• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Optimus Elite root with an apk

would it take multiple tries on poot to get it done, i've attempted 10x as of now, still fail, hopefully get it right the next time around

poot details

[-] Error running kernel mode
[-] FaIled to clean up our mess
[-] current && current != last + 1: 0000ffff
0000ffff
[-] Haxx has run its course. Reboot the device to play again

A demon materialized while pooting. Error code: 87
su binary was not written
You need to restart your device

built in rootcheck details:

Path is:
"/sbin:/vendor/bin:/system/sbin:/system/bin:/system/xbin"

found "/system/xbin/su"
-rwsr-sr-x root root 2234 2012-10-0
14:02 su

"/system/xbin" is the first su found
Anything else would be uncivilized

i always get this error :confused::confused:

rhyrhyrhy:

uhm i dont think thats an error - that message means you already are rooted (the existence of an su binary in /system/xbin means root). Install Superuser from the market to complete the process.

yes it is rooted, i was just too paranoid to realize it haha, thank you so much giantpune you are the best, tnx as well modularity

B
Your dad's phone "lost its root" because of fail-program you installed. It created a file called "/system/bin/su", but most likely didn't give it suid attributes. you can still use the su binary that was installed with poot by calling it by name. Unless you deleted it, this will give you a root adb shell. Use that to undo whatever it was you did that broke it.
Code:
adb shell
/system/xbin/su

So what else do i need to do? what script in adb should i run to fix it? or at least delete the other su in /bin? Was trying some other code but says permission denied thank u.

Did you get root when you ran /system/xbin/su? Then as giantpune implied delete the other su then reboot - it should be fine then.

B

So what else do i need to do? what script in adb should i run to fix it? or at least delete the other su in /bin? Was trying some other code but says permission denied thank u.

Did you get root when you ran /system/xbin/su? Then as giantpune implied delete the other su then reboot - it should be fine then.

can you explain a bit more regarding the process? will be highly appreciated. I don't quite understand the sequence. so yes I can do the adb shell. then:

$ /system/xbin/su
/system/xbin/su

after which, what will I do?

thank you. I have no intention to ask for spoonfeeding, but this is the first time I've encountered this problem. thank you.

and by the way, have I mentioned, that it does have superuser, but the binary is just legacy.

EDIT:

okay, so finally I did it! thanks for your help!

as well as giantpune, thank you very, very much.

so what I did was as you guys stated... then

$ /system/xbin/su
/system/xbin/su
# mount -o remount rw /system/
mount -o remount rw /system/
# rm /system/bin/su
rm /system/bin/su

and it worked like a charm :)

New at this. Poot seemed to work great. But then i screwed it up with Rom Manager i think. REALLY screwed it up. I got a replacement phone and am wondering a couple of things before doing this again...

1. is it at all possible that it was poot that put me into "Download Mode. Do not uplug..." screen?

2. Do i need Rom Manager if im just using the root for tether and other basic things?

3. Will an update from my phones provider mess up the root?

Rom Manager did not have the Optimus Elite in its list and i stupidly chose one i thought was close. AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

dont do that. :[

Stupid questions that would make me feel stupiderer if i didnt ask them.

thanks.

No. No, Yes.

You broke your phone when you lied to rom manager. It was not poot or rom manager that broke it, it was entirely you.

Just wanted to say thanks on this method! It worked great and in only a little over a couple hours was able to root, backup, flash rom, and get my phone back with all its original apps!

quick question...I have rooted the phone..and have root exp installed, the terminal emu, and used a checker called got root, when i run it it says starting tests...
successfully located "su"on the device...successfully obtained root privileges through "su" additional tests...failed to locate busybox on the device..i can get busy box on it..but wondering how do i change the stupid virgin mobile shit..like for example different themes and start ups etc.

quick question...I have rooted the phone..and have root exp installed, the terminal emu, and used a checker called got root, when i run it it says starting tests...
successfully located "su"on the device...successfully obtained root privileges through "su" additional tests...failed to locate busybox on the device..i can get busy box on it..but wondering how do i change the stupid virgin mobile shit..like for example different themes and start ups etc.

Either change them yourself or flash a ROM that already has them changed.

If you want to change the theme yourself, pull the framework-res.apk and the SystemUI.apk, then upload them to UOTKitchen and make the changes, then plug them into a ROM and flash it. To delete the startup sound, just delete the Poweron.mp3

I try to use this for w100. but i always got an error.

[-] Error running kernel mode
[-] FaIled to clean up our mess
[-] current && current != last + 1: 0000ffff
0000ffff
[-] Haxx has run its course. Reboot the device to play again

Built-in rootcheck

no su was found in $PATH

By the way thanks for this OP.

Sup im new here and i got this lg optimus elite rooted,,i have the terminal installed..as well as the root explorer..and cwm..i have quik boot installed, did a back up..and can boot in to cwm etc..i d/l hashtags custom rom and want to install it to give it a try..my concern is i never goth the msl do i need it?..didnt think i did cuz from reading it seemed like perhaps u needed it to install cwm..not sure but i ran the terminal etc and did what it said as far as the md5 etc all matched and it did the partion etc..closed it out..hashtag told me to install the busybox to system/xbin etc which i did..all seems ready to go just wanna make sure i ddidnt need the msl or left anything out..any help would b appreciated..thanx

Im rooted,

Sup im new here and i got this lg optimus elite rooted thanks it worked great,,i have the terminal installed..as well as the root explorer..and cwm..i have quik boot installed, did a back up..and can boot in to cwm etc..i d/l hashtags custom rom and want to install it to give it a try..my concern is i never goth the msl do i need it?..didnt think i did cuz from reading it seemed like perhaps u needed it to install cwm..not sure but i ran the terminal etc and did what it said as far as the md5 etc all matched and it did the partion etc..closed it out..hashtag told me to install the busybox to system/xbin etc which i did..all seems ready to go just wanna make sure i ddidnt need the msl or left anything out..any help would b appreciated..thanx

Im rooted,

Sup im new here and i got this lg optimus elite rooted thanks it worked great,,i have the terminal installed..as well as the root explorer..and cwm..i have quik boot installed, did a back up..and can boot in to cwm etc..i d/l hashtags custom rom and want to install it to give it a try..my concern is i never goth the msl do i need it?..didnt think i did cuz from reading it seemed like perhaps u needed it to install cwm..not sure but i ran the terminal etc and did what it said as far as the md5 etc all matched and it did the partion etc..closed it out..hashtag told me to install the busybox to system/xbin etc which i did..all seems ready to go just wanna make sure i ddidnt need the msl or left anything out..any help would b appreciated..thanx

With the new methods you don't need msl. If you are rooted and have installed custom recovery and rom you are good to go.

Recently pooted per directions and installed SU from the play store. Keep getting a 'fail' when 'copying su to /system'. And I don't think I'm rooted as I cannot move apps to sd. (which is why I wanted to root) Any thoughts here?

Thanks all!

EDIT: Root checker confirms the device has root access. So I'm still confused. :)

Recently pooted per directions and installed SU from the play store. Keep getting a 'fail' when 'copying su to /system'. And I don't think I'm rooted as I cannot move apps to sd. (which is why I wanted to root) Any thoughts here?

Thanks all!

Regular Apps to SD doesn't work on this phone, rooted or not.

Depending on what purpose you want this for, you can look into using Directory Bind (Google it).

Back
Top Bottom