• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Post Your Last Purchase

It took all morning at the dealership but I drove home with a new battery. They said it had a bad cell. Under warranty but a pain to mess with. It started and I drove home. I'd like to think my trouble is over.
A great deal of weirdness going on to just be a battery. Oh well... I'm keeping my dated paperwork. :)

Upvote 0
I did a thing... ,,,my first preorder since the Nexus 7 tablet in 2012 (I think)
FcWvclwLFfhKyoP8Vl0pwv5JXX640e2-6ZSWsGNy_CZ0WviVHOpP5Y3pJIErjNj3NVvHq-tdlj1DGUUqD0k0WwqKYLEXOG3ObQ=rw-e365-w1010

Upvote 0
I did a thing... ,,,my first preorder since the Nexus 7 tablet in 2012 (I think)
FcWvclwLFfhKyoP8Vl0pwv5JXX640e2-6ZSWsGNy_CZ0WviVHOpP5Y3pJIErjNj3NVvHq-tdlj1DGUUqD0k0WwqKYLEXOG3ObQ=rw-e365-w1010
I'm ridiculously intrigued about this one. My 3a is great still, I don't need a new phone and should at least wait to see how this pans out or wait for a 7a or better yet, do nothing. And yet...

Reactions: Unforgiven
Upvote 0
I'm ridiculously intrigued about this one. My 3a is great still, I don't need a new phone and should at least wait to see how this pans out or wait for a 7a or better yet, do nothing. And yet...
I upgraded my wife's phone from the 3a to the 6a. She's not impressed, but the problem with her phone is social media apps, not the hardware. :mad: Anywho, I got $400 trade, for my S20, $200 credit, and another $60 credit for being a Google one customer, so at the end of the day I spent $199 and got $260 in credit. Otherwise, I would have waited for the 7a or Pixel 8.

Reactions: Clementine_3
Upvote 0
I mean I love the 1970s and all, but why must Android 12+ look like it's intended to be in that decade (those oddly shaped widgets, groovy, man! Far out!)?

Speaking of the '70s, I finally got that Western Electric rotary phone for my wood roll-top desk in my office. It's not the huge black one I hoped for; just the horizontal cream coloured one, but rotary is rotary. Found mixed with tons of 'Crosley' touch tone rotary lookalikes, and Halloween toy rotary 'ghost' phones from Meijer overstock, next to 'haunted' tube radios (more Meijer halloween overstock).

Also vintage tupperware, and '70s Pyrex dishes, floral pattern and all!

Vendors, please, try some organization for christ sake! Putting everything into a pile o' junk is a great way to miss vintage stuff!

Upvote 0
I mean I love the 1970s and all, but why must Android 12+ look like it's intended to be in that decade (those oddly shaped widgets, groovy, man! Far out!)?
Thankfully there is an abundance of icon packs and launchers! I just can't with the stock look. Yuck.

I finally got that Western Electric rotary phone...It's not the huge black one I hoped for...but rotary is rotary
If I had a use for a 'real' phone that's what is what I'd shoot for, I mean come on now, those are great - and the old ones can be used for self defense or straight up murder weapons, they have some heft!

Upvote 0
Not to mention the satisfaction of slamming the receiver down when it's a telemarketer. Trying that on a smartphone guarantees a shattered display.

I'm going to get a real landline active in this home because where I live power failures are common especially during the winter (can last days during an ice storm) and those old phones will continue working in that instance. Plus it goes along with the rest of my home becoming a 1970s time capsule which is a long-time dream of mine.

Reactions: Clementine_3
Upvote 0
It's great so far, but I haven't really played with it. I forgot to put it on the charger last night, woke up and still had 80% battery after all day use yesterday and sitting idle (well, never really idle, but just sitting there) overnight. Caveat, I'm not real hard on phones. Under display fingerprint scanner is at least on par with my S20, occasionally it tries to convince me its as fast as a regular (not under glass) FP scanner. Other times it won't recognize my prints, but IIRC that's normal behavior and gets better over time. If I have chance today I'll register the same prints a second time to see if that helps. Facial recognition seems to work great, albeit silently. I mean, it gives no indication that it works, but your phone is unlocked, which may whats fooling me into thinking the FP scanner is working so well. :thinking:

Screen is nice and clear, and as expected it works well. I haven't played at all with the camera yet, but I can't wait to start deleting people I don't like out of pictures. :p

Reactions: olbriar
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Continuing in my trip back to 1960s-70s retroland, I got two older light fixtures today for the dining room and the kitchen (inspired by scenes I saw in BeWitched) and finally made all the lights incandescent (there's stockpiles of older ones at the vendor malls, as well as lower wattage ones at the Dollar General, getting them before the newest Biden Bulb Ban kicks in! LEDs give me headaches and eye strain, and make it hard to get any sleep if using them before bed, even the warmer ones.)

Also some 1950s-60s era table lamps, with those unique shades. Somehow the light they emit fills the room far better than any modern lamp, LED or otherwise.

I still got one fixture left in the living room to do, and the bathroom fixtures. Also want to replace the annoying EPA showerheads with a 60's one that allows me to waste water If I choose to, and actually cleans my body without me wasting time with whatever slow drip hell the newer ones do. I managed to de-low-flow my toilets the year I moved in, by gutting the works and replacing them with old flush valves, so that's next on the list.

Also recently got a 1960s collection of Tupperware. Complete with the crazy colours and designs of the time. Also some more 8-tracks. I still cannot fix one without the tape exploding into a ball of ribbon yet, but I will one day succeed! I will I say!

What basically happens when I try taking one apart to repair a broken splice at the foil or one that unwound in the player is this:

8_track_tape_mess_youtube.png

Sadly one of my players does this weird failure mode with any Columbia TC8 cartidge ever made, and that's unwind the tape while continuing to play it just fine. The only difference is that programs refuse to switch, and once the tape completely unspools, the music stops, and I am often in for a surprise when pulling it out. Never had one eaten like that. Often they just quit playing before getting to that level of destruction.

Last edited:
Reactions: joe71
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones