP4 platform makes use of an additional hardware accelerator called IVA 3 that makes encoding and decoding HD video a snap. The Galaxy Nexus has an HD screen, so this hardware focus on video is a big plus.

And frankly, that makes perfect sense to me. My HTPC setup feeding my 1080p TV has a Intel GPU that is absolutely hated by the gaming community.

But it pumps out video like you wouldn't believe and that's why I chose it.

Nexus - more and more a media phone. :)

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones