• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

***Official HTC Incredible Thread***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Upvote 0
I hate to beat this drum again, but since the discussion has drifted to Sense, I think it's appropriate. I think they're making a big mistake trying to run Sense on only 256 MB of RAM, assuming that spec is accurate of course. Based on my experience with HTC's OS overlays (which admittedly is limited to older WM phones), you need all the RAM you can get to run that interface. It's a double-gimp, IMO.

It sounds like they've improved Sense since the days it was called TouchFLO, but it still takes SOMETHING to run.

Upvote 0
I hate to beat this drum again, but since the discussion has drifted to Sense, I think it's appropriate. I think they're making a big mistake trying to run Sense on only 256 MB of RAM, assuming that spec is accurate of course. Based on my experience with HTC's OS overlays (which admittedly is limited to older WM phones), you need all the RAM you can get to run that interface. It's a double-gimp, IMO.

It sounds like they've improved Sense since the days it was called TouchFLO, but it still takes SOMETHING to run.

No. No, it doesn't. You haven't heard about "hidden RAM" yet? :D

Upvote 0
Well sir, if you are right about that then the PB31200 phone is Verizon because the Test Report (22) mentions "Rev. A" throughout.

I couldn't really decipher what he was trying to say or what he meant by "C". Both Verizon and Sprint are at EVDO rev A for 3G so there's absolutely no difference in what standard the two use. EVDO's latest is up to rev B with a speed increase, but Verizon has chosen to not implement this and just jump to LTE. Sprint has WiMax in the 2.5GHz range, but only in a few select markets. It would appear that this FCC approval covers the two CDMA bands, bluetooth, and wifi. No WiMax as far as I can tell so it's probably not the Supersonic unless that phone ends up being 3G only.

Not to digress, but Verizon better get these phones out soon. With 40"+ on my 150ft driveway (I'm still clearing last weekend's snow), a snowblower has surged to a very close #2 on my list of discretionary purchases. If Verizon doesn't get something to market soon, and mother nature doesn't take a f***ing break, the Incredible or Nexus One might get bumped. :eek:

Upvote 0
I couldn't really decipher what he was trying to say or what he meant by "C". Both Verizon and Sprint are at EVDO rev A for 3G so there's absolutely no difference in what standard the two use. EVDO's latest is up to rev B with a speed increase, but Verizon has chosen to not implement this and just jump to LTE. Sprint has WiMax in the 2.5GHz range, but only in a few select markets. It would appear that this FCC approval covers the two CDMA bands, bluetooth, and wifi. No WiMax as far as I can tell so it's probably not the Supersonic unless that phone ends up being 3G only.

Not to digress, but Verizon better get these phones out soon. With 40"+ on my 150ft driveway (I'm still clearing last weekend's snow), a snowblower has surged to a very close #2 on my list of discretionary purchases. If Verizon doesn't get something to market soon, and mother nature doesn't take a f***ing break, the Incredible or Nexus One might get bumped. :eek:

Don

Upvote 0
No. No, it doesn't. You haven't heard about "hidden RAM" yet? :D
Oh, that's right, I forgot. There's about 2 gig of that, right? ;)

Based on the pics\video, the Incredible doesn't appear to have a removable battery.
Has that been discussed at all? I want the phone but I'm not real crazy about that, if true.
It's been mentioned, but AFAIK, it's all speculation. I don't see why the formed back would preclude a removable battery. Take my old HTC Touch for example. It's got a flat back, but it only has to slide a tiny amount to lock in. With modern modeling and molding techniques, they could easily make the back look like that, have it clear a protruding battery, AND provide the clearance needed to snap in.

Just for discussion, has HTC ever put out a phone with a non-removable battery? I honestly don't know.

Upvote 0
Based on the pics\video, the Incredible doesn't appear to have a removable battery.
Has that been discussed at all? I want the phone but I'm not real crazy about that, if true.

It's hard to tell if it will be removable or not. If they come out with interchangeable backplates then I'm sure the battery will come out. I can't see them releasing a phone without it, given all the complaints about the iPhone.

Upvote 0
It's hard to tell if it will be removable or not. If they come out with interchangeable backplates then I'm sure the battery will come out. I can't see them releasing a phone without it, given all the complaints about the iPhone.

Very true.

It's been mentioned, but AFAIK, it's all speculation. I don't see why the formed back would preclude a removable battery. Take my old HTC Touch for example. It's got a flat back, but it only has to slide a tiny amount to lock in. With modern modeling and molding techniques, they could easily make the back look like that, have it clear a protruding battery, AND provide the clearance needed to snap in.

Correct you are...I wasn't thinking about that ability.

Upvote 0
Okay, I'm not sure if this means anything, and I'm also not sure if this has been discussed- I couldn't find reference to it, but according to Phonearena, the PB31200 went through FCC testing with baseband version 0.40.00.12.21, and software version 0.62.0.0. Here's a link:

Image from "HTC PB31200 jumps through the FCC flaunting CDMA bands"

The photo of the software settings screen on the Incredible shows a baseband version of 0.81.00.01.26, and software version 0.92.605.0. Here's a link:

Exclusive HTC Incredible Photos (Update: Video)

For those that are familliar with the software progression in these phones, does this mean that the PB31200 is likely not the Incredible, or is the large difference in software version numbers (assuming that new versions are numbered sequentially) meaningless with respect to the likelihood that these are indeed the same phone?

Upvote 0
Just a side note, but i'm really really glad to see all the first time posters and former "lurkers"...it says something that this topic (HTC Incredible) has made so many people decide to become active participants in the community and I encourage all the others out there reading this and "lurking" to join up, say hi, contribute your thoughts, etc...
I'm another lurker. Reason is I don't have much to offer nor think a "wish list" provides much. I'm generally an early adopter and usually pay too much for something that sucks. What I look forward in these forums is information. Hopefully not gossip or BS. I currently use my Treo 755p for Audible & Handy shopper & my (active) BB Storm(1) for a couple of games. phone & some web. I stopped "updating" the Storm some time ago as leaks and hybrids were a daily occurrence that didn't help the actual performance. I've 65 days (yes I'm counting) before I can update, which is good if the Incredible comes to Vz in March I will have the opportunity to see what the good & bad are. I'm going to stay with VZ & get the Android. Only decision is which one.

Upvote 0
I sure hope this phone or something similar comes out on VZW soon! My LG Dare stopped charging today so I'm trying to figure out what I should do. Went into the Verizon Store and they told me to wait until Friday and upgrade then because that's when I can use my NE2. I told him I was waiting for the HTC Incredible or the Nexus One..he just gave me a blank stare and told me to file an insurance claim online to get a new phone. Wish I didn't have to spend $50 on another crappy Dare. Any suggestions?

Upvote 0
I sure hope this phone or something similar comes out on VZW soon! My LG Dare stopped charging today so I'm trying to figure out what I should do. Went into the Verizon Store and they told me to wait until Friday and upgrade then because that's when I can use my NE2. I told him I was waiting for the HTC Incredible or the Nexus One..he just gave me a blank stare and told me to file an insurance claim online to get a new phone. Wish I didn't have to spend $50 on another crappy Dare. Any suggestions?

if you've been paying for the insurance this long, you should really file that claim, pay the 50, get a replacement and either use it as a back up or sell it... you could probably get 150-200 for it on ebay.

they dont know squat in the verizon stores.

Upvote 0
Okay, I'm not sure if this means anything, and I'm also not sure if this has been discussed- I couldn't find reference to it, but according to Phonearena, the PB31200 went through FCC testing with baseband version 0.40.00.12.21, and software version 0.62.0.0. Here's a link:

Image from "HTC PB31200 jumps through the FCC flaunting CDMA bands"

The photo of the software settings screen on the Incredible shows a baseband version of 0.81.00.01.26, and software version 0.92.605.0. Here's a link:

Exclusive HTC Incredible Photos (Update: Video)

For those that are familliar with the software progression in these phones, does this mean that the PB31200 is likely not the Incredible, or is the large difference in software version numbers (assuming that new versions are numbered sequentially) meaningless with respect to the likelihood that these are indeed the same phone?

The phone that was tested had a test date of Dec 17th-Jan 27th. The phone could have been updated several times while the one for the test didn't get the updates. Might be why the rumors start early Dec because the phone was built and headed to be tested.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Anywho. So my guess is the incredible coming out on March 15th. Just a guess. Hoping that the recent fcc filing is it and thinking they want it out before the nexus.

any other guesses/theories.

go ahead and check my spelling. or respond to the question, but lets talk phones please.

It was a guess, but the devour is releasing to the masses on march 15th.
ALONG WITH THE INCREDIBLE!
Still a guess, but i bet i made your heart miss a beat...ha

(Remember the Droid released along with eris. Same philosophy)

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones