• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [ROM] ApeX 1.2 Series for Droid X - Functionality and Performance (12/7/10)

This ROM is amazing, I can't get over how fast and smooth everything is, it's actually better than the previous Apex. With Launcher Pro Plus I'm able to use the 3D app drawer and the high quality scrolling for the homescreens without any lag or stuttering at all.

Also, I just wanted to let people know that if you apply the clock removal mod it does not remove the fancy animations from Apex.

Fab, beer money is on the way to you.

Upvote 0
Nice speed update but having trouble with:

When I use the embedded over clock phone restarts every 10 minutes of use?

When I switched to DX/D2 overclock only restarts once every couple hours.

GPS unable to locate reguardless of app.

Google Nav forces restart.

It is crazy buggy. I have done a full wipe and reload twice.

I did check to make sure I have the right version too.

I used the official Z4 to root.

I tried to install through ROM Manager OTA but it never boots into recovery. The app is worthless and vendor refuses to email anyone back.

How do I boot into Motorola's recovery and load the ROM from SD? It currently fails to find it.

I am a Palm Homebrew convert and this is crazy confusing compared to Palm.

Please take it is on me, I am new and not a complete idiot. I also use a MAC so that is my other issue for loading ROMs.

Any help would be great.

Thank you.

Upvote 0
Hey Fab, thanks for the quick work on Revolution! Any word on a NexTheme update? Thanks again bro!

Edit: Oh, and dusinjo, let us know what version of the rom you're running and what rom you had installed on your Dx prior to applying Apex. That will really help the guys here determine what may have gone wrong during the install.

Upvote 0
Nice speed update but having trouble with:

When I use the embedded over clock phone restarts every 10 minutes of use?

When I switched to DX/D2 overclock only restarts once every couple hours.

GPS unable to locate reguardless of app.

Google Nav forces restart.

It is crazy buggy. I have done a full wipe and reload twice.

I did check to make sure I have the right version too.

I used the official Z4 to root.

I tried to install through ROM Manager OTA but it never boots into recovery. The app is worthless and vendor refuses to email anyone back.

How do I boot into Motorola's recovery and load the ROM from SD? It currently fails to find it.

I am a Palm Homebrew convert and this is crazy confusing compared to Palm.

Please take it is on me, I am new and not a complete idiot. I also use a MAC so that is my other issue for loading ROMs.

Any help would be great.

Thank you.

Did you install this over anything else or was it installed on a clean base?

Upvote 0
I loaded the non-leak version on top of 1.0 and everything seemed to work fine except now winamp is giving me a parsing error. I did not wipe cache or data. Is that the problem?

Most likely, but perhaps it can be fixed by just clearing Winamp's data through settings, applications, manage applications.

Upvote 0
Yes, I did load boot strap and run it per instructions from another forum. The little android and triangle ! pops up for a second the the phone restarts. Vendor has nto emailed me back and it looks like other DX users are having the same issue.

As far as a clean base I wiped all data and cache prior to install. Is there something else I need to be doing.

My main issue is the GPS right now. I use it for Places, Fourquare, Google Nava and weather. I travel 300 days a year and use everything daily.

It was a stock Verizon base.

Upvote 0
Fab, I took your Revolution theme and used it to create a Nextheme port. All is well, however I have one small glitch. When I select the tabs in the phone the text goes black since the framework has been updated and the grey area doesn't surround the selection. Is there a quick fix for this?

Thanks.

Unfortunately, I believe the only way to fix this is to decompile the framework, edit the corresponding .xmls to make the font remain white, and recompile. :(

Yes, I did load boot strap and run it per instructions from another forum. The little android and triangle ! pops up for a second the the phone restarts. Vendor has nto emailed me back and it looks like other DX users are having the same issue.

As far as a clean base I wiped all data and cache prior to install. Is there something else I need to be doing.

My main issue is the GPS right now. I use it for Places, Fourquare, Google Nava and weather. I travel 300 days a year and use everything daily.

It was a stock Verizon base.

I think I had another person who was having GPS issues and he did another wipe (factory reset) triggered from within Android and it fixed the issue.

Upvote 0
REVOlution Theme
-Works for both versions. Please do the following first! Go into settings, applications, manage applications, go to Market and Google Search, and uninstall updates for both!

Fab-

I have an "Uninstall updates" button in google search, but not in Market (it shows version 2.09, and just a greyed out "Uninstall" button). Am I good to go?

BTW, 1.0.2.2 over 2.3.15.

Upvote 0
Based on all the great things I've heard, and my prior positive experience with ApeX 1.0 I'm very tempted to jump from TranQ 3.5 and get on board the ApeX train once again...

I'm currently very happy with my present setup and struggling to justify re-setting everything up...

Can you guys "sell" me on this rom - what features does it offer that I would currently be missing on TranQ 3.5?

PS. I already was able to obtain Fab's fancy animations from this rom, and gave myself circle battery indicators from XDA forums...

Upvote 0
Fab-

I have an "Uninstall updates" button in google search, but not in Market (it shows version 2.09, and just a greyed out "Uninstall" button). Am I good to go?

BTW, 1.0.2.2 over 2.3.15.

Yeah, you're good to go. I guess the instructions should say uninstall updates for those two apps if you can :D

fab i just want to say your the champ, best roms, and themes i have seen thus far, are you going to make more themes? or are you going to focus primarily on roms for now?

Gonna port over some more themes for ApeX. NexTheme is next. Also, probably gonna get the inverted AOSP theme. Any other requests, I'll try to get the most popular ones ported over for ApeX users ;)

Based on all the great things I've heard, and my prior positive experience with ApeX 1.0 I'm very tempted to jump from TranQ 3.5 and get on board the ApeX train once again...

I'm currently very happy with my present setup and struggling to justify re-setting everything up...

Can you guys "sell" me on this rom - what features does it offer that I would currently be missing on TranQ 3.5?

PS. I already was able to obtain Fab's fancy animations from this rom, and gave myself circle battery indicators from XDA forums...

ApeX is great because of the wide variety of choice it offers the user in terms of which apps they want (i.e AOSP vs Blur) and makes it convenient to easily switch between them. But if you're already all set up and have all the apps you want with TranQ, then it might not be worth the hassle of redoing your entire set up :)

Upvote 0

I'm also a happy TranQ 3.5 user who was running ApeX before. Not sure I need to be "sold" on ApeX, but I would like to hear any comparisons from those who have used both TranQ 3.5 and ApeX 1.2.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones