• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

OTA update 4.1.2 pushed 11/25/13

I just did the update, and noticed something. For those of you who have the G-Shock watches, you will now get GMail notifications on your watch!

Interestingly enough, my watch said I had 3 unread GMail messages, but I had none on my main account. I wonder if the phone is disobeying the "do not notify" on my secondary account.

ETA: The watch does indeed notify if you get a message in ANY of your gmail accounts, even if you have that account set to not notify. This might make the watch useless for notification. I have a gmail account that I send all of my mailing list emails, website notifications, etc. to, and I need it on my phone so I can read those msgs when I'm at work. I get a message every few minutes to that account - I can't have it notify for every one.

When I check for updates I get this message, "Error A download error has occurred for your software update. Please try again later." I've been getting this ever since I got the phone in June. Does anyone else get this? No update has been pushed to my phone yet. I'm not rooted.

I only thought it was fixed, it's still borked. Here is what I did:

I realized I was pushing power+vol down+tactical key. Should have been pushing the up key. Anyhow, I booted into the stock recovery, the one with the only option to wipe data. Once this was done I rebooted to the setup screen. I left the setup wizard immediately. I went to settings, assured myself that usb debugging was checked. Signed into google and downloaded flashify and reinstalled the CWM recovery, rebooted into recovery and restored Doctoror's backup. Wiped & rebooted.

I thought everything was good, but I'm having the same issues. If it goes to sleep it won't wake back up, I have to use adb to reboot into recovery and do a data wipe to get it back going, and then I'm back to square one. Sometimes it just locks up in the middle of something and it's the same deal.

Hopefully Androidher0 and tinhte will be able to create an update.zip for 4.1.2, cause this isn't working. I've done something bad and corrupted something. I've even used flashify to restore the boot.img, but it's still the same. Never seen anything like this, a phone that half works...

I have successfully packaged zip but it was not working, I will convert the img file, I have brick machine after running the update package

Hey man I tried doing the update after a temporary unroot and am also stuck at the white Verizon logo screen. The update got to about 35% and then the phone rebooted. The Vol + Tactile Power combo is not doing anything for me. Going to the white screen and freezing every time. Am I doing something wrong with the button combination? I'm holding all three down as the phone powers on and continually after that but it boots to the white screen each time. Think I might have a bricking situation here.

UPDATE: Found this page on the Verizon site which says to use Volume Up + Power + Menu Key. This also did nothing for me and my phone went to the white logo screen and froze.

When connecting to my computer via USB I was able to install the Software Upgrade Assistant, but it wasn't able to find the new update or otherwise communicate with my phone. ADB device is not showing up in Device Manager. If it was I could use SDKtools to reboot into recovery maybe.

Still FUBAR....

UPDATE 2: Finally got it to boot into the recovery using the key combination. Did the data wipe and reset. When booting back up still hangs at white Verizon screen. Soft brick it seems. Can't figure out what else to do at this point.

I've got the OTA ready to go. However I've modified my phone with root and the incoming call fix. So I don't know if I need to get CWM installed for a fresh 4.0.4 FW then update to 4.1.2? However then how can I root with 4.1.2??

I've got the OTA ready to go. However I've modified my phone with root and the incoming call fix. So I don't know if I need to get CWM installed for a fresh 4.0.4 FW then update to 4.1.2? However then how can I root with 4.1.2??

You'll risk getting bricked if you run OTA with custom recvoery.
I'll personally wait will there be a zip.

I have successfully packaged zip but it was not working, I will convert the img file, I have brick machine after running the update package

Is it hard or soft brick?
When will you update the img?

Still FUBAR....

UPDATE 2: Finally got it to boot into the recovery using the key combination. Did the data wipe and reset. When booting back up still hangs at white Verizon screen. Soft brick it seems. Can't figure out what else to do at this point.

If you are the original owner and a Verizon customer call them and get a warranty exchange. If ADB can't communicate with it then USB debugging is not checked. You are probably not going to be able to overcome this without some kind of factory tool that its not available in the wild.

You'll risk getting bricked if you run OTA with custom recvoery.
I'll personally wait will there be a zip.

Is it hard or soft brick?
When will you update the img?

I don't have CWM installed. But I modified the phone with the incoming call fix and some files are missing. If anyone is still on 4.0.4 and can send me the stock /system folder? If I wait for a update.zip, I don't have CWM installed. Is that simple to do?

If you have had the CWM recovery on your phone, even if you have flashed back to stock, do not run the update or you will have big problems. I was able to half fix mine but now I have the wrong baseband and whenever I try to turn the cellular radios on the phone bootloops. Its a weird kind of bootloop where the phone will completely boot up and then reboot. I'm thinking if someone could extract the stock vzw baseband I could flash it and fix it. This could result in a repair method for this phone.

Back
Top Bottom