• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Remove bloatware

Did you rename it with .bak?

I added the .bak to the original file name (ie. amazonmp3.apk.bak) or whatever it's called and it still shows up in the app drawer.

I've got Handcent installed and I'm getting double notifications for texts. I get one for Handcent and one for the stock Text app. Is there a way to fix this or do I need to rename the messaging.apk?

Upvote 0
I added the .bak to the original file name (ie. amazonmp3.apk.bak) or whatever it's called and it still shows up in the app drawer.

I've got Handcent installed and I'm getting double notifications for texts. I get one for Handcent and one for the stock Text app. Is there a way to fix this or do I need to rename the messaging.apk?

You have 2 options:
1. Just disable notifications in the stock messaging app
2. Remove, or freeze the stock messaging app if you dont want it in your app drawer, thats what I did.

Reactions: murdoc158
Upvote 0

In the settings of the stock mms app you can go into settings and turn off notifications:)

Reactions: murdoc158
Upvote 0

Just drop the .apk altogether. (Using your example: mv amazonmp3.apk.bak amazonmp3.bak) I would assume since the .apk is still in there Android still sees it as an app, though I would need someone with a bit more know how to verify this. Anyway, I changed my file extensions from .apk to .bak and it removed everything except Blockbuster--which had updates installed so I had to remove them before Blockbuster would actually go away.

Upvote 0
Edit: I do not use any "social Network" stuff so last night I froze the following apps and then uninstalled them this morning. Everything has been working fine.

Social Messaging 2.1
Social Messaging Service
Social Networking
Social Sharing
Social Status

Anyone have any idea if it will still pull facebook pics for your contacts? That's the only part of the whole social thing I like. Otherwise, I'd like to get rid of as much Moto stuff so it will quit pulling data from the net and using my battery.

EDIT:
I have removed:
  • Superlonglist
And a few others without issues so far.
So as a n00b, I'm wondering what features this gets rid of? And what alternatives there are to a few of the features (such as a gcalendar/gtasks widget or lockscreen add-on)? I just don't know Android well enough to know what features of my contacts, etc has been added through Motoblur? And therefore don't know if its worth removing or if I should wait for 2.2 to mess with all this.

Upvote 0
I froze and then completely removed all of these apps and did not have any problems even after performing a full data reset:

Kindle
Amazon MP3
City ID
Blockbuster
Weather 2.1
Emergency Alert
Corporate Directory
3G Hotspot
Home Screen Tips
My Verizon
Email 2.1
FM Radio 2.1
FMRadioServices
Help Center
Messages 2.1
Messaging 2.1
News
Social Messaging 2.1
Social Messaging Services
Social Network
Social Sharing
Social Status
VPN Services

Upvote 0

Sorry to necro an older thread but I spent hours trying to figure this out myself and then I had a stupid moment and realized what it was by utilizing a command very familiar to us linux guys via adb:

find / -name \*amazon*

try this command and see if you find any instances of it left on your system.

I wanted to post this even though its a necro thread because I know there has to be others out there in the same situation as us who haven't figured this out yet.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones