• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Rant Thread - What really grinds your gears?

That doesn't apply to the idiot who is sitting there futzing with phone or texting. Move your butt so others can get through the light.

I also drive an older pickup. I don't like the newer stuff. Never was impressed by speed since we had curvy roads that the muscle cars couldn't handle above the speed limit. I prefer a well handling car and not the newer ones, either.
Well there's always a new well handling car. I'm told the new Navara actually has one of the best handles for a pickup.

Whatever the Lexus uses for stability and braking makes me carsick. The old Infiniti didn't. Had the same problem with any US luxury car years ago.

The Vulcan is so worried about hurting his back, he swerves around the smallest pothole which will contribute to nausea.
I heard an hour's worth of ranting once about tar snakes when we were on the road to Barringer Crater. He didn't like the thump-thump when you drove over them. This was with the Infiniti.

Truck is a 4WD stick. I happen to like making my own decisions, right or wrong.

I'm addicted to workarounds in tech that let you have your own way.

Today's grind.........(What hasn't been already said about cable companies, why should I even bother?):mad:

For the half a dozen stations my parents actually care to watch, their monthly cable bill is obscene.......Highway robbery. (Yes, other services also part of the package, but Cheese and Rice it adds up!!!!)

On a semi regular basis, the monthly figure creeps a little higher, with no added benefit. When the bill came today, it was almost $25 more than the prior month, and you betcha' a phone call was made. The customer service rep. explained that my parents' "customer loyalty" discount had run its course, and the new rate was indeed correct.
One would think that a "customer loyalty" policy would never be the sort of thing that could simply vanish, in fact it might even benefit the "loyal customer / anemic host organism" slightly more with each passing year.

One residence, ongoing, uninterrupted service since 1972.......To think what the grand total must be by now. GRRRRRRRRR!

And P.S. Am seriously reconsidering earlier statement "addiction definitely a disease". On reflection, am not as confident of that as when typed it. Feels rather insensitive to anyone suffering from a "traditional" disease which befell them, through no fault of their own; Cancer, viral infection, Alzheimer's, etc. Hard for me to lump addicts in the exact same pile, not sure what to think.

Not going to argue the addiction thing... I have too many loved ones who are addicted to stuff.

As for the cable thing: many moons ago, I cancelled the satellite dish when I realized that I was essentially paying for only two or three channels... I took some of that savings and upped the internet connection, and have been fine ever since.

Yes, l have Netflix and Amazon Prime, but I already had the one service at the time and the other I got for reasons other than for video.

I'm in the throes of figuring out what to do about cable here too. My bill went up as well and I barely get any TV service anyway, just the basic basic basic stations. I've tried a few antennas but they really aren't getting good reception so now I have to decide whether to kill the TV part but, if I do, my bill will only go down about $8 even though it's $16 on my current package. Yup. If I kill the TV then my internet goes up with no change to speed. Ugh. I hate them. I do have Netflix, Amazon Prime, MLB, NHL, Chromecast & Roku so it's not like I wouldn't have anything to watch but really, I'm just cross at cable!

Whatever car I currently own is the best...

No, I'd love my Spitfire back.

As for cable, they gave up on us. I'd keep telling them that all I wanted was baseball and not movies. They didn't like that, couldn't sell ads. UnAmerican according to Adelphia.

I just can't sit there and stare at the TV for a movie. Read an article about only 6 plots currently in use, you figure out which in the first 5 minutes and go grab a book, your drawing pad, etc.

http://motherboard.vice.com/read/computers-find-that-there-are-six-plots

If the baseball announcer knows how to call a radio game, you don't need to watch - just listen for instant replay.

My mother and sister-in-law did just fine LISTENING to soap operas on the radio.

There is plenty of free stuff for streaming - check out a Roku site just to see how much. I suppose the other services have the same. I would have no problem paying for what I want, that's only fair, but all the Vulcan would want is the Golf channel. If it is ever put out a la MLB, I'll get it for him.

I've got ant piles, clouds and birds to watch outside. Crafts and hobbies inside. I don't need the TV.

Djeesh... Why are cats so curious yet stubborn? How much longer before they are willing to try the cat flap in the back door, to go in and out?!
All the things I have tried so far to lure them through that hole. Yes, that flap moves when you shove it with your nose. :rolleyes:

The Spitfire was an awesome car.

...until you wanted to repair it.

I have continually kicked myself in the rear for selling off my CRX HF... Partly because I undervalued it when I put it up for sale, but mostly because our ha all the mileage years before hybrids came on the market.

An un-air-conditioned vehicle in the desert, though? Especially one which averaged a year between rear-endings... No, too much.

Pleased to hear someone else express that they make efforts to truncate their writing, then think about what got left on the cutting room floor; Need to work on it myself. ;)
Unfortunately, completely addicted to the sound of my own voice, please help me kick!!!!!

A few random, quick as I can:rolleyes:
I want my Alfa Romeo back.....badly!
Who is the cable knucklehead that told you desire for only baseball un-American? Only appropriate response....."Yeah, well so's my mother; And apple pie, too". Idea that you can be quite happy listening to game on radio very true, apt metaphor for all the other sentiments expressed.

Me, I'm not always proactive about seeking out real life, better entertainment options; Television fills a need. A great mix of both passive and participatory entertainment. Mostly, I want no role in programming. I'm tired, want to push the red button, roll the dice, and see what comes up, work one thumb and not much more. Destination television is just that; You set sails in a direction, you usually get there, no surprises; I want semi-random, without any effort. Once I have palette of random, can "grab the tuner knob" on the front of the set and clackety-clack 'round and 'round; Rapid multitask between four best options, far easier than other kinds of services. Lately, best entertainment comes from Wikipedia. Go for a particular destination, get lost down the rabbit hole that branches off, and branches off again.
I am like one of my previous cats :).....sweet but dim-witted, she would always get her tail pinched in the little door, "negative stimulus aversion training" every time:oops: So soured by experience with cable companies, I stubbornly refuse to go through that door. I just expect other services trading one problem for another, one disappointment for another....my issue to get over.

Return to original intent of this thread.......Cable companies; With so many so unhappy, you would think the marketplace would have croaked them long ago. Remind anyone else of Microsoft? Don't get me started, I will blow a blood vessel!

Pleased to hear someone else express that they make efforts to truncate their writing, then think about what got left on the cutting room floor; Need to work on it myself. ;)
Unfortunately, completely addicted to the sound of my own voice, please help me kick!!!!!

Who is the cable knucklehead that told you desire for only baseball un-American? Only appropriate response....."Yeah, well so's my mother; And apple pie, too". Idea that you can be quite happy listening to game on radio very true, apt metaphor for all the other sentiments expressed.

Me, I'm not always proactive about seeking out real life, better entertainment options; Television fills a need. A great mix of both passive and participatory entertainment. Mostly, I want no role in programming. I'm tired, want to push the red button, roll the dice, and see what comes up, work one thumb and not much more. Destination television is just that; You set sails in a direction, you usually get there, no surprises; I want semi-random, without any effort. Once I have palette of random, can "grab the tuner knob" on the front of the set and clackety-clack 'round and 'round; Rapid multitask between four best options, far easier than other kinds of services. Lately, best entertainment comes from Wikipedia. Go for a particular destination, get lost down the rabbit hole that branches off, and branches off again.
I am like one of my previous cats :).....sweet but dim-witted, she would always get her tail pinched in the little door, "negative stimulus aversion training" every time:oops: So soured by experience with cable companies, I stubbornly refuse to go through that door. I just expect other services trading one problem for another, one disappointment for another....my issue to get over.

Return to original intent of this thread.......Cable companies; With so many so unhappy, you would think the marketplace would have croaked them long ago. Remind anyone else of Microsoft? Don't get me started, I will blow a blood vessel!
The only reason cable companies don't go out of business is toothless antitrust laws that let them merge with or buy out their competitors until they become regional monopolies. If you're lucky you might have a choice between two bad options. Time Warner just got bought out to become an even bigger monolith. I'm sure that will improve their horrible customer service and ridiculous pricing. :rolleyes:

Some idiotic salesperson. They got answered rudely after that, and ignored totally once we got an answering machine.

We are still basically OTA. Which means a lot le

People who politely temper their language, when ferocious outrage only reasonable response. ; )

Lout....? Perhaps the word carries far more weight in your locale.

People who politely temper their language, when ferocious outrage only reasonable response. ; )

Lout....? Perhaps the word carries far more weight in your locale.

I don't particularly want to lower myself to their level. I got enough verbal abuse from someone in a car park today, so the news item caught my interest. It also highlights the dangers of engaging with this type of neanderthal. I simply drove off, leaving the said scumbag fuming, and spewing profanities.

Finding out for myself that shit rolls downhill.

Not looking forward to work on Monday. But hey, I may get the rest of the week off... And all the time after that

Finding out for myself that shit rolls downhill.

Not looking forward to work on Monday. But hey, I may get the rest of the week off... And all the time after that

Suck. Well, good luck! If it's any consolation, statistically, people who are let go tend to get into bigger and better things.

Definitely not advocating real life angry confrontation......Generally agree with all sentiments expressed above. Mostly just teasing. In the context of a forum environment, on a thread dedicated to blowing off steam, discussing a past and distant event of such egregious, nasty behavior.......Let 'er rip, man! ;)

On topic:
Hit and run drivers. Discovered fresh damage to my truck this morning. It took some serious power to bend my (heavy steel, plated) bumper, not just a gentle nudge. You hit me, you gotta' know you hit me, and you drove away. Gosh darned mischievous scamp! :D

You may not have been around when my little car was hit-and-run... It wasn't pretty. Actually, it totaled my car!

That sucks! It's common in our school car park for cars to get dinged and nobody owns up.
The 'best' one though was when a van ran into the back of my wife's car, and the scumbag later denied being at the scene.
I now have dashcams front and rear on both of our cars. So come on, let's see you try to weasel your way out of paying up now!

Yeah, the messed up thing was, I was driving it at the time! 5 AM, I'm tooling along on an empty road at 55mph and bam! Literally did not see it coming, nor did I see him going.

I would have needed a rear camera for that one. If I had any disposable cash, I'd consider a dash cam or two, though.

I HAD an HTC Desire 626. Having a 13Mp camera I used it primarily for that purpose. About a month ago I received a notification that it was eligible for an upgrade to MM. Having never owned a device that was even remotely eligible for an OTA update, I bit. Half way through the update it stopped with an error. We've all seen it. What it said next was befuddling, "remove battery and replace and try update again" or something very close to that. Here's the thing, the HTC Desire 626 has an enclosed battery compartment. THIS IS A HUGE PET PEEVE FOR ME. Just for reasons like this. When I decide it's nighty, night time in a hurry a battery pull is always my go to. Needless to say, I am very good at following directions. I presented the gnarled and broken battery to the device as if it was a still beating heart, like in the horror movies. I may have anger issues, but this isn't the thread for that. ;)

Back
Top Bottom