• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Post Your Last Purchase

mmexport1677820109026.jpg

Upvote 0
XP, the best workhorse Gates ever built !

I finally retired my Gateway lappy w/Win7 on it, matter of fact, my last desktop build with Win 7 is in a box as well.

I built this machine and put it online in January last year, it has Win 10 and is nagging me to go to 11 !
To be honest I hated Windows XP. At the time I clung to Windows 98SE as I knew it in and out and XP was just slow, bloated, took forever to boot up, and always NAGGED the heck out of you (bubble notifications about EVERYTHING). It also ditched real-mode DOS and I still had games that needed it. The Luna UI was the worst form of early skeuomorphism ever done, enough to look like something Fisher-Price made. For those reasons, I stuck with Win98SE until late 2011 when SSL basically obsoleted its ability to use it online.

By then, Vista and Windows 7 were a thing and had a much nicer UI design and Windows 98 finally got put into my history books.

Just to compare:

Bootup times:

Dell Latitude D531 w/ 1GB RAM, AMD Athlon 64 Dual-Core running Windows XP Home Edition "unofficial SP4" with POSReady updates: 35 minutes! Seriously!

Dell Vostro 1700 with 4GB RAM, Core2Duo CPU running Windows 7 Professional x64 SP1: 10 minutes.

Both 2007 laptops. XP still bloated, slow, and ugly. Albeit better with the higher resolution of the D531 and a properly scaled desktop wallpaper. Still nags about everything though, from updates, to security (solved with AVG Antivirus), low virtual memory, HDD space, desktop icons, start menu items, the works. XP still sucks but trying to make that laptop run Windows 7 with 1GB RAM would be worse.

Reactions: Milo Williamson
Upvote 0
Another vintage trip:

Arvin Electric Transistor AM/FM radio, from the early 1970s. Works without issue, and is my bathroom radio now. Tuned to a classic 80's music station

No-name (as in no brand on it) 1970s-era Weather Alert Radio. Needed a wiring issue (the 9V DuraLEAK was left inside it and rotted the connector away) fixed but honestly still works, ALERT light and all. Doesn't wake you up for stupid Amber alerts from five states away either. If there's an alert, it simply illuminates an LED and you push 'WEATHER' and listen. Was extremely handy keeping me informed about the storms on Friday, including two tornado warnings and 50 MPH wind gusts.

Taylor 1960s-era desktop weather station, basically a hygrometer, barometer and thermometer in 'steam gauge' form. FYI if your barometer suddenly has its needle at the 6 O'clock position, you better take shelter.

All-metal made in USA Tackle Box. I don't fish for obvious reasons, but they make handy bolt/nut organizers.

More vintage ratchets, wrenches and allens.

Upvote 0
sorry one more post about XP and I will be done hijacking ...

XP was the go to for emulating a flash for the football cards back in the "free satellite" viewing days ...

unloopers/writers/bootstraps/ ... Try using one of them with Gates stuff now ...

BTW: the crane for the garage showed up yesterday, I got a full plate for today and that toy is not on the list ...

o_O

Upvote 0
Just a simple vintage desk fan for the kitchen. Just needed minor repair of the thrust washer in the shaded-pole motor (was MIA) and the switch reconnected (glad I discovered it before plugging it in!) and it's fine. It's old enough to be copper blades and steel body. Possibly 1940s? Got a bit of Art Deco on the base going. It replaces a cheaper 'modern vintage' that has those stupid fused plugs and the annoying polarized plugs. I prefer plugging my things in any way I please. No more idiot proofing!

Reactions: Milo Williamson
Upvote 0
@treb1797 please do not get caught up in the Shoe game, it can get pretty expensive....... it's too late for me so just trying to save you :ROFLMAO:
Because my mother-in-law worked at Nike we get the employee discount pricing. Only paid $70 for these Jordan Luka 1's and next day shipping included.

Reactions: olbriar
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones