• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Post Your Last Purchase

I wish my mother had actual taste in decor. She is a big fan of the 'modern white hospital' trend. Her home is all white, with grey fake wood floors, with lighter grey IKEA style furniture all made in China, and white lamps that resemble sorta the '50s style but look like crap compared with a true lamp from the '50s, and bright 5000K LEDs everywhere. If I stay too long I get actual headaches.

Reactions: Milo Williamson
Upvote 0
2009 Dell Latitude D6500 business laptop. $49. Windows 7 Pro, 150GB HDD, tons of features (including auto brightness, smart card support, PC card, 4 USB ports, modem/ethernet port, Wifi, SD card reader, lighted keyboard, trackpoint, and more) adding to my 2009-14 tech collection (replacing a laptop that I got from my recently deceased grandmother that up and died as I was attempting to reset it--HDD failure)

20230203_164959.jpg

Upvote 0
JUST got that damn Dell reconfigured. Some idiot had it thinking it was on a domain and then on top of that, some Trend Micro crap bloatware running and uninstall required a password I didn't have. It was eating 80% the CPU utilization and kept forcing the laptop into thermal shutdown (~90C!!!) and almost EOL'd the battery. I thought 'hey, I'll just take ownership of the folder and DELETE'. Well, nope. BSOD and now refused to boot. Yay now I had to hunt down a Windows 7 ISO image online and hope it boots off USB.

Well, 12 hours and a headache later it's running even better than the Windows 10 2013 Dell my stepdad gave me that I had themed to look like Vista. Runs hotter than a firecracker though, 70 celcius just playing YouTube. Fan ain't dirty, appears to work, vents clear, but it's like they got the fan set to only come on after the thing is near overheating.

Have to disable battery charging at 99% (fn + F2) otherwise it goes into thermal runaway and then flashes 'fatal battery error' until a cool down and restart. Battery otherwise holds charge fine and still has roughly 2.5 hours of runtime in balanced mode, and it's dated 2010 like the laptop. They sure don't make 'em like that anymore.

Upvote 0
My Bubbles (rabbit) has these weird skin lesions right on the nape of his neck. The fur there is gone and it's all scabbed over. No blood, drainage or leaking/abcess and he acts like everything is normal. We don't have rabbit vets here at all. I've never seen this before. I can't think of anything he could have been exposed to that would cause this. His right ear is also kinda covered in similar lesions inside the ear. The outside has zero fur. I have been keeping an eye on him for over a week (and he's quite annoyed at me too) and he still acts normal, binkies and lying down relaxed, eating and drinking fine, pooping fine. Body heat normal. It doesn't look like it's getting worse, but still...o_O:eek:

Upvote 0
My Bubbles (rabbit) has these weird skin lesions right on the nape of his neck. The fur there is gone and it's all scabbed over. No blood, drainage or leaking/abcess and he acts like everything is normal. We don't have rabbit vets here at all. I've never seen this before. I can't think of anything he could have been exposed to that would cause this. His right ear is also kinda covered in similar lesions inside the ear. The outside has zero fur. I have been keeping an eye on him for over a week (and he's quite annoyed at me too) and he still acts normal, binkies and lying down relaxed, eating and drinking fine, pooping fine. Body heat normal. It doesn't look like it's getting worse, but still...o_O:eek:
If it's not seriously effecting his quality of life, I would let him be, it might be that his body can heal it's self.

Upvote 0
My most recent purchase is a laparoscopic cholecystectomy, otherwise known as keyhole gall bladder removal. Scheduled for Monday morning.

Due to this inconvenience, my family will be celebrating Valentine's Day tomorrow instead of the 14th.
I hear you buddy, just had dental work done... Laparascopic Cholecystectomy it is really hard to deal with.. In my prayers for your recovery.

Upvote 0
My most recent purchase is a laparoscopic cholecystectomy, otherwise known as keyhole gall bladder removal, scheduled for Monday morning.

Due to this inconvenience, my family will be celebrating Valentine's Day tomorrow instead of the 14th.

My surgery went well. At home resting/recovering until the 27th at least.

Upvote 0
Just the usual Wednesday grocery shopping at the one Kroger left in town that's stuck in 1978. I love that place. It's got the items in the same places, so getting in and out is fast. I'm so over the whole 'supermart' concept that happened to Walmart (RIP Kmart) and various others. Give me old school any day.

There's a town near me that is stuck in the 60s-early 80s. Beech Grove and Sebree, KY. I go there on weekends. The general store in Beech Grove is like right out of the Andy Griffith Show, with wood floors, shelves, and that smell. Also props for mechanical gas pumps. None of this complicated crap like "GSTV" that is just ads in your face as you pump your gas. This is minimalism done right. pull pump switch, place handle in tank, watch the numbers roll over. What's more simple?

I'm gonna stay like this for as long as it lasts. My last refuge from the dystopian 'future' that everyone wants me to be dragged into. I want nothing to do with the World Economic Forum. I will embrace life as my great grandparents raised me into.

I still want a B-Body Chrysler Cordoba though, but I think that Obama crushed all of 'em. Would fit right in that town.

Upvote 0
Honestly, the only thing I actually miss from the 80's are the TV shows, movies, and music. I certainly don't miss CP/M, Tandy DeskMate, Windows 1.x or Amiga WorkBench 1.x. Anyone who calls Flat UI Design 'modern' gets the obligatory images of flat UI back in the 80s when it made sense (hardware limitations). Ain't nothin' modern about it.

Embrace the Yamaha DX7, but leave the IBM 5170 behind!

Upvote 0
I hear that! I have two because the height of my truck varies so with what's loaded in the back.
It has both 2" ball (8,000lbs) and 2 5/8" ball (10,000lbs), so I can just flip it for the other size. 8" of heigh difference, which if I flipped the whole thing is really 16" I don't really see a need for any other hitch. Well, I don't see myself ever needing a pintle hitch, but if ever, I'll one off that. :p

Reactions: AugieTN and olbriar
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones