• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Post Your Last Purchase

H6927061_a1

As smoking has lost it's popularity, it has become increasingly difficult to find the pipe tobacco I smoke. I have ordered my tobacco for years from a large tobacconist in N.Y. They have been unable to keep my tobacco in stock and have changed suppliers twice in the last year. I have been forced to order from a different vendor. I received my first five pound order today which was a bit more expensive but at least available. Smoking, especially pipe smoking, is a very small consumer market nowadays and prices reflect that. It's just a bit more of an expensive nasty habit than it was 60 years ago. :)

I have ordered a replacement bug zapper for my cabin that is due for delivery today. The old indoor zapper zapped its last zap a couple of weekends back.
images

I bought a range finder to aid my game of golf. It measures distance by bouncing a laser off of an object. The Bushnell Tour V5 Shift will return an accurate distance measurement up to 1,300 yards and will lock onto the flag on the green up to 400 yards to insure you are shooting the pin and not background beyond the green. It also calculates your elevation in relationship to what you are measuring and give you the distance and the compensation distance for ball flight.
Range finders have been around for some time now but entirely new to me in my return to the game.
images

oh!!!!!!!!! I just got recently massive 18 by 24 black canvases lately, I will paint and show you people on what I can do.
Thinking of like a winter scene.

Do thrift store purchases count?

I have been converting my tech back to the years 2008-14, and my last few purchases:

1. Nintendo Wii-U console (2012)

2. Samsung Galaxy SII Skyrocket (2011)

3. Toshiba 32" LED HDTV/DVD Combo (2009)

4. Vizio 40" LED HDTV (2009)

5. Magnavox 32" LED Smart HDTV (2014)

6. Apple TV 2nd Generation (2010)

7. Unknown origin RCA Streaming box (2011? found in the trash at work)

Do thrift store purchases count?

I have been converting my tech back to the years 2008-14, and my last few purchases:

1. Nintendo Wii-U console (2012)

2. Samsung Galaxy SII Skyrocket (2011)

3. Toshiba 32" LED HDTV/DVD Combo (2009)

4. Vizio 40" LED HDTV (2009)

5. Magnavox 32" LED Smart HDTV (2014)

6. Apple TV 2nd Generation (2010)

7. Unknown origin RCA Streaming box (2011? found in the trash at work)
Every now and then people have come across some rare and valuable items at thrift stores:D:thumbsupdroid:

So the last month I have gone through probably a half dozen ink pens, I was thinking I might have to go and purchase more, however I discovered that I have three unopened packages of ink pens, enough to last the rest of the year and probably through 2023:thumbsupdroid:

Antiques Roadshow ain't got nothing on our local Consumer Mall. That show reminds me more of American Pickers. More like American Picky.

You can buy things ranging from 1950s metal tools, to 1940s era hardwood furniture, to '09-13 LCD TVs, an abundance of DVD players, tube radios, console stereos, classic appliances, books, jewlery, etc. It's like walking into a K-Mart circa ~1973. It's just more proof that there's more than enough used items to cover our needs for many decades. We don't need modern stuff at all. It ain't like new things do anything differently than old things, but the old stuff sure has more character!

For example, why buy new versions of these:

1. extension cords (bucket fulls of used ones there, 50 cents a piece)

2. wall clocks (can be had for $1)

3. tables, beds, chairs, etc ($25-50)

4. tools (pick your name: Sears, Montgomery Ward, B&D, Micronta--they're all here!)

5. washer/dryers (still working too)

*This post made on a PC running Windows XP

Last edited:
Antiques Roadshow ain't got nothing on our local Consumer Mall. That show reminds me more of American Pickers. More like American Picky.

You can buy things ranging from 1950s metal tools, to 1940s era hardwood furniture, to '09-13 LCD TVs, an abundance of DVD players, tube radios, console stereos, classic appliances, books, jewlery, etc. It's like walking into a K-Mart circa ~1973. It's just more proof that there's more than enough used items to cover our needs for many decades. We don't need modern stuff at all. It ain't like new things do anything differently than old things, but the old stuff sure has more character!

For example, why buy new versions of these:

1. extension cords (bucket fulls of used ones there, 50 cents a piece)

2. wall clocks (can be had for $1)

3. tables, beds, chairs, etc ($25-50)

4. tools (pick your name: Sears, Montgomery Ward, B&D, Micronta--they're all here!)

5. washer/dryers (still working too)

*This post made on a PC running Windows XP

Plus, the old stuff still seems to be around and made better than this new era crap.

Plus, the old stuff still seems to be around and made better than this new era crap.
Years ago I was in comic book shop (1988) flipping through the 25 cent boxes. I was mostly into X-Men, spiderman and Batman. While going through various boxes I came across the fantastic four#1 (the 1961 edition) in fairly good condition. Pick it up look at it and put it back in some box.i continue to browse grab some comics and left.
Later on that evening during dinner my father was talking about something and it hit me what I had in my hands (value wise) I ran back to the comic store and search in vain for that comic that was 1988 . The value of the comic back then based upon condition would have been around $3,500-$8,000:blushDroid: today between $80k and over $100k

Years ago I was in comic book shop (1988) flipping through the 25 cent boxes. I was mostly into X-Men, spiderman and Batman. While going through various boxes I came across the fantastic four#1 (the 1961 edition) in fairly good condition. Pick it up look at it and put it back in some box.i continue to browse grab some comics and left.
Later on that evening during dinner my father was talking about something and it hit me what I had in my hands (value wise) I ran back to the comic store and search in vain for that comic that was 1988 . The value of the comic back then based upon condition would have been around $3,500-$8,000:blushDroid: today between $80k and over $100k[/QUOTE

Plus that Stan Lee is gone , i think the prices may rise a lil more now.

They got comics as well. Marvel, D.C., even dating back to 'Action Comics' days. Collectibles, from those, to Star Wars, to Star Trek.

I agree, a lot of the 'old' stuff is made to last. Culture then was quite different. Back then if you made crap you had angry customers and potential bankruptcy. Today, people just accept the crap. I don't know what changed. I do know that when my cheap plastic tools at work ultimately die they're getting replaced by some of those metal power tools. Sure, I won't have the convenience of the battery pack and no wires, but I'd trade all that for quality.

Just went thrifting again, and picked up a 2001 Samsung DVD player for $15. Works fine (takes forever to read a disc but works). It's one of those VCR-sized DVD players with the big display that looks super cool in my audio cabinet.

It's not the first Samsung DVD player that makes horrendous grinding and clicking noises as it struggles to read a disc, but it seems to work flawlessly once it wakes up! I got a 2013 Blu-Ray player that makes the same awful sounds. Works as well though.

Picked up a Wii-U game (Zelda Breath of the Wild) and a replacement PSU for my PS Vita at the MegaReplay, then a Nintendo DSi XL and three DS games at the Secret Castle Toys and Games retro gaming store.

Picked up a Wii-U game (Zelda Breath of the Wild) and a replacement PSU for my PS Vita at the MegaReplay, then a Nintendo DSi XL and three DS games at the Secret Castle Toys and Games retro gaming store.
I did not knew that you could replace the PSU for the Vita, I have one for about seven years..... hmmm.

It's the power brick with the little proprietary USB cable that plugs into it to recharge the battery. I used the thing last year and that cable somehow went missing so I just bought a new power brick.

Back
Top Bottom