• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [ROM] GingerbreadCM7

A big thanks once again to all of our developers for making our small phone into the little engine that could! Big love to joneidy, asadullah (ive seen this guy on all sorts of forums!), reppard and anyone else who is proactive in the community. WE <3 YOU ALL....no homo XD

ps- im down for beta and long walks on the beach XD XD XD

Can I please get someone to do some usb testing on this rom if you have it. See if you can get it to connect in mass storage mode and check the adb conectivity. It is not working on my computer. There is a slight chance that my linux kernel module just doesn't like gingerbread. Thank you in advance.

i can try to test this myself but just the thought of flashing and redoing my phone twice mid week is a major con in my willingness >.<

i know they have this issue with the ascend one too though because one of my friends has it and he flashed that rom with the same issue as what you're having :o

i can try to test this myself but just the thought of flashing and redoing my phone twice mid week is a major con in my willingness &gt;.&lt;

i know they have this issue with the ascend one too though because one of my friends has it and he flashed that rom with the same issue as what you're having :o

That's what nandroid backups are for :)

Ya I already have the custom recovery from joneidy for 2.2.1 phones

I also have Joniedy's Sense Rom on the phone. I love the way that rom functions So if I can keep that intact and test this gingerbread rom and then go back to my fully working Sense Rom with all my apps, Id love to do that. Just dont know how

Ya I already have the custom recovery from joneidy for 2.2.1 phones

I also have Joniedy's Sense Rom on the phone. I love the way that rom functions So if I can keep that intact and test this gingerbread rom and then go back to my fully working Sense Rom with all my apps, Id love to do that. Just dont know how

You should have quick boot. open it and click recovery. The phone will reboot into recovery. Then just do a nandroid back up, then wipe data, and flash the new rom. If you want to switch back and forth faster after you make sure the new rom boots good make another nandroid. Then its a simple as restoring the nandroid backup. Switch back and forth with ease. Ive done this a few times trying to figure out which rom I liked.

how did the Huawei Ascend get CyanogenMod 6 and CyanogenMod 7 lol?

http://androidforums.com/ascend-all...nt-04212011-cricket-metropcs-mms-working.html

their on two markets, wider user base to help develop than we on only the metro market have D:

I don't know how much wider we can get! the Optimus is being used by Verizon (LG Vortex), Sprint (Optimus S), T-Mobile (Optimus T), Virgin (Optimus V, and subsidiary of Sprint), U.S. Cellular (Optimus U), several phone companies in Canada, and coming to AT&T (Optimus A).

Between Verizon and Sprint (plus Virgin), you have the widest market available right there. Those are CDMA companies like Metro. And their phones can be "flashed" to Metro easily. So, any Gingerbread ROM on those phones should take only minimal work to translate to Metro?

I don't know how much wider we can get! the Optimus is being used by Verizon (LG Ally), Sprint (Optimus S), T-Mobile (Optimus T), Virgin (Optimus V, and subsidiary of Sprint), U.S. Cellular (Optimus U), several phone companies in Canada, and coming to AT&T (Optimus A).

Between Verizon and Sprint (plus Virgin), you have the widest market available right there. Those are CDMA companies like Metro. And their phones can be "flashed" to Metro easily. So, any Gingerbread ROM on those phones should take only minimal work to translate to Metro?

well you would think, but this is porting a rom from one phone over to another, and while the phones are relatives just like a human relative to you, there are slight internal differences. the ascend has two markets that are using the exact same phone, so it literally has two markets, not many with multiple models :D

well you would think, but this is porting a rom from one phone over to another, and while the phones are relatives just like a human relative to you, there are slight internal differences. the ascend has two markets that are using the exact same phone, so it literally has two markets, not many with multiple models :D

tell me the two Ascend markets to which you are referring. I do not understand your distinction when I have listed many markets for the Optimus worldwide.

The Optimus is used worldwide as the Optimus One P500 but that's mostly GSM only. Worldwide it's called the "Optimus One". Whereas in North America, the markets I listed in U.S. and Canada are CDMA. That's at least "two" markets with several carriers.

tell me specifically what you are talking about instead of just repeating the same vague statement.

Any phone like the Ascend used by Metro and then by another carrier like Cricket is the same as the Optimus used by Metro and also Cricket.

Ummm...

The Ascend isn't even an LG...

Nobody said the Ascend was LG. The point they were making was if a piece of crap like the Huawei Ascend can have a 2.3 ROM, why can't our nice LG Optimus? :)

Ummm...

What other Optimus is exactly the same as the Optimus M?

LG Optimus One - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Worldwide, this phone is known as the Optimus One. In North America (U.S. and Canada), it's been re-named according to the carriers. Optimus S, T, M, U, A, etc.

Telus in Canada (CDMA carrier) calls it "LG Optimus 3G." Bell Canada calls it the LG Optimus Chic. Rogers in Canada calls it the Optimus One like the rest of the world.

Do you want me to list every country in the world that sells this phone -- across Europe, Latin America and Asia? It's the SAME phone worldwide in 100 markets.

The GSM and CDMA variants have different chipsets of course, but otherwise same hardware specs across all carriers (CPU, camera, RAM, etc). Some carriers wanted buttons positioned slightly differently and in a couple of cases the side hardware buttons do different things. But internally it's the same phone.

LG sold over 2 million of these phones within 40 days of release. They estimate they will sell over 10 million soon.

This phone has been a huge success worldwide -- hitting the "sweet spot" in features and price.

Seems to me that if they were identical, things like GPS, the accelerometer, USB mode, etc, would work without fuss.

Look up the Verizon Moto v710 and e815. They're old phones I had when I first really started hacking these things. They look the same, right?

They're not.

Seems to me that if they were identical, things like GPS, the accelerometer, USB mode, etc, would work without fuss.

Look up the Verizon Moto v710 and e815. They're old phones I had when I first really started hacking these things. They look the same, right?

They're not.

The LG Optimus One is the same phone being sold in 100 countries/markets/various carriers.

So why doesn't everything work with this ROM?

sans the cell radio, obviously.

Just trying to understand what the difficulty is in porting this over.

So why doesn't everything work with this ROM?

sans the cell radio, obviously.

Just trying to understand what the difficulty is in porting this over.

A lot of the hardware is pretty similar but they require different libraries in binary to make them functional. I have all the hardware ported and functioning with the exception of usb mass storage module. I believe this is a kernel issue. As soon as the mms is working I will release the beta.

I dont know how some of you guys get the ideas about the optimus being this universal phone but it is not. It is one model of a family of phones. You and your sibling arent the same are you? That is how it works between the V, One, M, etc etc. while on the other hand there is the EXACT same phone (Ascend) being used on two different networks and thus twice the size of people wanting to hack the same phone. We have it a bit more difficult but we shall overcome our obsticles. Just make sure to please respect the devs and not harass them with when wheres and whys. they have lives too and none of us pay them for their hard work. You can donate to their coffee fund so they have the black gold to sustain them during the darkest of nights.

I dont know how some of you guys get the ideas about the optimus being this universal phone but it is not. It is one model of a family of phones.

WRONG.

It's the LG Optimus One.

End of story. Go do some research.

I have posted all the links for you to peruse, so please do not make make ignorant (lack of education) statements.

LG has different chipsets for CDMA and GSM but so do all other cell phone manufacturers. LG has accommodated the carriers by making the hardware buttons do different things sometimes or by exterior material (cheap plastic, or expensive looking plastic). But it's the same phone internally.

LG is not making 100 different varieties of this phone, believe me. It's the same phone, with some customization for the different carriers.

That's why LG shows they sold 2 million of these in 40 days, bucko. 2 million. Not different phones, the same phone sold to different carriers. They say they will sell 10 million by end of this year.

WRONG.

It's the LG Optimus One.

End of story. Go do some research.

I have posted all the links for you to peruse, so please do not make make ignorant (lack of education) statements.

LG has different chipsets for CDMA and GSM but so do all other cell phone manufacturers. LG has accommodated the carriers by making the hardware buttons do different things sometimes or by exterior material (cheap plastic, or expensive looking plastic). But it's the same phone internally.

That's why LG shows they sold 2 million of these in 40 days, bucko. 2 million. Not different phones, the same phone sold to different carriers. They say they will sell 10 million by end of this year.

If it is exactly the same then why is this rom not fully functional from the beginning? Keep in mind it wasn't just the radio that didn't work. Nearly all the sensors with the exception of the touch screen were not functioning. And with newer optimistic v kernels even that doesn't work.

Back
Top Bottom