• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

***Official Galaxy Nexus Pre-Release speculation thread**

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is that technology readily used presently? Never heard of it, but more than happy to hear it's something they're working on.

I know that from the iphone 3gs onwards apple has used it, and I know that some android phones have used it (can't remember which phones off the top of my head tho I think HTC Hero was one). It resists fingerprints too.

Reactions: EarlyMon
Upvote 0
This nonsense needs to stop.

The Motorola Xoom has an unlockable unencrypted bootloader. It is sold by Verizon. Samsung Fascinate (SG1) has an unlockable bootloader. It is sold by Verizon. The HTC Thunderbolt has an unlockable bootloader. It is sold by Verizon.

The phones which most certainly don't have unlockable bootloader. Motorola phones with MotoBlur. This is a motorola decision. Not Verizon.

This is actually a concern of mine as well. So I personally don't feel like it's nonsense. Things could change. They used to not care about free tethering, now they are cracking down on it...things are changing

I wouldn't put it past Verizon to want their devices locked down. Android has seen a HUGE surge in popularity and security is a real issue and Google knows this as well. So moving forward, the past does not predict the future.

The real test will be when/if the Nexus hits Verizon. will it be locked down. I can't wait to see how that plays out. If it's unlocked there will be a backlash against Moto like never before....and rightfully so. That will prove that Verizon is not pulling the strings on the locked BL's.

This will be some good theatre :)

Upvote 0
Is that technology (oleophobic coating) readily used presently? Never heard of it, but more than happy to hear it's something they're working on.

It's an iPhone feature as I recall.

(ninja'd again - I think I'll just hush up a while! :))

Pleas for me to keep that promise in 3... 2... lma0 :D

Reactions: drbugsmn
Upvote 0
Those wondering about quad cores, Asus announced their new Transformer will be quad-core. Official reveal is Nov. 9th. No announcement on release yet.:
ASUS' Jonney Shih unveils Transformer Prime Android tablet: 10-inch, 8.3mm, quad-core NVIDIA Tegra 3 -- Engadget
Looks pretty awesome. Hopefully the price is right on this one.

Good to see someone is using the name PRIME! :D

So I skipped the last 20 pages from yesterday LOL...is everyone taking Valiums waiting for info on release?

Upvote 0
Lol. I see the dilemma. Because of my indecision about the GNEx and the Rezound I would happily hand over an upgrade now while there is a good deal and wait for both phones to get real usage and reviews. But that's just how I feel. I know a lot of people have no indecision about this and want the GNex as soon as it's available.
:D

Well, part of it is I'm having issues with my D2. :( But then my husband is stuck on a Samsung Omnia (his own fault tho, he didn't want to pay for an Android phone last time) so I feel kinda bad. ;)

I will feel a lot better when we have an official release date, for sure. Not that I necessarily doubt VZW, but not knowing is tiring!

Upvote 0
So pray tell why the US DRAZR will be encrypted while overseas it won't?

EDIT: Grrr Han, sniping me!

You ask them that. All I needed to prove is that Verizon currently allows unlockable devices on their network. Two of which are Motorola products without MotoBlur (Xoom and OG), but of which Google had a strong hand in designing.

Perhaps, Motorola USA and Motorola EU don't see eye to eye, but the Original Droid was unlocked in the US, but locked in Europe. Verizon had nothing to do with that. I don't care about Europe, they get locked Motorola boatloaders to go with their better mobile plans/providers.

I believe Samsung has never had a android phone that wasn't unlockable.

Upvote 0
Is this implying that Moto wants to lock down only the phones that have Motoblur on them? Because last time I checked, they all did, no?

Also, if it has nothing to do with Verizon and it's purely a Moto decision, then why the decision to lock down the Verizon version but not the overseas version??

Doesn't make a lick of sense to me.

I don't think anyone here will ever find out the true reason and deciding factors as to whether bootloaders are encrypted or not unless you get a job there. There are tons of business negotiations and hardware design decisions that we will never know about that determines this. I highly doubt it's as simple as Verizon or Moto wants it so it's locked.

All that matters for the GNex is that having an unlockable and unencrypted bootloader is possible on Verizon. If Google wants this (as they have on previous Nexus phones), then the GNex won't be locked.

Upvote 0
Another though I had is that Verizon might not even announce the phone. It might just be available one day.

Aside from geeks like us, Verizon might not feel that this device will bring new customers in like their exclusive RAZR will, especially since many different carriers will probably carry the phone. In their mind, they probably don't see the reason to put a lot of money into a device that can disable their bloat, and that most people who already know about the device, already know about the device. I think it will come to Verizon first, but won't be exclusive for long, and won't be marketed hardly at all by Verizon. The rezound and RAZR will be Verizon's darlings for the Holidays.

I thought the bloat disable was an ICS feature, so I'm not to sure about that reasoning. That is unless Verizon is making Moto remove that feature from ICS like they make them lock the bootloader :rolleyes:.

Upvote 0
I know I had brought this up a few 100 pages back, but does anyone know besides a docking station that the devise probably comes with if there are other accessories for the GNex? Like the ones for the Razr. The HD docking station thing that was shown off is pretty killer, would love to see the GNex come with something like that!

Upvote 0
Here's my version of a properly unlockable bootloader, aka the Nexus S steps to get thru the process -

• Download Android SDK components to your Win, Mac or Linux
  • Connect phone via USB port
  • launch adb (Android Debug Bridge)
  • issue command fastboot oem unlock
  • Go back to your regular life.

In all honesty, the rest of the unlocking / accessing methods I've seen really amount to something akin to playing Frogger - go here, go back, do this, dance around, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc.

In my mind, there's unlockable and there's unlockable.

Upvote 0
Here's my version of a properly unlockable bootloader, aka the Nexus S steps to get thru the process -

In all honesty, the rest of the unlocking / accessing methods I've seen really amount to something akin to playing Frogger - go here, go back, do this, dance around, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc.

This sounds so uncomplicated that I might even be able to handle it.

Upvote 0

and that makes perfect sense. It's a win win. If only......

Upvote 0
they would buy sprint, and still keep sprint employees and begin beefing up their network, and bringing in a new line of customer service.

just maybe :p

or would they start off big? think they may start off small with another carrier like uscellular or ntelos or something to that nature

If it were me, I would be searching out a small carrier that is having a hard time competing, and would benefit from the recognition a name like Google and Motorola would offer. If they went after a company that is really large, they would also take on the company's liablilities, thus making it more profitable to spend that money on infastructure and development, as oppossed to some debt they would get no benefit from. It's all just my own speculation though. Maybe I should patent the idea, lol.

Upvote 0
So Moto is lying? That is possible.

And VZW, since there own corporate reps tell me VZW has taken a zero tolerance policy on rooting and custom roms, due to repair costs they eat and non-contract wifi tethering.

Go to a VZW corporate store and the manager will give the same response, but perhaps worded a little differently of course.

Reactions: cereal killer
Upvote 0
Yes, but remember that Google just bought Motorola, so things may be changing for them in the near future. I mentioned this before, but I could see Google buying a small carrier in the future and setting themselves apart from everyone with the OS(Android), the hardware(Motorola), and insert small failing carrier here. It's a long shot, but if I were CEO, it would be in the long range planning,

T-Mobile would work nicely with that. Imagine if Android took their ball, went home and began their own network on T-Mobile pulling from Verizon, Virgin, AT&T, Sprint, the right to sell anything Android leaving them RIM, Apple and ? to meet the demand of their customers.

Ah, dare to dream.:cool:

Upvote 0
This sounds so uncomplicated that I might even be able to handle it.

I know, right?

My first full root with S-OFF for the bootloader took 78 (yes - I said 78!) steps. People celebrate various so-called one-click methods that have come along since then - that require three sticky and 60-eleven dozen Q&A threads to get thru, each different for each phone made and model.

Oh, great phone providers, be you makers or carriers, hear my plea - one step just oughta do it. Because you keep trying to build a better mousetrap - never quite getting that you're trying to use that against junkyard dawgs.

The community is going to get in and replace your rom - seems like they just about almost always do.

Stop the bootloader madness, like DRM, it's defective by design.

Teaching a pig to sing - can't be done and just pisses off the pig. Trying to keep us out from where you don't want us - like teaching a pig to sing.

Wake up phone providers, ya dig?

Cue someone posting Babe singing La La La, La La La in 3... 2... to refute my point - why, I wouldn't know, but I love that movie.

PS - For those that missed it - Sprint is providing warranty support for rooted phones where the problem isn't obviously caused by a bad rom install.

Wake up Verizon. It's 2011 already.

Upvote 0
I'm getting impatient. Verizon needs to pop up and say something. Will it be at corporate stores, Best Buy only like previous nexus phones? how much will they charge?

They are probably too busy bickering with Samsung and Google about allowing a non bloated and unlocked device on their network. Apple has no VZW bloat, but IS locked down.

Perhaps that and they want the Razr to have the limelight for the next few weeks.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones