• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Post Your Last Purchase

air-jordan-3-desert-elephant-ct8532-008-lateral

Reactions: joe71 and olbriar
Upvote 0
It's the power brick with the little proprietary USB cable that plugs into it to recharge the battery. I used the thing last year and that cable somehow went missing so I just bought a new power brick.
Yeah mine lasted around six years on and off, I only jam out when my hearing aids are charging and when I wanna just head to the bathroom.. sorry a bit tmi.

Upvote 0
Vintage shopping spree for me:

1950s-era GE Tube radio, all-American 5-tube radio. Works like new--appears restored, $35

2009 Vizio 20" LCD HDTV for the dining room, $12.50

2011 Magnavox 26" LCD HDTV for the guest room, $25

Pioneer Computer Controlled Stereo Receiver w/ tape deck, model SX-40, was so obviously 1980s I couldn't resist, in the patio entertainment center now, $49. Speakers needed work, and some capacitors needed reforming, typical dirty controls, but works but tape deck needs belts. Saving that for winter.

Reactions: olbriar
Upvote 0
I know-I watch tons of videos from RadioTVPhonoNut and Shango066 about them. I'm aware of the wax paper capacitors and those 'bumblebee' black beauty capacitors that leak and short.

I took it apart and looked at it. It is as clean as new, tubes looked NoS, and it had been recapped. It plays excellently. I also know never to leave vintage gear plugged in.

The Pioneer needed a lot of work. But boy does that thing sound great when it's fixed! Speakers needed re-coning, the foam to hold them in had long let go so needed re-gluing, and the stereo turned on but nobody home in the audio department except a big ol'e filter capacitor hum, so one needed replacing (dead shorted, got really hot!) then the left/right channels kept dying, requiring an SCR replacement, and it had tons of dirty controls for tone, volume, and balance, but now is running like a champ.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I would say that I'm envious but that would be a gross understatement!
Long story short, we got 2 1/4 barrels for a party and only tapped one. My FIL mentioned he had a CO2 tank and tap, so we'd toss the 2nd one on my garage fridge. Well, they apparently changed the threading on the kegs, so kept leaking. Now that I own a tap, I may set it up permanent.

Upvote 0
More vintage hauls:

70s-era Yorx multiplex AM/FM dual tape deck, 8-track stereo w/ record player. One behemoth of a system with tons of knobs, buttons and sliders. Came with a Fisher component cabinet. This takes the place of a cobbled together system made from Chinesium Crosley junk. The real deal looks so much nicer and is far more satisfying to use!

2x analog 60s-70s clock radios. One a GE AM/FM in excellent shape, the other an 'Audition' (WoolWorth's/Woolco in-house brand) AM stereo that needed some work.

Motorola AM Radio, another All-American 5 tube radio. It has either one bad tube or one bad capacitor--it works, but pops, clicks and gets quite hot. I'm suspecting arcing tube about to fail. Got some spare 12BE6 tubes as well, couldn't find any of the others just yet.

40s era desk fan, has blue/white paint job. It's got that art deco look and still works. Just one speed--hurricane force!

tons of vintage tools all made in USA. Metal drills, flashlights, screwdrivers, hammers, etc. I'm plain sick to death of plastic Chinesium junk.

Westclox Baby Ben keywound alarm clock, made in USA.

Reactions: olbriar
Upvote 0
More vintage hauls:

70s-era Yorx multiplex AM/FM dual tape deck, 8-track stereo w/ record player. One behemoth of a system with tons of knobs, buttons and sliders. Came with a Fisher component cabinet. This takes the place of a cobbled together system made from Chinesium Crosley junk. The real deal looks so much nicer and is far more satisfying to use!

2x analog 60s-70s clock radios. One a GE AM/FM in excellent shape, the other an 'Audition' (WoolWorth's/Woolco in-house brand) AM stereo that needed some work.

Motorola AM Radio, another All-American 5 tube radio. It has either one bad tube or one bad capacitor--it works, but pops, clicks and gets quite hot. I'm suspecting arcing tube about to fail. Got some spare 12BE6 tubes as well, couldn't find any of the others just yet.

40s era desk fan, has blue/white paint job. It's got that art deco look and still works. Just one speed--hurricane force!

tons of vintage tools all made in USA. Metal drills, flashlights, screwdrivers, hammers, etc. I'm plain sick to death of plastic Chinesium junk.

Westclox Baby Ben keywound alarm clock, made in USA.

P&CA:
Some of us have to live with the "Chinesium junk", because that's all there is here. You're lucky as you live in the USA.

BTW wasn't that Yorx made in Hong Kong, or Taiwan, or something?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Definitely check the capacitors, especially any paper caps like the Black Beauties or Hunts, as those can be very prone to leakage. As leakage on a coupling cap is not good especially with valve equipment.

Upvote 0
Oh believe me, as an Avid Shango066 and Radiotvphononut follower, I'm well aware of the "Bumblebee Black Beauty" caps and wax paper garbage. This one specifically has an arcing tube. Kinda a pretty light show though.

I've always been obsessed with and pretty knowlegeable with vintage tech, and always felt like I was born in the wrong generation. Talking to folks about it always gets priceless stares as if they don't expect anyone my age or of my generation to know things like Tube numbers and the term 'Sam's Photofact'

Reactions: mikedt
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones