• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [ROM] GingerbreadCM7

this is where i dig into the Apple files :D!

its the baseband, im not 100% on this but given from what i learned from iphone jailbreaking. baseband could be the key.

BUTTT two issues, one i don't know what would constitute as the baseband or how we can even extract it from an older android version, and two if the baseband has any file structure changes from 2.3 that wasn't in 2.2 or 2.2.1, then it would have to be rebuilt from a 2.2 for 2.3 ;D

this is where i dig into the Apple files :D!

its the baseband, im not 100% on this but given from what i learned from iphone jailbreaking. baseband could be the key.

BUTTT two issues, one i don't know what would constitute as the baseband or how we can even extract it from an older android version, and two if the baseband has any file structure changes from 2.3 that wasn't in 2.2 or 2.2.1, then it would have to be rebuilt from a 2.2 for 2.3 ;D

The baseband almost certainly the problem but in theory the physical baseband shouldnt change. Most custom Roms do not come with the baseband, only stock roms from the manufacturer so I'm thinking that after flashing the gingerbread rom the old one is still in place but the new rom isn't looking in the right place. Does that make any sense?

okay where do I start? First off glad to see some interest in this :D Well the baseband definitely isn't the issue. Baseband is actually referring to the radio.img which is something that you will never ever touch unless you purposely put it in an update zip. It's controled by rild and other files as I recall.
The apn files in your phone are actually useless. An apn is supposed to control web and mms. But but but phone companies aren't letting that happen. They are hiding the actual apn settings in other places like the mms.apk, framework-res.apk and who knows where else.
To actually get mms and interwebs to work shouldn't be that hard but it's gonna take some digging with apk manager.
I got my ubuntu pretty much set up the way I like it just had to convert some batch files to bash. So I'm hoping to have a beta in the next few days or weeks.

lol well it was a blind shot in the dark for my guess, i've been trying to figure out what could be telling the radio which towers to look at. but i think reppard might be right in a way, 2.2 to 2.2.1 isn't a big jump but maybe there were some changes in the way the baseband was coded in 2.3, thats another blind shot though.

i will continue to try to figure out myself as well though where i could dig to make it work right. i've not lost interest in this rom just lost a lot of free time >.<

There are some libs that in /system/lib that effect the way the radio communicates. libril.so along with a few others. I've tried to use the ones from 2.2.1 but had no results. I also notices that the gingerbread rom only has one init script while 2.2.1 has like four. Still looking will give updates on my findings. Lets crack this thing!

Edit: I am an idiot. All the init scripts are located in the boot.img

2iTvRx7

zuIS12w

I am sending this from gingerbread on the optimus m! Now lets get the rest of the hardware working!

yes plz share ive been tearing the original rom and mixing the files with older roms and flashing it to the phone with no luck :confused:

awesome, thx. :D if you need help with anything let me know and i'll do what i can ^^ seems like you both have this handled though if you could get it to connect when so many have been trying xD

I hope we can get this rom working so the battery works better. My battery only lasted about half a day to about a quarter while on this rom..... :(

Update: Phone service and data are both working, gps is now working, it was a little funky at first saying I was in north carolina when I live in georgia but I got it out on the road in it seem to get back in what is the correct location. Now let's see if we can overclock this thing and get this b**** into landscape mode!

a reppard when you releasing the updated cm7 rom?

and wondering besides overclocking whats so great about cm7?

a reppard when you releasing the updated cm7 rom?

and wondering besides overclocking whats so great about cm7?

Well for starters its gingerbread and not froyo! The theme selector and themes alone make it worth the switch for me. Cleaner interface. Updated keyboard better selection tools just to name a few. I've been using it for almost 2 days and I don't want to flash back to froyo. Few more hardware fixes and it should be ready

Update: I just got the acceleration sensor functioning! And that should take care of the magnetic field and proximity sensor because the are on the same chipset. Gotta do some more testing. For some reason when USB cable is plugged in it wont go into debug and also file transfer mode is not working but I'm going to tackle that now. Almost there boys.

Can I please get someone to do some usb testing on this rom if you have it. See if you can get it to connect in mass storage mode and check the adb conectivity. It is not working on my computer. There is a slight chance that my linux kernel module just doesn't like gingerbread. Thank you in advance.

Can I please get someone to do some usb testing on this rom if you have it. See if you can get it to connect in mass storage mode and check the adb conectivity. It is not working on my computer. There is a slight chance that my linux kernel module just doesn't like gingerbread. Thank you in advance.

I tested and it does the same on my computer. It wont connect into usb storage. I can use adb but usb storage doesn`t work. :(

I tested and it does the same on my computer. It wont connect into usb storage. I can use adb but usb storage doesn`t work. :(

Thanks joneidy. I am gonna try and tackle it when I get home from work. After I get the USB working and fix mms this thing is ready for beta!

Back
Top Bottom