• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Rom][5-26-12]Broken Out Spectrum 3.0 w/ Blitzkrieg Kernel

I agree... After the Blitzkrieg kernel was introduced, I has fewer reboots. I got some occasionally, but they were app-specific.

Not everybody has reboots, I have been running BO for months and only time it's ever rebooted was in a hot car running GPS and navigation so it was most likely a heat issue not ROM related. That's even running ADW and with full apps and data restores using Titanium Backup. If you were having that big an issue even on stock you probably need a replacement.

You are right, I should have replaced my Spectrum immediately but I decided that working with a potentially defective Spectrum could give me some insight on how to help others with related issues. And you are right again with the fact that reboots don't occur with everyone, and I'm glad that your Spectrum is performing well under those conditions, I can't help but envy your Spectrum. However, how much help would I be if I said that my phone is fine and in tip top shape and another comes for some assistance and all I could say was, "Sorry, I don't know about you but my phone is doing great!" I realize that you could read this the wrong way but believe me this isn't directed towards you. I'm simply creating a hypothetical scenario. But the bottom line is I didn't get a great Spectrum with a great Stock ROM. That's why I got Broken Out in the first place. After using it for what, 2-3 weeks now I think its safe to report what I've been experiencing and my thoughts.

First of all, I would like to thank the developer of this ROM and everything he has done for this small community. Once I am able, I plan to donate for continued support and development. This rom is definitely a step above the stock rom.

I have a few questions maybe a few of you can answer...

One of my biggest complaints about this rom is the GPS not establishing a solid lock once it's enabled or the random disconnects of the bluetooth. Now I have read and have been told this is a common bug in gingerbread. I am wondering if anyone has experienced the same issues and perhaps what methods have you tried to correct this?

Further, I am a new to flashing roms and rooting phones. I have only owned two smart phones (Droid X and this LG Spectrum) so I am not entirely familiar with everything. Please allow me to apologize in advance for my lack of understanding. I know what it's like to deal with "oh great, another n00b to deal with."

Lastly, I am also experiencing reboots on the phone however I see there is another thread for that and I am going to attempt to work through some of the suggested methods as well as eliminating applications that may be a cause.

Thanks for the help that anyone may be able to offer.

If you're having issues with gps, you can clear the gprs cache and that may resolve the problem. I haven't had any issues with gps lock on this rom, but I did on my D2 and clearing the cache resolved it.

If you're having issues with gps, you can clear the gprs cache and that may resolve the problem. I haven't had any issues with gps lock on this rom, but I did on my D2 and clearing the cache resolved it.

I assume this is just wiping the cache partition in CWM?

Can you explain how to 'clear the gprs cache'? Thank you sir!!!

Download an app called "GPS Status & Toolbox": https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.eclipsim.gpsstatus2

Go to Menu, then Tools. Click 'Manage A-GPS state' and then 'reset'. That will clear the GPS cache on the phone and will pull the data again the next time you use GPS.

I'd recommend doing this inside, with the GPS off, so you get a good clear. Sorry, btw... I was calling it 'gprs', when it's actually 'A-GPS' or 'aGPS'.

Give that a go and let us know if you can get GPS. Otherwise, there's a rooted app called 'Fasterfix' that claims to have a better connection rate because it syncs your phone to NTP time. Of course, if you use an app like ClockSync, you don't need Fasterfix, because it'll sync your phone to NTP automatically (I use ClockSync... it's THE best atomic/NTP sync app out there, IMO).

I was having major lock issues with the GPS (Would see but never lock). GPS Status would not resolve it with a reset or A-GPS data download. The only way I could fix it was to wipe normal and dalvik cache. Works in 0-5 seconds now (In and out of house).

ClockSync will not work for me on stock ROM. I just get "Can't get NTP offset, network problem?".

Edit: NVM, servers must have dropped for a min.

ClockSync is a great app and that seemed to fix my GPS issue, except everything was reversed? North became south west became east? Not sure what happened... I was also getting significantly more reboots after the GPS Status and ClockSync install and that was pretty much a breaking point for me.

I wiped the phone and reinstalled BO 3.0 and Blitzkrieg so far so good. Even managed to bench 7310 in AnTuTu which I was never able to do prior. Not sure if these apps were causing the problem but I am no longer running Memory Booster lite or Juicedefender for the time being. I am probably going to flash back to v6 and wait for the ICS OTA to hit.

Still pretty satisfied with the Rom despite the issues.

I might install Plague tonight just to see how that one is. Thanks again to all that offered help.

With Verizon marking the Spectrum as End of Life, I am thinking we will not see ICS until someone ports it in the community. I would try to install the leaked version, but I can't seem to find that anywhere.

With Verizon marking the Spectrum as End of Life, I am thinking we will not see ICS until someone ports it in the community. I would try to install the leaked version, but I can't seem to find that anywhere.
We'll get offical ics and soon. Don't worry about it at all.

we are definitely getting ics and very soon at that. This is for sure

GPS Test is a great app for the GPS problem! I kind of wish Google maps would automatically clear Agps and Update Agps...I do it now every time I'm about to use the GPS and it finds my signal Immediately! Wish I had used this app with my original Droid.

Where did you get the info about the Spectrum receiving EOL? It is still currently being sold on Verizon LG Spectrum - Spectrum by LG: 4G Smartphone | Verizon Wireless Also LG has has finished the ICS Rom update and is waiting on Verizon to release it.

Where did you get the info about the Spectrum receiving EOL? It is still currently being sold on Verizon LG Spectrum - Spectrum by LG: 4G Smartphone | Verizon Wireless Also LG has has finished the ICS Rom update and is waiting on Verizon to release it.

Somebody posted a cheesy article that stated it's EOL status. There were other inaccuracies as well, and I have not seen it reported anywhere else, but seems like everybody who read it assumed it was fact. I believe it was an assumption on the writer's part due to the VS930 development.

The only time I have ever had a reboot or freeze is when my phone gets really hot and I am trying to surf the internet. I live in phoenix so right now it is hot out and if i leave my phone in my truck and try to use it if it is hot it acts up. Any other time it works like a champ no matter what I do with it. I have used every ROM made for the spectrum, and am currently using Black Plague. I don't know what settings you guys use to get such good battery life but mine makes it through a day at best, usually is dead at around 6pm. I use it pretty heavily, calls, emails, texts, internet etc. but some of you guys are getting ridiculous times. My phone will lose about 15% throughout the night while I am sleeping. Any tips on what to change?

The only time I have ever had a reboot or freeze is when my phone gets really hot and I am trying to surf the internet. I live in phoenix so right now it is hot out and if i leave my phone in my truck and try to use it if it is hot it acts up. Any other time it works like a champ no matter what I do with it. I have used every ROM made for the spectrum, and am currently using Black Plague. I don't know what settings you guys use to get such good battery life but mine makes it through a day at best, usually is dead at around 6pm. I use it pretty heavily, calls, emails, texts, internet etc. but some of you guys are getting ridiculous times. My phone will lose about 15% throughout the night while I am sleeping. Any tips on what to change?

Try out this Broken Out ROM with the Plague Kernel. I've experienced constant reboots with the Black Plague after trying to do an Antutu Benchmark. Wish I hadn't because now I can't seem to get Black Plague to work smoothly anymore.

As a means of desperation, I flashed Broken Out 3.0 and then flashed the Plague Kernel. Right now its fast without any reboots. I'm glad its fine that way and battery life is always amazing. Perhaps it can do the same for you.

My apologies, I was a bit naive about that, though I did find an article that also states that VZW tends to EOL lower selling phones after about 6 months, and the Spectrum 2 is about to be released. So, I was rather not surprised when I read it was EOL'd.

Good to hear ICS seems to be coming any day now, or week, or month.

I am trying to run Cryptonite to mount EncFS volumes directly, but it seems that this requires kernel FUSE support (or CONFIG_FUSE_FS setting enabled) or fuse.ko file. Would it be possible to add this to Blitzkrieg Kernel?

I am sure others could, give a more current and accurate status; I recall that mt has lost his imei number while trying the ICS leak, and no longer has a working spectrum. Not sure what happened after that.

I am sure others could, give a more current and accurate status; I recall that mt has lost his imei number while trying the ICS leak, and no longer has a working spectrum. Not sure what happened after that.

i do believe he got it all fixed, i would imagine he is waiting out the ICS update.

Actually mt's phone died because he left it in a hot workshop and he said he went to use it and it was off and would never turn back on.

I'm sure he'll be back around I just think life has kept him busy lately.

Back
Top Bottom